IRS To Require Facial Recognition

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

IRS To Require Facial Recognition

Post by jerry_r60 »

I was just given an article saying the IRS will be requiring facial recognition to pay online. This is the first I've heard of this. I guess for now we don't have to pay online but this raised the hair on the back of my neck.

https://www.businessinsider.com/irs-onl ... ies-2022-1

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-unveil ... help-tools

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IRS To Require Facial Recognition

Post by TxRVer »

Could be a very good idea for the IRS, since fraud has been a serious issue.
Charlie

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

This should be fun. The 2 times I've taken photos for my state ID are completely different (on purpose). My first photo was taken when I was 18, and has zero facial hair. The most recent photo has me with a full beard. Most of my adult life, I have simply had a goatee and mustache. Should be "fun". However, I typically don't access the IRS website directly for anything.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am This should be fun. The 2 times I've taken photos for my state ID are completely different (on purpose). My first photo was taken when I was 18, and has zero facial hair. The most recent photo has me with a full beard. Most of my adult life, I have simply had a goatee and mustache. Should be "fun". However, I typically don't access the IRS website directly for anything.
My first thought was I don't access them directly as well. The slippery slope popped into my head. I can see soon needing to do it to use efile.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

jerry_r60 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:44 am
Flightmare wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:36 am This should be fun. The 2 times I've taken photos for my state ID are completely different (on purpose). My first photo was taken when I was 18, and has zero facial hair. The most recent photo has me with a full beard. Most of my adult life, I have simply had a goatee and mustache. Should be "fun". However, I typically don't access the IRS website directly for anything.
My first thought was I don't access them directly as well. The slippery slope popped into my head. I can see soon needing to do it to use efile.
Oh I agree it's a slippery slope. I'm not a fan of it at all.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

my sick mind had a few thoughts

Example
Person "A" signs in to pay his taxes or other at IRS
the camera comes on and also starts recording the sounds in the room by default, (unless you turn off mic) and IRS hears you say something indicating you think brandon or others are commies.... a few hrs later black SUVS arrive

#2 Person "A" is being coerced to log into irs to do efile and change bank to which refund is sent. Camera comes on and the IRS sees a stranger in the wide view of the camera , or your face is showing fear from bad guy standing out of frame aiming a weapon at your head.

i see this in some high crime cities etc

my LTC pic makes me look like a mideast terrorist, coloring of skin, beard and hair.
my drivers pic is one of a non terrorist looking dude , same beard etc.
my VA pic makes me look drugged,
my passport pic looks like a normal person, if that exists, but non threatening, still with beard.

i vote no
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

TxRVer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am Could be a very good idea for the IRS, since fraud has been a serious issue.
I'll grant you that. It could serve to help with fraud. I'm a bit leery of propagating my biometric data out there. I know it's already out there, License, CHL, Passport etc. I get concerned with systems being hacked and biometric data stolen. I can change a hacked password or bank account.

I'm sure this is the direction of things.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Here, silly me, when I read this, I thought it was facial recognition of IRS employees before they could look at a tax return, so to prevent, unauthorized snooping at tax returns (think Trump etc).

Did they ever catch that person? Anyone ever punished?

BTW, I still would like to see Lee Harvey Oswald's tax return. One would think that after all this time, he would not care.

Follow the money. He sure did a lot of traveling, moving and things (two residences) for a guy who made $1.25 an hour at the Texas Book Depository. Of course, I'm assuming the CIA gives W-2's and you have to declare to the IRS income from them.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:55 pm Here, silly me, when I read this, I thought it was facial recognition of IRS employees before they could look at a tax return, so to prevent, unauthorized snooping at tax returns (think Trump etc).

Did they ever catch that person? Anyone ever punished?

BTW, I still would like to see Lee Harvey Oswald's tax return. One would think that after all this time, he would not care.

Follow the money. He sure did a lot of traveling, moving and things (two residences) for a guy who made $1.25 an hour at the Texas Book Depository. Of course, I'm assuming the CIA gives W-2's and you have to declare to the IRS income from them.
love where your brain is going
those dots are forever sealed???????? :biggrinjester:

and our data out there
i cant commit any crime where my dna might be left behind, (kidding) when i was in the navy we had to "submit" to give dna sample at each physical exam for a "database" so they could identify us easier if we died in a war zone ....wink wink
i ordered a few full body condoms for the day i finally snap
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

flechero

Post by flechero »

TxRVer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am Could be a very good idea for the IRS, since fraud has been a serious issue.
While fraud in general is, I doubt many will log into the IRS fraudulently to PAY taxes. :lol:

But really, why would they care who pays it, as long as it gets paid!?!? If someone's kid, for example, owed more than he had in the bank and they paid it for him, would that be fraud?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have two questions about this:

1. How do they get a picture of me to compare to the photo they take of me when I pay on-line? How do they know it is really me in the first photo?

2. Can I ask them to allow anyone who claims to be me when they are paying my taxes to allow them to do so? I really don't mind if someone else pays the IRS anything I happen to owe.
Steve Rothstein

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

srothstein wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:55 pm
2. Can I ask them to allow anyone who claims to be me when they are paying my taxes to allow them to do so? I really don't mind if someone else pays the IRS anything I happen to owe.
:iagree: I'm with you. I've told the bank the same thing - please let anyone who wants to put money into my account to do so. It is only the withdrawals by anyone but me that I have a problem with.

But the IRS has a different perspective like the Federal government in general. They are obsessed with trying to find the source of any money that they haven't otherwise tracked so me depositing money into my own account raises red flags. Where did it come from? And it the source wasn't already taxed 3 times, that is a problem.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Just as long as they don’t require an ID for voting. That would be racist, especially for those voting from the cemetery.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

It looks like it's a bit more than just to pay. This bit is from that IRS link in my original message:

Taxpayers using the new mobile-friendly verification procedure can gain entry to existing IRS online services such as the:

Child Tax Credit Update Portal,
Online Account,
Get Transcript Online,
Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) and
Online Payment Agreement.
Additional IRS applications will transition to the new method over the next year.

Return to “Off-Topic”