Just gets better and betterer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Just gets better and betterer

Post by clarionite »

I'm a diabetic. With a long family history of diabetes. Maternal Grandmother died from it, Mother lost her leg, her vision, and is on dialysis in a nursing home from it. I refuse to end up in the same condition. So I'm very active in trying to control mine. I do quarterly checkups and blood work. Last year, I had gotten sloppy and let mine creep up. I had an A1C of 8.1 on one of my checkups. It was a very rude awakening for me. This morning, I had my checkup and I'm at 6.3. For those who aren't dealing with it, or don't have close family members dealing with it. 4-5.6 is considered normal. 5.7 to 6.4 is considered pre-diabetic. 6.5 and greater is full blown diabetes. For the first time in many years, I'm out of the diabetic range. And headed in the right direction. Still not on insulin. I do take meds, but I'm hoping that with another 30lbs of weight loss (I'm at about 75lbs down now) I can start weaning off. My cholesterol has always been good. But my numbers are getting better. My good Cholesterol is where it should be, and my bad cholesterol dropped another 10 points with this test. I was in the middle of where you should be. Now I'm getting to the low side of where you should be.

Heart, Kidneys and liver are all testing excellent. I'm as healthy as an ox. Unfortunately I look like one too. LOL

I know this isn't firearm related, but I also know some of you guys aren't spring chickens anymore (I'm resembling that remark more and more daily) and I wanted to say it is possible to get back into good health even at (mildly) advanced ages. I turned 49 in June.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just gets better and betterer

Post by philip964 »

Congratulations.

Keep up the hard work.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

Congratulations on the good news! I am type 2 as well and have been for more than 10 years. It runs in my Mom's side of the family.

In January, I had to have all of my teeth removed and implants installed. That dropped my A1C a good bit, actually too low according to my doctor. He said I need to bring it up some he wants it over 7.0). I don't advocate having all ones teeth removed just for this but it is a nice side benefit. Dental health affects a lot of things in ones body.

Topic author
clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

LTUME1978 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:22 pm Congratulations on the good news! I am type 2 as well and have been for more than 10 years. It runs in my Mom's side of the family.

In January, I had to have all of my teeth removed and implants installed. That dropped my A1C a good bit, actually too low according to my doctor. He said I need to bring it up some he wants it over 7.0). I don't advocate having all ones teeth removed just for this but it is a nice side benefit. Dental health affects a lot of things in ones body.
So far, I have most of my teeth. But I have a couple that should probably go. Hadn't realized they would make a difference. I may look into getting them out and having some implants put in.

Return to “Off-Topic”