Many Cities that Defunded Police Quietly Restored Funding

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

Moreover, Austin, Texas, which cut police funding in the late summer of 2020, has restored funding and then some.

On August 13, 2020, the Texas Tribune noted that the Austin City Council voted to cut police funding by $150 million.

Gov. Greg Abbott (R) reacted to the cuts by saying “Austin’s decision puts the brave men and women of the Austin Police Department and their families at greater risk, and paves the way for lawlessness. Public safety is job one, and Austin has abandoned that duty.”

The NYT points out Austin has now raised the police budget “to new heights.”

...And in Dallas, Mayor Eric Johnson wants to do two things: 1. Restore police funding. 2. Add more officers to the department.

The NYT noted, “After the mayor proposed increasing funding, no protests followed. When the Council backed a budget that restored many of the cuts made last year, few came to the public hearing, and even fewer spoke against the plan, which included the hiring of 250 officers.”
The paid rioters have gone home and sanity seems to be returning to city government. :cheers2: :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Many Cities that Defunded Police Quietly Restored Funding

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, I wish the City of Dallas good luck in hiring officers. The situation in Dallas is that the officers aren't paid especially well, plus Dallas has serious crime. Dallas LEO's are where the action is, but not all potential officers want to sign up for that.

Per one of our forum members, going to Plano is a better deal since LEO's start at $65,000 (more with overtime) and the city is quite peaceful.
The same goes for Frisco and other suburbs where the pay is pretty good and serious Dallas-type crime is rare.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:39 pm Well, I wish the City of Dallas good luck in hiring officers. The situation in Dallas is that the officers aren't paid especially well, plus Dallas has serious crime. Dallas LEO's are where the action is, but not all potential officers want to sign up for that.

Per one of our forum members, going to Plano is a better deal since LEO's start at $65,000 (more with overtime) and the city is quite peaceful.
The same goes for Frisco and other suburbs where the pay is pretty good and serious Dallas-type crime is rare.

SIA
Per the Plano PD's facebook page;
Recruit starting pay is $67,157/year
Pre-certification starting pay is $71,759/year
6-month step increases for first 3 years to $89,800/year
Top-out Police Officer pay $94,235/year
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Paladin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:36 am Many Cities that Defunded Police Quietly Restored Funding
Moreover, Austin, Texas, which cut police funding in the late summer of 2020, has restored funding and then some.

On August 13, 2020, the Texas Tribune noted that the Austin City Council voted to cut police funding by $150 million.

Gov. Greg Abbott (R) reacted to the cuts by saying “Austin’s decision puts the brave men and women of the Austin Police Department and their families at greater risk, and paves the way for lawlessness. Public safety is job one, and Austin has abandoned that duty.”

The NYT points out Austin has now raised the police budget “to new heights.”

...And in Dallas, Mayor Eric Johnson wants to do two things: 1. Restore police funding. 2. Add more officers to the department.

The NYT noted, “After the mayor proposed increasing funding, no protests followed. When the Council backed a budget that restored many of the cuts made last year, few came to the public hearing, and even fewer spoke against the plan, which included the hiring of 250 officers.”
The paid rioters have gone home and sanity seems to be returning to city government. :cheers2: :cheers2:
It's not an election year......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “Off-Topic”