A Texas team comes up with a COVID vaccine that could be a global game changer

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

A Texas team comes up with a COVID vaccine that could be a global game changer

Post by gtolbert09 »

Wonder why our administration didn’t adopt this? Maybe because it wouldn’t increase their bank accounts.

https://health.wusf.usf.edu/npr-health/ ... me-changer
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Ruark

Re: A Texas team comes up with a COVID vaccine that could be a global game changer

Post by Ruark »

From what I read, it's just a typical vaccine that targets 3rd world countries, not some kind of covid-killing miracle or anything. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.
-Ruark

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A Texas team comes up with a COVID vaccine that could be a global game changer

Post by K.Mooneyham »

If it's a regular vaccine that keeps people from catching and spreading COVID, then that sure sounds good to me. Much better than these so-called "vaccines" from Moderna and Pfizer that only keep people from dying, maybe.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:13 am If it's a regular vaccine that keeps people from catching and spreading COVID, then that sure sounds good to me. Much better than these so-called "vaccines" from Moderna and Pfizer that only keep people from dying, maybe.
This seems like it will be a great new tool on a global scale. Much easier to manufacture and transport and cheaper than mRNA vaccines. This helps get more of the globe vaccinated.

From what I understand, the trial study has not yet been published but it sounds like it was a study of 3000 people. It showed 90% efficacy against the original strain and 80% effective against Delta. I understand there isnt' data on Omicron. The percentages of effectiveness are expressed in the same kind of terms as they were for other vaccines, it doesn't mean they block from catching it where the others don't. I don't think that can be said with the info available. So that 90% effective is good, just under the numbers that were found for the mRNA vaccines in trials and practice on the original strain.

mRNA allows faster changes for varients as they emerge. I'm not sure how quick they can do it but then there is all the regulatory stuff (I saw moderna has some varient specific versions in trials, so they don't just get to go to market). Corbevax can't be modified as quickly but is easier and cheaper to make, helping to get it out globally faster which helps everyone.

This things sounds like it has some great characterisics but I don't think there is yet any data showing it is any more effective than ther major vaccines out there. There may be study data I have not found yet but I don't think the words used in articles are making any significant distinction.

Only somehwat related but where I think we will see mRNA tech getting wide spread use beyond Covid is when they are doing personalized cancer treatments.
This is an interesting chart to glance at. Easy to read and for someone like me who doesn't normally dig into this type of stuff, insightful into where a company like this is lookign and what they are working on.
https://www.modernatx.com/pipeline

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

jerry_r60 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 am
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:13 am If it's a regular vaccine that keeps people from catching and spreading COVID, then that sure sounds good to me. Much better than these so-called "vaccines" from Moderna and Pfizer that only keep people from dying, maybe.
This seems like it will be a great new tool on a global scale. Much easier to manufacture and transport and cheaper than mRNA vaccines. This helps get more of the globe vaccinated.

From what I understand, the trial study has not yet been published but it sounds like it was a study of 3000 people. It showed 90% efficacy against the original strain and 80% effective against Delta. I understand there isnt' data on Omicron. The percentages of effectiveness are expressed in the same kind of terms as they were for other vaccines, it doesn't mean they block from catching it where the others don't. I don't think that can be said with the info available. So that 90% effective is good, just under the numbers that were found for the mRNA vaccines in trials and practice on the original strain.

mRNA allows faster changes for varients as they emerge. I'm not sure how quick they can do it but then there is all the regulatory stuff (I saw moderna has some varient specific versions in trials, so they don't just get to go to market). Corbevax can't be modified as quickly but is easier and cheaper to make, helping to get it out globally faster which helps everyone.

This things sounds like it has some great characterisics but I don't think there is yet any data showing it is any more effective than ther major vaccines out there. There may be study data I have not found yet but I don't think the words used in articles are making any significant distinction.

Only somehwat related but where I think we will see mRNA tech getting wide spread use beyond Covid is when they are doing personalized cancer treatments.
This is an interesting chart to glance at. Easy to read and for someone like me who doesn't normally dig into this type of stuff, insightful into where a company like this is lookign and what they are working on.
https://www.modernatx.com/pipeline
My interest is two-fold. One, "traditional" vaccines use the disease itself, inactivated so that it cannot infect you and make you sick. They basically shows your body the potential invader so that your body can recognize it if you were to have some of it enter your body, and thus mount defenses quick enough to not "catch" the disease. Two, it doesn't force your body to create something it wasn't designed to create, like masses of spike proteins. I've done some serious reading about the receptors those spike proteins target. Those receptors are a critical portion of the subsystem that regulates your blood pressure. If I understand it correctly, if enough ACE2 receptors are blocked by spike proteins, your blood vessels can constrict, but not expand afterward because the signal to do so cannot get through. That can lead to clots as smaller blood vessels are essentially clamped down for longer than they should be. Younger people have more ACE2 receptors than older people, and men have more ACE2 receptors than women. That's why young men are the most at risk from the side effects of the spike proteins from the mRNA shots. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and I have no problem being corrected by someone who can explain it to me, but until such time, I still do not trust the mRNA shots more than a traditional vaccine. I'll root for this Texas team to be able to bring their product to market, assuming it proves both reasonably effective and safe.

Return to “Off-Topic”