windows 11

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Re: windows 11

Post by RottenApple »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:20 pmwant a laugh? i never really paid much attention to the windows one drive, I thought it was a space on the hard drive to portion data as a backup point,,,NOPE i turned on the new computer, logged into my microsoft email and BOOOOOOM it started downloading all the stuff from my other machines one drive, it brought over everything except my firefox stuff, which i figured out a few days later.. i had no idea. so i called ms and they said with my 365 account i get xxxxx gb of one drive storage in their cloud. so now i make sure important files are in the one drive path
I'm not sure if you meant using OneDrive to save applications or not, but just in case..... This won't protect most applications. While you very well might save the actual program files, the Windows Registry settings those applications need to operate will be gone. Which means the app has to be reinstalled anyway.

Now, if you're referring to documents, spreadsheets, pictures, etc. (i.e. - "data" files), then you are absolutely correct.

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by powerboatr »

RottenApple wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm
powerboatr wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:20 pmwant a laugh? i never really paid much attention to the windows one drive, I thought it was a space on the hard drive to portion data as a backup point,,,NOPE i turned on the new computer, logged into my microsoft email and BOOOOOOM it started downloading all the stuff from my other machines one drive, it brought over everything except my firefox stuff, which i figured out a few days later.. i had no idea. so i called ms and they said with my 365 account i get xxxxx gb of one drive storage in their cloud. so now i make sure important files are in the one drive path
I'm not sure if you meant using OneDrive to save applications or not, but just in case..... This won't protect most applications. While you very well might save the actual program files, the Windows Registry settings those applications need to operate will be gone. Which means the app has to be reinstalled anyway.

Now, if you're referring to documents, spreadsheets, pictures, etc. (i.e. - "data" files), then you are absolutely correct.
yep actual files, it was refreshing. last computer upgrade i spent weeks migrating files over to the new machine
office suite continually updates and it just topped off those programs
we are plain bagels and dont have programs from many other places except forscan. or adobe
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

Some amateur radio operators are reporting that Windows 11 isn't playing nice with a few devices like the Icom radios. Some software also seems broken, but right now its all pre-release pains so I expect everything will play nice for the official launch.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “Off-Topic”