Reacher on Amazon Prime

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Reacher on Amazon Prime

Post by philip964 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:14 pm
TxRVer wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:15 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:24 am We finished the series in a couple of days. My wife loved it because it wasn’t drenched in F-bombs and sexy-times scenes. I had to watch Yellowstone alone, so Reacher was good.
It's funny. There are plenty of F-bombs in Reacher, but they don't seem nearly as offensive as they are in Yellowstone.
That’s weird, because neither my wife nor I remember there being much profanity at all. Maybe it’s because the cussing wasn’t a central characteristic of the characters. In Yellowstone, the male cussing was exceeded only by the female cussing. Now, this stuff doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it does my wife, but even I thought it was a bit overdone.
I don't remember any cussing.
(spoiler kind of)
However I was surprised by the Old Chief of Police. It was my view that it was not a real human for that scene.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I finished the season this morning (woke up at 3AM for no good reason).....
Overall, I enjoyed it, but, the final episode was just awful. Cringey. Cliche.

YMMV
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 pm https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/jack-reac ... tv-series/

Author praises recasting of taller actor.

Probably anyone they picked would be taller.
"rlol" I didn't dislike the Tom Cruise Reacher movies, but I'd already read some of the books by Lee Child (as far as I know there are 26 of them, first one in 1997). Written in first-person, that first book includes the first description of Reacher we see:
"Witness has reported a man seen walking away from that location. Shortly
after eight o’clock this morning. Description given was that of a white man,
very tall, wearing a long black overcoat, fair hair, no hat, no baggage."

Silence again. I am a white man. I am very tall. My hair is fair. I was
sitting there wearing a long black overcoat. I didn’t have a hat. Or a bag. I
had been walking on the county road for the best part of four hours this
morning.
So, yeah. First seeing 5' 6 1/2" Tom Cruise in the role on the big screen was a little disconnected. Sort of like a studio using a normal-sized gorilla as King Kong. Just something...missing...

Haven't watched the new series on Amazon yet. Will catch some of it this weekend.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

extremist

Post by extremist »

So no one's mentioned, but anyone else catch Lee Child's cameo at the end of the last episode in the diner?
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

I really liked the Reacher series. Hoping for Season 2. I liked all the books as well - but, I had to hold my nose at some of the crazy things that Lee Child wrote about firearms. TO be fair, he's a Brit and doesn't know any better.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

RSX11 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:39 pm I really liked the Reacher series. Hoping for Season 2. I liked all the books as well - but, I had to hold my nose at some of the crazy things that Lee Child wrote about firearms. TO be fair, he's a Brit and doesn't know any better.
We need to start a new advisory organization: Authors for Meticulous Mention of Ordnance, or AMMO.

Don't know if what you're writing about small arms and ammunition is correct? If it even makes any sense? Want to be certain you don't turn-off the millions of readers--or worse, make them laugh--who actually know which end of a gun the projectile comes out of? Take five minutes and ask us before you send that draft to your editor.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 92f-fan »

Ive listened to all the Reacher books on audible and loved the stories - wife and I both enjoyed the amazon version and hope that they make more BUT one big issue is that there are only a few ( maybe 3 ) characters that continue from book to book and that doesn't work well for TV ...

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Rafe wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:05 pm
We need to start a new advisory organization: Authors for Meticulous Mention of Ordnance, or AMMO.

Don't know if what you're writing about small arms and ammunition is correct? If it even makes any sense? Want to be certain you don't turn-off the millions of readers--or worse, make them laugh--who actually know which end of a gun the projectile comes out of? Take five minutes and ask us before you send that draft to your editor.
There seemed to be discussion in the Reacher series about sub sonic ammunition and silencers and 9mm. Did know if any of that was accurate. They seem to pass around a really big handgun. Desert Eagle ? So far no rifles. Even small time crooks in Houston now carry rifles.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

Yes looked like a desert eagle.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

extremist wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:37 pm So no one's mentioned, but anyone else catch Lee Child's cameo at the end of the last episode in the diner?
Yes, saw that...to wife "who was that guy? he looks familar?" Oh, Lee Child cameo.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Watched the 1st season on Amazon and then went back and read the 1st Reacher book, Killing Floor, on which it was based. Not 100% consistent with the book (and, yep, both the series and the book had some...questionable firearms information), but I can definitely see why Lee Child was an executive producer on the series and did a cameo in episode 8. This was very much more Jack Reacher than the Tom Cruise movies.

