Gov Abbott

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Gov Abbott

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 pm If things do not go well in November. I’m really not sure about the future of the US. At some point they will close the borders and not let us leave. Before that they will close the borders to the movement of capital out of the country, mostly likely that will occur after gun confiscation.

Problem where to go?

If not Texas, then where?

Friend moved to Idaho. House prices are insane there already.
i am thinking puerto rico mountains or virgin islands up in the mountains.

at least those two i can keep the toys

hollywood turkeys ruined montana
wyoming looks good right now, at least the eastern north area.

or pull a david caresh and create our own commune off grid with lots of barbed wire :lol:: :anamatedbanana
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we knew it was coming
now NYC is saying they have complaints from
"migrants" that abbott is being non immigrant friendly (i paraphrased )
seem nyc is all upset that texas is sending people to their city, like its our responsibility to absorb all the "migrants"

then they report that nyc treats homeless and homeless veterans worse than migrants who are getting preferential treatment in shelters
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Rafe
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Rafe »

I took a quick--and inconclusive--glance after seeing the barrage of asinine hit-job ads against Abbott that started flooding my local news stations and even my local feed via Xfinity of Fox News. You know, the ones where a slowly zooming-out close-up of Abbott is shown while a disembodied voice gravely intones non sequitur "trigger" phrases like "AR-15s"..."everywhere"..."Uvalde school shooting."

The commercial ends with a video clip of Abbott saying, immediately after the Uvalde shooting and before the seeming LEO negligence came to light, that it, "could have been worse." And then we find that the ad was paid for by the improbably named Coulda Been Worse LLC.

So I did a little hunting. Coulda Been Worse LLC is not a Texas entity. It was formed in Delaware. You can search for the name here: https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/Ecorp/En ... earch.aspx. But you won't find much, even if you pay the $20 fee for what status and history Delaware will provide. The LLC was formed just last August.

The State of Delaware, just like its homeboy Biden, reveals fewer details about businesses than just about any other state in the union. Delaware has some of the most lax corporate laws in the country, allowing people to form corporations, LLCs, and partnerships while providing very little public information about themselves. That's one reason so many businesses are incorporated in such a tiny state.

The registered agent for Coulda Been Worse LLC is an outfit called Corporation Service Company, in Wilmington: https://www.cscglobal.com/cscglobal/home/. These guys are basically a professional hidey-hole. They keep their clients completely anonymous. They're also a Delaware corporation, obviously because that's where most companies who want to shield their true identities choose to file and/or incorporate.

Coulda Been Worse LLC is an LLC rather than a Political Action Committee, like the one that Beto started and that pays him a salary for trying to get himself elected to seemingly every available position from state rep, to president, to the U.S. Senate to Governor of Texas. It's an LLC because, if a political action committee, it would have to register with the Texas Ethics Commission. Part of the Texas definition of a "political committee" includes: "two or more persons acting in concert with a principal purpose of accepting political contributions or making political expenditures." Unless some wrongdoing can be uncovered, being a Delaware LLC shields them from the scrutiny of the Ethics Commission and puts no caps on the amount they spend.

And spend they have. Within days of having the formal LLC a done deal, it surfaced via a media tracking firm, AdImpact, that Coulda Been Worse LLC was buying up commercial time across Texas. So far, that we know of, it has purchased $6.1 million in ads that are to run from September 9 through October 9. Wouldn't surprise me at all if more buys are made for additional commercials to run after October 9...or even additional ads during that one-month block if space opens up.

Advertising orders like that have to be filed with the Federal Communications Commission. So a tiny bit more info surfaced there than from Delaware. Coulda Been Worse LLC showed an Arlington, Virginia, address; bought the ads via a company called Icon International in Connecticut; and Coulda Been Worse LLC identifies a name too common to search as its executive director: Michael Waters.

Shortly after the ads began, Beto was asked about them at a campaign stop in Lockhart. His response was that he had no idea who Coulda Been Worse LLC is.

Uh huh.

Maybe I should have gone into politics. I mean, some stranger you don't know, who has never contacted you, who you aren't beholden to for anything, just ups and spends a minimum of $6.1 million on your behalf while shielding their identity behind a Delaware LLC? Sounds like a sweet gig to me.

Since, other than his stints in local politics and as a state representative, Beto--excuse me, Robert Francis--has only ever had one other paying job, working for his mother's furniture store, I'm sure that sweet-gig promise is what appealed to him, too.

