Allen West resigns as chair of Texas Republican Party

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Allen West resigns as chair of Texas Republican Party

Post by KC5AV »

...fueling speculation that he plans to challenge Greg Abbott.
https://www.news-journal.com/news/local ... d61b4.html
NRA lifetime member

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Allen West resigns as chair of Texas Republican Party

Post by bbhack »

He would need a Trump endorsement if he is thinking about a challenge. I know some people are not happy, but Trump has said positive things about Abbott recently.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Interesting development.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:36 pm Interesting development.
yes it is.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Maybe he would run against John Cornyn
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

flowrie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 pm Maybe he would run against John Cornyn
I stood 2 feet from him (he was speaking at a group event to which I belong) and asked him to do just that. It was before Cornyn was relected. In retrospect, he probably didn't have enough time to ramp up a campaign to overcome Cornyn's incumbent power but I really, really wanted him to run.

Now I really, really, really want him to run for Governor. We need someone with DeSantis' moxey and I think Lt. Col West has at least that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:05 pm
I stood 2 feet from him (he was speaking at a group event to which I belong) and asked him to do just that. It was before Cornyn was relected. In retrospect, he probably didn't have enough time to ramp up a campaign to overcome Cornyn's incumbent power but I really, really wanted him to run.

Now I really, really, really want him to run for Governor. We need someone with DeSantis' moxey and I think Lt. Col West has at least that.
Do some research.

Chas

Topic author
KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Texas GOP chairman announces he's running against Abbott in Republican primary
https://www.news-journal.com/news/local ... ium=social

This should be interesting.
NRA lifetime member

dru

Post by dru »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Do some research.

Chas
Meaning what, exactly?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

dru wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:01 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Do some research.

Chas
Meaning what, exactly?
I, too, am curious what that meant. I have read up on Allen West's background. Much of what is said against him goes back to his time as an Army commander serving in Iraq, and specifically an incident where he violently threatened a "detainee". IIRC, the detainee was reported to be either an IED-maker, or had direct ties to an IED-maker, whose bombs had inflicted casualties on some of then-Lieutenant Colonel West's troops. The US Army got a proverbial black eye from that incident as the detainee later reported it to some organization which lodged an official complaint against Colonel West. He was forced to retire from active service over the incident. TBH, I am pretty ambivalent about that incident. While I am fully against torturing the soldiers of any other nation's military, the detainee wasn't a soldier. He wasn't even an official paramilitary, just a terrorist, IMHO. So, I leave that incident out of any opinion I have formed about Allen West, and my opinion of the man could go either way depending upon what information I got about him from a reliable source.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I assumed Charles was referring to West's time at the NRA, but of course I can't be sure.

NRA board member Allen West urges CEO LaPierre to step down
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Sounds like West might be a good alternative to Abbott, if he can fend off that idiot Matthew McConahee, or whatever his name is. Not that I have anything against Abbott; I really like the guy.

West's association with the NRA could work for or against him, depending one the mindset of the steadily growing Texas liberal Democrat voting bloc.
-Ruark

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I’m going out on a limb here, but LTC West’s time in Congress and subsequent failure to win re-election.

He voted for the Patriot Act, which in some quarters is very unpopular and it was repeatedly said that the Colonel have incorrect or false answers in Town Halls regarding the contents and effect of the bill.

Throw in his stint with the NRA, move to Texas and ascension to the GOP Chair and you could make the car that LTC West has been searching for a venue to allow for a relaunch of his political career.

IMO, I think this is a mistake. Governor Abbott is relatively popular and has been making the right moves to nail down his conservative/right support, even if a bit tardily. I think LTC West was doing fine in the GOP Chair and was aggravating the crap out of many of the RINO’s in the Texas House and Senate. He should have stayed there for longer period and pushed the party further to the Libertarian Right.

Although I’m not a huge Abbott fan, I’ll support him in the primary and then race.

Jeff B.
Last edited by Jeff B. on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The only thing I want to see is RINO Cornyn to be replaced with a real Conservative, I Have no Issues with Abbott at this time!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am not 100% happy with the governor but not really wanting him out either. I have nothing against LTC West, but it does look like some debatable parts in his past could hurt him. I agree that Cornyn is more of a liability to us than Abbott, but since he was just re-elected it looks like we are stuck with him for at least four more years.

I am surprised that so far, only George P. Bush has announced a challenge to Paxton for AG. I think Paxton has done well for us so far, but his personal legal problems make him very vulnerable, IMO. I had thought that Glenn Hegar would try to move up to AG from Comptroller, if only to prep for a future run for LT Governor or Governor.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Off-Topic”