please turn on the ac

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

please turn on the ac

Post by powerboatr »

hey hmmm send cool air our way
we just went 104 on our personal weather station at lake fork :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

29% humidity and pressure is dropping not a cloud anywhere to be seen
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Tex1961

Re: please turn on the ac

Post by Tex1961 »

I went to check the mail, came back in 2 pounds lighter from all the sweat. I have a “friend” Who keeps bothering me to take him to the outdoor range. I finally told him no way until this heat is over. I just can’t handle it anymore.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Good news: Massive high-pressure area keeping Gulf of Mexico free of potential tropical buildup. Bad news: Texas is turning into the Mojave Desert.

Looks like it doesn't even start to nudge itself toward the west until Monday/Tuesday, and even then there may only be a tiny bit of relief for an eastern/southeastern sliver of the state. In Houston, we had the hottest June on record, beating out (by a little) 2011. We had a drought building that year similar to this one, and I was at Lake Conroe for a weekend in late August. The lake was down something like 12-14 feet. There were docks and piers that looked like 10-meter diving platforms they were so high off the surface of the water.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Water mains in Houston break when we have this much heat and no rain for this long. My yard looks like the Mohave desert and I'm still going to have a serious water bill this month.

Water main broke two weeks ago on our street. I was able to lug one trash can full and dump on a brown patch. A neighbor has hooked up a hose with a pump and is making out like a bandit.

When I called in the water break the operator asked how big the leak was. I said if I was paying for the water it was a $100 a minute.

It is hot outside.

mayor

Post by mayor »

106° @6:03pm in the northern Ft. Worth boonies. We really need rain. Looked like it Sunday but, alas it slid from the southwest to the northeast around us.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

they drained lake fork down around 10 feet in fall to do soem work on the dam and grout
thinking winter rains would bring it back up FAIL

NOPE there are parts we cross on the bride that you can see sand and walk probably the entire 2 mile stretch form shore to shore
but its not as bad as 1982 when i walked across lake tawokoni measuring distance between telephone poles that were normally in 4 to 6 feet of water
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Can’t wait to see my next electric bill. Last month was just shy of 600, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 700 or more. Ridiculous

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Can’t wait to see my next electric bill. Last month was just shy of 600, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 700 or more. Ridiculous
ours jumped almost 150 last month
i have been watching our daily kwh usage.... its going to be a shocker
but all the weather tight stuff we have been doing last few years is keeping it manageable

water bill i imagine will be over 500 thats terrible we only water the fruit trees

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

Yeah, down here (NW of Boerne) we need a long, slow rain that really soaks in. We've had several torrential downpours the past week, really scary stuff. But you go outside an hour later and you can kick up dust, like it never happened.
-Ruark

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Can’t wait to see my next electric bill. Last month was just shy of 600, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 700 or more. Ridiculous
OUCH!! Mine was the highest ever at $370. I started putting aluminum foil on the windows which may look ugly, but it is cheap and works.

Gonna get some window film as soon as I can which looks better and helps a lot too.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:28 pm I went to check the mail, came back in 2 pounds lighter from all the sweat. I have a “friend” Who keeps bothering me to take him to the outdoor range. I finally told him no way until this heat is over. I just can’t handle it anymore.
My last outdoor class ran from 7am to 11:30am... shooting in the shade... and that was the most we could do with the heat.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:38 am
OUCH!! Mine was the highest ever at $370. I started putting aluminum foil on the windows which may look ugly, but it is cheap and works.

Gonna get some window film as soon as I can which looks better and helps a lot too.
I haven't seen a $370.00 summer utility bill in 20 years..LOL... We have a 2 story 3825 sq ft home with pool. When we had the original older freon AC units our normal summer bill was around $700.00. About 8 years ago we switched them out for more efficient units with the new freon and our summer bills dropped down to around $450.00. But with energy prices as they are everything is up.. I can't imagine what it would be right now if we still had our old units...

At least I don't have any outdoor classes scheduled, I have a few holster classes but I try to do those around 9am or so. and no longer than a few hours.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I flew to California yesterday for family reasons, and lowered the temperatures affecting me that way. High yesterday in Burbank where we landed, was about 80° with a nice cooling breeze blowing. We’re here until Saturday when we fly home to Texas, when we fly home. I am dreading stepping out of the DFW terminal into the heat when we arrive home, but I’ll welcome the return to sanity.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

It's been well over 100F for several days now here in Northwest Texas. I work on aircraft on the ramp, and that concrete gets HOT! I get called out to an aircraft, work diligently to get the job done, and try to get back to the air cond' breakroom as often as I can. Our NWS is out of Norman, OK, and they aren't predicting a drop back into the 90s until Wednesday next week...I hope they're right.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:17 am It's been well over 100F for several days now here in Northwest Texas. I work on aircraft on the ramp, and that concrete gets HOT! I get called out to an aircraft, work diligently to get the job done, and try to get back to the air cond' breakroom as often as I can. Our NWS is out of Norman, OK, and they aren't predicting a drop back into the 90s until Wednesday next week...I hope they're right.
I don't miss that one iota. Sitting in the a/c watching Rockford files sure beats crawling around airplanes on the ramp chasing wires.

Return to “Off-Topic”