Use Of US Passport For Firearm Purchase

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seph
Posts in topic: 3

Use Of US Passport For Firearm Purchase

Post by seph »

Quick question for the FFL members here:

For a purchase in Texas by a Texas resident, would the use of a current US passport along with a Texas LTC be allowed?

Longer details:
A buddy of mine had his Texas DL lost (stolen) earlier today at a rental place. The drivers license office is appointment only still and the earliest appointment is Friday and he has to go in person since this is his first renewal / replacement since the REAL ID requirements kicked in. He has to pick up a firearm that was shipped to him at an FFL this Wed (the FFL is closed until Wed due to the holiday, small FFL business). Before he for further drivers license office that have an open slot, I though I heard that you can use a current passport along with proof of address / Texas residency.

Would using his current US passport and current / accurate Texas LTC to fill out the form 4473 be fine?
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Use Of US Passport For Firearm Purchase

Post by Syntyr »

I am not an FFL but I have used my Texas LTC as the sole means of ID during firearms purchases with FFL. No passport or DL required.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Syntyr wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:19 pm I am not an FFL but I have used my Texas LTC as the sole means of ID during firearms purchases with FFL. No passport or DL required.
This. I can't say I've ever shown my TXDL for picking up a gun, just my LTC. I have a buddy of mine that has a gun store and does all my transfers. I will ask him and report back here.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Well I guess I was wrong. He says the ATF actually want both. I can't remember being asked for both but he would know. He suggested going online and either filling for a change of address or copy of the license and the print out/paper copy along with his LTC "should" be enough to pick it up.

Topic author
seph

Post by seph »

Thanks for checking. The online site is not letting him either do a change of address or replacement, possibly do to him not have a REAL ID compliant DL yet where he needs to show a birth certificate or passport. But he does have a paper copy of his DL that he kept in his safe. He also might headed to the drivers license office in the morning to try to get one of their same day walk in visits.

Thanks Jose_In_Dallas for getting that info!
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I recently bought a firearm and all they wanted to see was my LTC.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Your LTC also has your DL, or Texas ID number on it, if you are a Texas resident, But to answer the OP question, a Passport, Texas fishing License, DL, or LTC are all acceptable forms of ID for the purchase of a gun. The ATF does not require an FFL to acquire two forms of ID. There is no Federal law, requiring someone to possess a driver's license, since not everyone in the country drives a vehicle.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Here is the official description, he should copy this and take it with him. Some FFL's just don't seem to know the regs.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... ee-firearm

What form of identification must a licensee obtain from a transferee of a firearm?

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

[18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124]

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 pm Here is the official description, he should copy this and take it with him. Some FFL's just don't seem to know the regs.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... ee-firearm

What form of identification must a licensee obtain from a transferee of a firearm?

The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address.

what he said
and i have only ever shown my LTC plastic. they never ask about anything else, except form of payment

side note...using the CHL/LTC to purchase is faster than them swiping the debit card
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:34 pm
mrvmax wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 pm Here is the official description, he should copy this and take it with him. Some FFL's just don't seem to know the regs.

what he said
and i have only ever shown my LTC plastic. they never ask about anything else, except form of payment

side note...using the CHL/LTC to purchase is faster than them swiping the debit card
You must be a speed writer to fill out the 4473 that fast. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

OK that's what I thought as well, only showing my LTC. Any updates on this?

Topic author
seph

Post by seph »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54 pm OK that's what I thought as well, only showing my LTC. Any updates on this?
His FFL just used his LTC. It seems they need the LTC number along with the DL/ID number for the 4473, but since the LTC has the DL/ID number also, the FFL had no issues.

Thanks everyone. :txflag:
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Return to “Off-Topic”