What I smell all over Coulda Been Worse LLC, and it smells rancid, is George Soros.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AF-Odin »

Agree with you. If Soros did not fund them I would be really surprised. Just a way to bombard Texans with a negative message regarding Abbott paid for by an out of state provocateur who wants to turn all of Texas into another liberal cesspool just like he has already done in other cities and states. We need FULL transparency about who is paying for what in political ads.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

All that sounds good except for the fact the Border Patrol rescues "Drownding Migrants" out of the Rio Grande and then brings them to the Texas shore instead of dumping them back where they started! No Mention of calling forth te Texas Militia if necessary
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:36 pm
yes but no where in this does it allow TEXAS to arrest DHS/BCP officers for letting illegals enter and be transported around the country.

until federal dhs or bcp are also held in account, this will not change anything

remember the dhs bcp folks unlocking the gate that texas guard had locked??

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/ABBv-pZKSQdO2QoYfD9ESaQ

Liberal anti gun story about murder of 5 illegal immigrants in Cleveland, North of Houston, a few days ago by a 5 time deported illegal immigrant with an AR 15.

Abbott referred to the illegal immigrants as illegal immigrants and is taking heat for it.

I am just jumping to conclusions that the shooter is part of the cartel and is already back in Mexico. He is still at large as I write this.

Murder is illegal. Selling him the gun is illegal. His possession of the gun is illegal. His even being in the US is illegal. Brandon will not be held responsible for the murders.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

To add to that, this was posted 3 hours ago by ABC News:

At-large Texas mass shooting suspect had been deported 4 times: Source
https://abcnews.go.com/US/manhunt-conti ... d=98968745
Francisco Oropesa, the man on the run after allegedly killing five Texas family members, is a Mexican national who was previously deported four times, a source familiar with the investigation told ABC News.

Oropesa, 38, was deported on March 17, 2009, after an immigration judge ordered his removal, the source said. He unlawfully returned to the U.S., and he was then apprehended and deported by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in September 2009, January 2012 and July 2016, the source said.

Oropesa had also been convicted in Montgomery County, Texas, in January 2012 of driving while intoxicated and served time in jail, the source said.
Yet the never-liberal Dallas Morning News just posted an opinion piece less than a hour ago saying that "Texas's latest mass shooting is about guns, not immigration." Maybe it's really about, oh, I dunno, getting people to follow the laws already on the books?

(Sorry; can't link to the article because it's behind a paywall...and I'm sure not going to pay to see it.)

LDB415
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LDB415 »

DNA should be taken from everyone deported. They should be told in both English and their native language that if they return to the U.S. again illegally it is a capital offense. They should be required to read same, in both English and their native language, in writing and sign said document to acknowledge they understand. If they are caught here again, and their DNA confirmed by two independent testing labs, they're executed with no appeals. Would have prevented this murder.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

LDB415 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:22 pm DNA should be taken from everyone deported. They should be told in both English and their native language that if they return to the U.S. again illegally it is a capital offense. They should be required to read same, in both English and their native language, in writing and sign said document to acknowledge they understand. If they are caught here again, and their DNA confirmed by two independent testing labs, they're executed with no appeals. Would have prevented this murder.
This country lacks the intestinal fortitude to do anything but talk, talk, talk and point fingers.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

a guy in news this morning somewhere in texas was stating governor has the legal authority to STOP all flow along the texas border, including inept federal agencies and take control. but is afraid of the stand off
that would be what i have been askign him to do for almost 2 years. stop the feds and line up our texas troops with steam cannons, and allow no crossing ..
arrest federal agency personal that allow anyone to cross etc
i am dreaming but it would force feds to do their jobs

dhs sec this morning was a joke, now he wants to start a campaign to send message to other countries do not come ..omg day late and billions short

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Grayling813 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:21 pm
LDB415 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:22 pm DNA should be taken from everyone deported. They should be told in both English and their native language that if they return to the U.S. again illegally it is a capital offense. They should be required to read same, in both English and their native language, in writing and sign said document to acknowledge they understand. If they are caught here again, and their DNA confirmed by two independent testing labs, they're executed with no appeals. Would have prevented this murder.
This country lacks the intestinal fortitude to do anything but talk, talk, talk and point fingers.
Seems that way. You hear all these fancy speeches, and at the end of the day they're all hat and no cattle.

