windows 11

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 5

windows 11

Post by powerboatr »

anybody do the upgrade yet?
i have 2 pcs , one is brand new as in 3 weeks , the other is 4 and has all the requirements except some weird tid bit i am resolving about the screen

i am on the fence about upgrading one but not the other.

i see win 11 is more focused on groups, games and using apps from the ap store. cortanna is intrusive enough
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: windows 11

Post by C-dub »

I don't think I will be interested until they stop servicing Windows 10. My laptop is at least 7 years old now and I've noticed some issues lately. Things are getting slower or taking longer. I might be getting something new in the next year or so. I've been backing up photos and things on external hard drives. Maybe it will come with W11 installed when I do.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I'm in the market or a notebook computer to replace my aging Dell Optiplex 990. Windows 11 makes the prospect even more interesting. However, if I weren't already looking for a ne computer, I probably would wait until Win10 hits end of support.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

windows 10 & 11 dont's support my TV tuner cards to DVR my programs so I'll stick with Windows 8.1 (supported through 2003) which i paid to upgrade to Pro so I could pay even more to upgrade for the media center upgrade, which they don't support now
it's ubuntu/linux time

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I thought Windows XP was pretty good, seemed stable and I had zero issues.

Each new revision since then takes up more memory and slows any older computer you upgrade.

Every time Windows 10 adds an upgrade I truly fear the computer will not restart. Upgrading to 11 sounds like no fun at all.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thanks all
yes i still have a great pc that has xp on it. i use it to run the program forscan for my truck. it always runs great since 2004, just has battery issues...as in it last 3 minutes even with a new one

this pc i am on now was just upgraded with a ssd last month when the drive failed and it runs IMO ten times faster now , in fact too fast :mrgreen:

i bought a replacement at office depot last month and it runs circles around the one i am now and is up for the free 11 upgrade. 11 has stuff i wont ever use, and not sure about their comments at windows about being more MAC like with rounded edges , more apps from android and smoother gaming..i dont play games on the computers.

windows stated 2025 would be last service date on win 10. so i have time to see.

as far as the ssd drives.....fast boot up is FAAAASSSSSST that alone made the 132 dollars worth while
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I despised Windows 8 because it had no proper desktop environment. Thankfully 8.1 fixed that. If Windows 11 goes down that route, I will finally make the leap to some flavor of Linux. In fact, I have an old laptop that I think I'm going to be putting Linux on in the near future, so I can start playing around with it now, just in case. I have a phone and a tablet, and the touch app stuff is fine on those, but I don't want to be constrained to that environment on my laptop or desktop.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I like fast start up on my computer. I remember the days when i would hit the start button and i could go take a shower, wash up,eat breakfast then come back and it would just be starting up.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

I use a Linux laptop for 99% of the time - I do have Win 10 on a gaming computer I rarely use and won't be "upgrading" to 11 until Win 10 is no longer supported.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Our team maintains over 100k linux VM's (I've been in Fortune100 IT for 25 years) and I've been using Win 11 for the past few months. It's solid as Win 10 was.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

never thought about linux, i may try that on my old xp machine.
forscan works with just about every OS system.

thanks for the idea

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:06 pm I don't think I will be interested until they stop servicing Windows 10. My laptop is at least 7 years old now and I've noticed some issues lately. Things are getting slower or taking longer. I might be getting something new in the next year or so. I've been backing up photos and things on external hard drives. Maybe it will come with W11 installed when I do.
Same issues with my laptop. Took it to BestBuy and swapped out the platter drive for a SSD. They were able to save all my data, but lost the apps (I had to re-install). Well, worth it, like a new machine again, and cold boots in under a minute.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

I'm currently running a Windows 11 test group at the law firm I work for. I've got 1 Senior Partner, 1 Senior Associate, the Managing Partner, 2 Legal Secretaries, 2 staff members, and myself running it. Our computers (a mix of laptops and desktops) are all 3 years old or younger. So far, Windows 11 is panning out quite nicely with all of our software and apps. Windows 11 seems more stable, operates smoother, and is in general more user friendly.

Just my $0.02.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chamberc wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 am Our team maintains over 100k linux VM's (I've been in Fortune100 IT for 25 years) and I've been using Win 11 for the past few months. It's solid as Win 10 was.
Thanks for this feedback.

I'm not in any rush to upgrade but, good to hear that it's not Windows 8 :lol:

:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

oohrah wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:06 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:06 pm I don't think I will be interested until they stop servicing Windows 10. My laptop is at least 7 years old now and I've noticed some issues lately. Things are getting slower or taking longer. I might be getting something new in the next year or so. I've been backing up photos and things on external hard drives. Maybe it will come with W11 installed when I do.
Same issues with my laptop. Took it to BestBuy and swapped out the platter drive for a SSD. They were able to save all my data, but lost the apps (I had to re-install). Well, worth it, like a new machine again, and cold boots in under a minute.
want a laugh? i never really paid much attention to the windows one drive, I thought it was a space on the hard drive to portion data as a backup point,,,NOPE i turned on the new computer, logged into my microsoft email and BOOOOOOM it started downloading all the stuff from my other machines one drive, it brought over everything except my firefox stuff, which i figured out a few days later.. i had no idea. so i called ms and they said with my 365 account i get xxxxx gb of one drive storage in their cloud. so now i make sure important files are in the one drive path

Return to “Off-Topic”