Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Post by Paladin »

HBO did a major public service with this video.

The video demonstrates many of the benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It deals specifically with Law Enforcement and current policing issues, benefits which I believe are obvious to anyone educated on the subject, but these benefits have somehow escaped public knowledge.

Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are high for self defense as well. You might never go to the ground, rolling with a violent criminal... but with Jiu-Jitsu you will increase your fitness, confidence, and your fighting spirit in ways that are not easily replicated. Unlike many other "martial arts", Jiu-Jitsu spends a significant amount of time working with live opponents. In that sense Jiu-Jitsu's realism has a significant leg up over other fighting systems, including the shooting sports. It's worth noting that during WW2, Japan trained all their soldiers in Jiu-Jitsu from the time they were children, which gave them extreme confidence and the fighting spirit to never ever surrender.

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Benifits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Post by flechero »

Good video and great results in that GA dept. I can see where it would be an awesome tool for LEOs.

My son is in BJJ - and I've been considering it as well, great for fitness, confidence and self defense.

eyedoc

Re: Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Post by eyedoc »

Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:19 pm HBO did a major public service with this video.

The video demonstrates many of the benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It deals specifically with Law Enforcement and current policing issues, benefits which I believe are obvious to anyone educated on the subject, but these benefits have somehow escaped public knowledge.

Benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are high for self defense as well. You might never go to the ground, rolling with a violent criminal... but with Jiu-Jitsu you will increase your fitness, confidence, and your fighting spirit in ways that are not easily replicated. Unlike many other "martial arts", Jiu-Jitsu spends a significant amount of time working with live opponents. In that sense Jiu-Jitsu's realism has a significant leg up over other fighting systems, including the shooting sports. It's worth noting that during WW2, Japan trained all their soldiers in Jiu-Jitsu from the time they were children, which gave them extreme confidence and the fighting spirit to never ever surrender.

I studied Gracie jiu jitsu for years among other methods. It has its good points, but is not the optimal style for me. Going to the ground is a last resort.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

eyedoc wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 pm Going to the ground is a last resort.
Indeed! but BJJ does teach you what to do if you end up there.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I have a friend who owns a BJJ dojo (if that is the correct term for where he does business). He invited me for a free session. I quickly found out:
1. Their warm up was way beyond my physical ability at the time. It was a cardio session all by itself
2. I'm a lot more uncoordinated than even I thought. The most basic moves to start learning how to take a fall were something I that I could not begin to execute correctly.
3. Their sparring is pretty intense - too intense I judged for a guy my age. A much younger man was hurt the night that I was there.

I can see the value in the skills and which that I felt like I could ease into building them without impacting the group classes that he teaches. But I'm going going be 100 yard sprinter at my age. YMMV.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Jiu Jitsu has been around since I was a kid. I routinely checked out books on judo and also jui jitsu from the library in my teen years and practiced with one of my neighbor friends.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:33 pm
eyedoc wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 pm Going to the ground is a last resort.
Indeed! but BJJ does teach you what to do if you end up there.
That is one reason I studied it.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

My daughter, H-dub, was a blue belt in BJJ and close to the next belt before softball took a higher priority and demanded more of her time. She is a good hitter, softball and fists, but she enjoyed the ground work (grappling) much more. She was very good at that and had to be restrained from hurting the larger opponents when, as an 11y old, was moved to the adult class (14y and up). She made a 17y boy cry and grappled two different 16y girls in higher belt levels to draws. She's quite confident in her ability, but I still wish she would return and continue if she ever finds the time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”