In hindsight, Tom Cruise as Reacher is just plain idiotic. In the books, so much of Reacher's demeanor and character stemmed from his size and military background. And unfortunately for Cruise, you simply can't teach 6'5" (although, in fairness to Tom, Ritchson isn't 6'5" either, more like 6'2" and change...but an elevator shoe insert can do a lot more with that than it can for Tom Cruise).

I don't know that I'd give the 1st season a 100% Rotten Tomatoes rating, but some of that has to do with the original storyline from the book, which is now over two decades old and had to be modernized to make it a contemporary setting. Some things just didn't translate perfectly. But I binge-watched the 8 episodes and will watch season 2 just as eagerly. The second book in the series is Die Trying; hope they decide to keep the order for season 2 and do that one.

I found a YouTube interview with Alan Ritchson (below) about the show that was pretty interesting. One thing we find right away is that Ritchson is a talker where Reacher is not. But some points important to me include that Ritchson hadn't seen the Tom Cruise movies and chose not to watch them, but he read all 24 Reacher books before starting to film the show. (Of note is that as of late 2020 there were 24 Reacher novels, but there are 26 now.) Also something I didn't know is Ritchson's background is somewhat similar to the character Reacher because he grew up in a military family (his father was an Air Force Chief Master Sergeant), but Alan himself was never in the service. He also talks about how he's proud that the fight sequences are "true to the books," and they seem mostly to be. Child wrote Reacher to be an up-close fighter that used elbows instead of fists.

Would have liked to see more proper and technical depiction of firearms (and even blades; in Killing Floor Child has Reacher pocket the murdered police chief Morrison's thin, double-edged switchblade as a weapon of choice; the switchblade as a preferred fighting knife :???: makes reappearances in other Reacher books, too), but I doubt we're going to see much because that wasn't one of Lee Child's strong suits, either. Overall, the Amazon series has an 8.3 out of 10 rating at IMDB; I'd give it a 9.

Last edited by Rafe on Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:20 pm I finished the season this morning (woke up at 3AM for no good reason).....
Overall, I enjoyed it, but, the final episode was just awful. Cringey. Cliche.

YMMV
I have finished it now and can not wait for season 2. Having read this before seeing the final episode I was really not expecting much. Yes, it was somewhat cliche, seen it before. But due to the age of the books, that can happen.

Overall it was great, I also would give it a 9.

First Jack Reacher movie with Tom was pretty good. Second one less so. And yes the new guy is much better and more believable.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reacher- ... 646f796589

Not Reacher. Say it isn't so. Alan Ritchson says Trump is a rapist and a con man.

And I was going to see his new movie coming out this week.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I have watched Ritchson's youtube video about his Christian faith and opinions. He is intelligent and articulate and speaks with conviction and I was impressed that he has abandoned Hollywood living and lifestyle selling his house to take his family along on all his locations. As for his rhetoric on Trump, he doesn't appear to apply the same standard to Biden who stands accused of sexual assault by numerous women and is a pathological liar and by his words and action in the past is a racist at heart in my opinion. A man who forces himself on children and too k showers with his own daughter. Is he a latent pedophile? Who knows, but I would say to Ritchson "by your fruit ye are known". He should be aware of the effect of sexual assault and abuse having been a victim himself early in his career according to him. My opinion of Ritchson was quite high watching his videos, but he appears to be just another typical Hollywood camp follower politically.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/reacher-s ... eaking-out

Doubles down, cops get away with murder. Bravery for speaking g out.

Really wanting me to not see his new movie that just opened. I can imagine the Producer is furious.

Return to “Off-Topic”