That would certainly slow them down, I would think: being informed that if they are caught re-entering the US illegally, it's an automatic 5-year prison term, something like that.
-Ruark

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

powerboatr wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:27 pm a guy in news this morning somewhere in texas was stating governor has the legal authority to STOP all flow along the texas border, including inept federal agencies and take control.
I don't know that the statement, broadly represented as it is, is true. The national border is federal purview and while the state government has some measures that can be exercised--and I think Abbott has been doing so much that he's even been pushing that envelope--I don't believe there is any authority for a state to exercise the closure and enforcement thereof of a national border except under Article I, Section 10, Clause 3 of the Constitution.

I think the most recent precedent from SCOTUS was in 2012 with Arizona vs. the United States. The basic summary from that was that while the majority opinion struck down Arizona law imposing state penalties for certain immigration offenses (for example, AZ tried to make failure to comply federal alien registration a state misdemeanor and SCOTUS canned that and other things), in the end what remained was that the state had the right to check the immigration status of individuals they arrest, stop, or detain if they have a "reasonable suspicion" that they are in the country illegally. In other words, they couldn't be stopped or detained just because they might be illegals; the state could only check their immigration status if they had already been stopped for some other reason that was a violation of state law.

What Abbott can do (and is doing) in my admittedly limited understanding is mobilize state resources to increase enforcement of state laws like trespassing, smuggling, human trafficking, evading arrest, etc., and to support the federal enforcement personnel at their request. In other words, Texas has no jurisdiction to unilaterally arrest someone wading across a sand bar in the Rio Grande. Immigration is not a state crime. Texas personnel can't hold their rifles on the waders and order them to turn around or be arrested or shot.

In part that's why the Texas State Guard troops that were mobilized this week make it very, very clear in interviews that they are there not in a military or direct enforcement capacity, but are there to assist any state law enforcement activities of the DPS and to assist the federal border control officers as requested. If DPS officers think something like smuggling or trespass on private land is happening, they can call in the Guard to help with enforcement. But basically the Guard is there in full gear load-out to look imposing.

Article I, Section 10, Clause 3 of the Constitution authorizes a state to act to protect its citizens who are under threat of "invasion or imminent harm." I think that's where the talk comes from that Abbott has legal authority to do more than he's doing. But in fact that language has precedent to show that its meaning is pretty literal: a military style invasion and/or imminent physical danger or harm. I'll buy that those points might be arguable when we're taking about 10,000+ illegals just traipsing across as they please every single day. But unless it's an armed mob or militia coming across, Article I doesn't give Abbott the authority to take action and usurp the federal mandate to manage and secure the national border.

Under the Constitution and federal law, Abbott has to work with one hand tied behind his back. Eventually, things he's already done--like bussing willing immigrants to New York and Chicago--may end up in lawsuits to be decided by SCOTUS. But Texas is expending a lot of resources and has a lot of personnel at the border...because Biden and the DHS won't do it.

If you traipse across that sand bar carrying nothing but some clothes and water and are being peaceful about it, even if Texas DPS could legally arrest you, their only option then would be to turn you over to ICE or the Border Patrol which means, given Biden's catch-and-release program, that you would just be fed, processed, promise to report to a hearing months in the future, and be released back into the very community you were entering illegally anyway. And as of tomorrow and the end of Title 42, the chaos at the border is going to become a flat-out national nightmare.

Oh, and don't forget that while Mayorkas whines about not having any resources, his DHS got over $2 billion more in new funding under Biden than the department had under Trump. So, wow, if it's so bad now and DHS has a much larger budget, the border crisis must have been positively insane during the Trump administration. Oh...wait a minute...

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

article I, Section 10, Clause 3 of the Constitution authorizes a state to act to protect its citizens who are under threat of "invasion or imminent harm." I think that's where the talk comes from that Abbott has legal authority to do more than he's doing. But in fact that language has precedent to show that its meaning is pretty literal: a military style invasion and/or imminent physical danger or harm. I'll buy that those points might be arguable when we're taking about 10,000+ illegals just traipsing across as they please every single day. But unless it's an armed mob or militia coming across, Article I doesn't give Abbott

yes that was it
the threat of invasion.

he has been doing alot
but i think pressing the cause harder while smiling like chesser cat would be good
surround all feds and do not let them move illegals across texas land. create bottleneck of sorts make the house them all on fed property or facilities and do not let them pass.. i can wish

Return to “Off-Topic”