I think the forum is dying

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

I think the forum is dying

Post by Tex1961 »

It feels like the forum is dying a slow death. 5, maybe 10 posts a day. And out of those only 2 - 4 are gun or LTC rated. It’s mostly political now. I go to other forums now if I want to talk gun or self defense. It’s a shame too, I used to really like this site.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I think the forum is dying

Post by RPBrown »

Sadly it has slowed down considerably. Maybe due to it being summer, maybe because it kept going down, and maybe from all of the political posts. We have had lulls before and like everything else, it goes in cycles.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Unfortunately I think you may be right. It used to be that every day there would be a number of posts regarding nuances of LTC law, hints about carry, information about classes, instructors, and gear. I was actually surprised at how few posts were made over the last several months regarding the most recent session of the legislature with as many pro and anti firearms bills that were introduced. Agree, mostly general political posts now. This had always been the first site I check each morning after hitting the national news and the DOD Early Bird, but though I will not leave this community, it is becoming less relevant to my teaching of LTC and other firearms related classes.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

With Biden and Harris "managing" border security as they have, I predict an upswing in personal self defense experience posts soon.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Excaliber wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am With Biden and Harris "managing" border security as they have, I predict an upswing in personal self defense experience posts soon.
:thumbs2:
Also after Sept 1st when people start trying to figure out the new laws

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

This forum used to be the first place I checked online every morning and then frequently throughout the day.

Since it turned into "CNN the TxCHLForum edition" not so much. This was an escape from the day to day main stream media assault upon my sanity. Used to be a lot of good firearms, self defense posts, legislative updates, etc.

I kinda remember two-threes years ago that some long time forum members asked to have the Off Topic forum closed down again to keep this from happening...but I could be remembering incorrectly.

I'd rather see 10 good 2A, firearm, training, etc posts than a hundred about the craziness that I can see at millions of other sites.

Maybe it could be returned to the banner description:
TexasCHLforum.com
The focal point for Texas firearms information and discussions

flechero

Post by flechero »

It seems that it never recovered after going down for weeks, earlier this year.

I think the absence of meaty CHL/LTC discussion has encouraged more of the political/covid/off topic and oddball content. Admittedly, I've participated in a few of the junk threads, too... as it seemed any activity beat none. :oops:

In the meantime, I'll keep checking in a few times a day- hoping for nice a buffet of gun and State related topics!

:tiphat:

ps- having to log in each time I open the page is wearing me out- any ideas on fixing that?

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Glad that I'm not the only one then.. Like you guys, I do check everyday, and as an instructor, there is no better place to discuss issues especially with other instructors and everything for the most part is dedicated to TEXAS laws and events.... Just wished it would go back to a more pure gun site....

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Okay, what can we talk about that is gun related and not political?

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

eyedoc wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:52 am Okay, what can we talk about that is gun related and not political?
Glocks.... :biggrinjester:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

PUCKER wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:23 am
eyedoc wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:52 am Okay, what can we talk about that is gun related and not political?
Glocks.... :biggrinjester:
1911s!

flechero wrote: ps- having to log in each time I open the page is wearing me out- any ideas on fixing that?
Try hitting the site with https rather than just http (https://www.texaschlforum.com/). Other members mentioned it, and I'd never thought of it because most sites force that SSL sign-on automatically if they have the certificate. But switching my bookmark to the https address did it for me. Sign-on stays sticky like I expected it to.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

It's a lull - people can't easily or cheaply get guns/ammo/components (to varying degrees), so they turn to other things for a while.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

I have a Kimber 1911. It's just like a Glock, only for men!
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

My two primary Carry guns are a Glock G26 9MM (10+1) and a Para-Ord P14 .45 ACP (18+1)

(Just doing my part to liven the conversation.)
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

While I carry a poly S&W Shield, my favorites are my all steel hammer fired semi autos....

Return to “Off-Topic”