Storm shelter arrived and put in

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 5

Storm shelter arrived and put in

Post by powerboatr »

After the storm a few weeks ago where we had lots of moved stuff in the neighborhood from the suction above us, my wife made my decision :biggrinjester: to get us a shelter
this guy is in sulphur springs, talented backhoe driver to say the least. unit is from durant OK. very very affordable IMO
dug hole sunday and dropped the critter in yesterday.
now i have to run power, battery back up and some leds string lights for inside, and get fence guy back out to put fence back up
vacuum up the dirt and put down some rubber stall mats to catch me if i miss the steps
6x8 and it feels actually a bit nice inside as far as well being in a shelter .
wanted to get closer to house, but trees and stuff prevented it. its about a 15 yard run from the porch door
Attachments
tornado shelter may 2022 (21)small.jpg
tornado shelter may 2022 (6)small.jpg
tornado shelter may 2022 (23)small.jpg
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Storm shelter arrived and put in

Post by Paladin »

Nice! Congrats! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boxerrider »

We got one just like that almost 15 years ago. Haven't had to use it yet - still worth every penny spent!

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:39 pm We got one just like that almost 15 years ago. Haven't had to use it yet - still worth every penny spent!
i look at like...dude that was 3 1911s
but peace of mind is good as welll.
i think and have seen the storms in our area progressively become more severe over the last 12 years. why? have no idea but tornadoes across the lake from us usually turned south or north. but last few years they have not turned as fast and we get extreme CLOSE shaves

last storm i was in the BIG garage and was watching the garage door flex and feeling if it blows out...i am dead. i have never had that feeling before
turns out we had a tornado or sever sucking thing above us, as it re arranged the across the field neighbors rv port , tree and porch roof

why do tornadoes not take stray cats?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

It got spooky here about 45 minutes ago. We didn't bail out of the house, but did have the cats in boxes and the dogs on leads in case we decided to do so.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:41 pm It got spooky here about 45 minutes ago. We didn't bail out of the house, but did have the cats in boxes and the dogs on leads in case we decided to do so.
my phone keeps going off on AREAL flood potential

then it rained cats and dogs for a few
ugly later and tomorrow.
june is coming and we wont get anymore rain till oct ..just watch

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

We had one of the welded steel units Home Depot sells installed in our garage a few years ago. Used it for the first time for a tornado warning a couple of weeks ago. I equipped it with battery powered LED lights, flashlights, a fan to circulate air as long as the power lasts, and a blanket. I'll be putting in some foam cushions because that steel bench gets hard pretty quick, but it provides a lot of peace of mind. Having it in the garage takes up some space but lets us get to it really fast without running through hail and rain.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

powerboatr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:12 pm
Boxerrider wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:41 pm It got spooky here about 45 minutes ago. We didn't bail out of the house, but did have the cats in boxes and the dogs on leads in case we decided to do so.
my phone keeps going off on AREAL flood potential

then it rained cats and dogs for a few
ugly later and tomorrow.
june is coming and we wont get anymore rain till oct ..just watch
My first home with my newly wed wife at 19 years old was a 12x46 mobile home. There was panic in my home every time the weatherman said tornado warning/watch. We literally had nowhere to go for safety. Had one close call that folded up the back corner of the roof over our master bedroom. I heard nothing as I was asleep. I awoke to rain coming in on top of us in our bed. We moved the heck out of there within a year. It would have been some comfort to have a shelter like that we could run to.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son's in-laws put in a unit kind of like yours in their back yard a few years ago. I don’t know that they’ve ever actually had to use it. They live in Colleyville. The husband mostly put it in because his wife is generally a fearful person, and she got it into her head that she HAD to have one. I don't say that to mock the idea. If I had the money, I’d consider one…except I'd want it to be bigger, able to store some survival supplies in it while still accommodating my family, and have good ventilation, lighting, comfortable seating, etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:21 am My son's in-laws put in a unit kind of like yours in their back yard a few years ago. I don’t know that they’ve ever actually had to use it. They live in Colleyville. The husband mostly put it in because his wife is generally a fearful person, and she got it into her head that she HAD to have one. I don't say that to mock the idea. If I had the money, I’d consider one…except I'd want it to be bigger, able to store some survival supplies in it while still accommodating my family, and have good ventilation, lighting, comfortable seating, etc.
You forgot to mention, satellite TV and high speed internet. Might as well go big.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:26 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:21 am My son's in-laws put in a unit kind of like yours in their back yard a few years ago. I don’t know that they’ve ever actually had to use it. They live in Colleyville. The husband mostly put it in because his wife is generally a fearful person, and she got it into her head that she HAD to have one. I don't say that to mock the idea. If I had the money, I’d consider one…except I'd want it to be bigger, able to store some survival supplies in it while still accommodating my family, and have good ventilation, lighting, comfortable seating, etc.
You forgot to mention, satellite TV and high speed internet. Might as well go big.
Well…YEAH! Duh! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i actually putting in electric this weekend, and a UPS back up battery to run some LEDS, a fan etc. GEEZE prices on conduit went up
wife is vacuum packing some small blankets and found some comfy folding chairs and 2 stall mats will round it out for now.
guy came and adjusted the slope of the stairs a few degrees and its really easy going up or down them now
i also had a nightmare we were inside, it got sucked out of the ground and landed upside down...we died because we could not get out.
it was freaky
but after the rain we got weds night, its planted and is not coming out.
the clay pretty much sealed up and grouted it to the earth.

I wish i had thought about having one under the house when we poured the slab.

03Lightningrocks

powerboatr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm
i actually putting in electric this weekend, and a UPS back up battery to run some LEDS, a fan etc. GEEZE prices on conduit went up
wife is vacuum packing some small blankets and found some comfy folding chairs and 2 stall mats will round it out for now.
guy came and adjusted the slope of the stairs a few degrees and its really easy going up or down them now
i also had a nightmare we were inside, it got sucked out of the ground and landed upside down...we died because we could not get out.
it was freaky

That is one of those nightmares that cause you to say, "Thank God, it was just a nightmare", when you wake up. My worse nightmares always involve having to use my handgun against a shooter and it fails to operate. I have had that dream dozens of times.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:44 pm
powerboatr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm
it was freaky

That is one of those nightmares that cause you to say, "Thank God, it was just a nightmare", when you wake up. My worse nightmares always involve having to use my handgun against a shooter and it fails to operate. I have had that dream dozens of times.
got the elect done today
added a APC back up battery to run the lights
digging the 3 foot deep trench about 10 feet to run the conduit was ROUGH,

i have gotten more claustrophobic as i age, i used to be able to wiggle into tight spots and be calm. now i get nervy if i cant see an exit point.

Return to “Off-Topic”