Army Col. Edward Shames (Ret) Last surviving officer of Easy Company - RIP

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Army Col. Edward Shames (Ret) Last surviving officer of Easy Company - RIP

Post by RoyGBiv »

Last Surviving ‘Band Of Brothers’ Officer – A Jewish Soldier Who Toasted His Son’s Bar Mitzvah With Cognac Stolen From Hitler’s ‘Eagle’s Nest’ – Dies At 99

Link to obituary.
When Germany surrendered, Ed and his men of Easy Company entered Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest where Ed managed to acquire a few bottles of cognac, a label indicating they were “for the Fuhrer’s use only.” Later, he would use the cognac to toast his oldest son’s Bar Mitzvah.
Also worth noting from first link.
The last surviving member of the famed “Band of Brothers” is 97-year-old Bradford Freeman, an enlisted mortarman, who served as a consultant for the HBO miniseries and now lives in Mississippi.
:patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

gamboolman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Army Col. Edward Shames (Ret) Last surviving officer of Easy Company - RIP

Post by gamboolman »

RIP Sir. Thank you for your sacrifices.

Prayers of comfort for the family.

We lost ms gamboolgals father in 2008. He was in the 101st all the way from Taccoa with the original bunch thru the end of the war. He was in the 501 PIR, HQ 3, 3rd Battalion He was never wounded. I would sit and talk with him for hours on end about growing up dirt poor in East Texas and of the war. He was a father to me and I miss him to this day.

Thanks to all of the Veterans of all the Wars
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”