Is it me or are postings down

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is it me or are postings down

Post by aaangel »

TBH guys given our recent climate right now, .80cents/round for a fmj 9. ive picked up a new hobby. gym,mountain biking and tennis. i still reminisce on the good ole days........just 4 yrs ago actually , when we can buy 1000r of sellier bellot fmj european gov't contract ammo for $173.80 @sgammo.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

THE ENGINEER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 pm I think folks have lost interest in the forum due to a shift in the topics being discussed or they feel like it is an otherwise uninviting environment.

Personally, I feel the forum has become too much of a political soundboard. Topics far outside of Texas CHL or Texas gun legislation are commonplace. Many people are simply sick and tired of hearing about the election, theories about voter fraud, and so on.

Titles such as “George Floyd who died of an overdose….”, “Covid19…from China”, “Joe Xiden”…and so on do not give the appearance of an inviting forum where all ethnicities or races that are interested in learning about Texas gun laws or concealed carry are welcome. Combine that with at least one member sporting a confederate flag avatar and others that make exclusionary comments, I can see why forum activities are slow.

Shift forum focus back to TX concealed carry with an emphasis on helping anyone interested in learning about gun safety and Texas gun laws and I bet forum activity increases.
No doubt that discussing TX concealed carry is a strong point for the forum. But we've ALL been through a lot over the last 15 months and NEED to talk about it. Bottling it up inside doesn't help. I come hear to discuss and hear from others about the reality of Covid19, Uncle Joe and "Saint Floyd". You can read the oligarchs party line plenty of other places, but with FB and others banning actual discussion of the subjects.... discovering the facts and truth make this forum unique. Threads are nicely arraigned so you don't have to read what you aren't interested in.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I end up discarding more of my posts than I actually submit. Writing it down helps, but I seem to be getting much more cynical as I age and that really doesn't translate well into the written word especially in our current climate.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Iunnrais wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 am I end up discarding more of my posts than I actually submit. Writing it down helps, but I seem to be getting much more cynical as I age and that really doesn't translate well into the written word especially in our current climate.
LOL, so I'm not the only one. I write it, reread it and then think, it's not worth engaging, why am I being drawn in? Sometimes I still succumb.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

jerry_r60 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am
Iunnrais wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 am I end up discarding more of my posts than I actually submit. Writing it down helps, but I seem to be getting much more cynical as I age and that really doesn't translate well into the written word especially in our current climate.
LOL, so I'm not the only one. I write it, reread it and then think, it's not worth engaging, why am I being drawn in? Sometimes I still succumb.
There's a lot of benefit from debate and disagreements. The current climate makes me miss the earlier days of the internet where people spoke more openly and freely.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

THE ENGINEER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 pm I think folks have lost interest in the forum due to a shift in the topics being discussed or they feel like it is an otherwise uninviting environment.

Personally, I feel the forum has become too much of a political soundboard. Topics far outside of Texas CHL or Texas gun legislation are commonplace. Many people are simply sick and tired of hearing about the election, theories about voter fraud, and so on.

Titles such as “George Floyd who died of an overdose….”, “Covid19…from China”, “Joe Xiden”…and so on do not give the appearance of an inviting forum where all ethnicities or races that are interested in learning about Texas gun laws or concealed carry are welcome. Combine that with at least one member sporting a confederate flag avatar and others that make exclusionary comments, I can see why forum activities are slow.

Shift forum focus back to TX concealed carry with an emphasis on helping anyone interested in learning about gun safety and Texas gun laws and I bet forum activity increases.
There's a common element to many of those political-leaning threads.
I've not appreciated most of it either, but, this is not my house so, I'll defer to the mods.
I plan to stick around until they kick me out, however. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:35 am There's a common element to many of those political-leaning threads.
I've not appreciated most of it either, but, this is not my house so, I'll defer to the mods.
Yes sir, this is true. This seems to be, at times, a news aggregator site with more linked stories than Drudge and Bongino combined.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

:iagree: As a friend of mine is found of saying "is the gold in the mine worth the digging?" It takes time and effort to engage with others once a discussion is started and I often decide that it isn't worth the effort to beat the same horse again.

My own opinion is that most here recognize is that there is little that we can do to stop the trajectory that we are on for a lot of topics that might be discussed. I've called the Texas Legislature until I'm blue in the face and they are tone deaf to most of what I have to say - including my own House member. We sure have little impact at the Federal level. And the thought of unleashing the cancel culture on me means that I carefully want to pick the conflicts that I'm willing to start.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I've been on this forum for a long time and have seen the political posts quite often after an election doesn't go our way. However, this year, with all that has happened in the last year, it has become more and more. It's the same with MSM as well as most TV shows now address it some how on a daily basis.
As for me, I have never posted much. Not for any other reason than I really don't have much free time. I hop on here maybe a couple of times a day just to read and if I have something to say, I will post. I think the Mods are doing a great job of keeping this a family forum and keeping the peace. A lot of people have come and gone from here, some only post once or twice, and some try to antagonize us. But this forum has grown way beyond what Mr. Cotton had expected. In fact, I remember him posting, I think it was when we hit 500 members, that he didn't expect to get more than 100. There have been long time members drop off, some have come and gone but overall, this is by far the best gun forum out there and I have been on many.
With all of that said, keep in mind that there are those from the "other side" that are here and monitor and even poke us with a stick sometimes. :patriot: :patriot: :txflag: :txflag:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:35 am There's a common element to many of those political-leaning threads.
Yep. It is tiresome wading through the endless “I saw a news article, better repost it” threads to find anything I couldn’t read on drudge or watch in TV if that was the kind of thing I was after.
TANSTAAFL

JRG

Post by JRG »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:22 am
Syntyr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm
Scott B. wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm I think the broken log-in cookie issue probably slows things down too.
:iagree:

The home laptop is the only place I can get logged in on. Phone and iPad are no go.
I have to re login every time too, even from the home computer. Such a pain!!

Joe

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

JRG wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am
Scott B. wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm I think the broken log-in cookie issue probably slows things down too.

The home laptop is the only place I can get logged in on. Phone and iPad are no go.

Joe
The short version of the solution is to edit the bookmark you use to access the site and make sure it starts with HTTPS and not simply HTTP.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I joined this forum when I got my CHL to learn more about Texas gun laws and changes to gun laws. Also, gun and related product reviews, shooting skills, etc. Lately, I read very little and post even less because of the mindless political rantings and outright misinformation. Don't try to convince me this is a debate.

During this last Lege session, I hoped we would have some good discussions about pending laws, but other than a lot of bluster about Constitutional Carry, there was little reasoned discussion. But, I'll check back in occasionally to see if we have recovered our genial community.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:23 am
JRG wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am

Joe
The short version of the solution is to edit the bookmark you use to access the site and make sure it starts with HTTPS and not simply HTTP.
This works!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

I will continue to be a part of this forum for various reasons. A great part of that is due to the moderators holding us, and calling us out as necessary, accountable to maintain a reasonable demeanor with one another. I generally feel this group is relatively like-minded in so many aspects that always being on the same page isn’t necessary to get along. I am by no means a prolific poster and VERY little from me has been directly firearms related. I tend to post things that I believe would interest y’all. I came to this forum to learn more about our responsibilities concerning carrying a firearm outside of our homes. I’ve stayed ‘cause of the company. :tiphat:

As a side not. Interesting that I have not had any problems logging in or the site remembering me. Which is great due to me not being tech savvy.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Return to “Off-Topic”