please turn on the ac

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Re: please turn on the ac

Post by dlh »

Vail, Colorado looking pretty good about now. Checking real estate prices...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

dlh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:38 am Vail, Colorado looking pretty good about now. Checking real estate prices...
I’d stay away from Colorado, but that being said as much as we love Texas, we’re of the same mind on moving somewhere cooler.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Come on Guys....It's Texas. It's supposed to be hot. I've been here almost 80 years, the first 20 without air conditioning of any kind. And I have no intention of leaving. Can't think of any place I'd rather live.

AND, just as a side note, I always wear real pants. You will never see me in shorts outside the house.

Message from the "old school" soapbox. Flame me if you want, I can take it! I live in Texas!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

The hot is fine.

A little rain would help. Bumps the humidity, Houston’s just not the same without 100% humidity.

Got my power bill, relieved.

My water bill will be another matter.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I would rather see 80° temps, I have lived her all of my almost 70 years and been in the A/C business for 50 of those years. Yes, it's hot. But those of us that have to work on a roof or in an attic can really tell you what hot is.
Many years ago I taught A/C theory at night school which is, for lack of a better term, the introductory class to HVAC. On the very first night of class, if it was late spring or summer, I would tell the students if they want to see what it's really like, go sit in their attic for at least 2 hours. If it was a fall or winter class, I would tell them to sit on their roof for a couple of hours. Funny, I would always lose about 1/2 my class.
Had a lady call in last week that we were doing an install for and she was complaining to my wife that the guys would only be up in the attic about an hour and then come down and sit around under her tree in the shade for 15-20 minutes each time. My wife proceeded to tell her that they had to do that or they would probably die in her attic or at the very least, pass out. My wife told her to just go stick her head up in the attic and she would understand. After that, my guys said she started bringing them water outside whenever they would take a break. Problem was, she would take ice water so she couldn't understand why the would leave it outside until the next time they came down. When I stopped by to check on their progress, she voiced this concern to me and I explained that ice cold water going in a hot body will cause severe cramps (been there and done that) and they were letting it come to temperature before drinking. Each of my trucks have (2)coolers on them. 1 for ice water that they soak neck wraps in and another with cool water that they put water bottles in. I have since also bought small portable evaporative coolers to put up in the attic with them and some of the guys have even put ice in the water reservoir.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mayor

Post by mayor »

I had to put my sprinklers on my roof to help the AC keep the air in the house closer to 80 instead of 85. Personally, I like hot, but we could use a soaking rain. My pasture is burning up. I don't water the yard as, to me, it seems to be a waste of water. If I get outside before the temp reaches 90 I can stay in it until 3 or 4 o'clock. Then I need to come into the cooler house until almost dark. God bless Texas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 am Image
Does that mean that you're praying for the continued health of the Goodman, or holding a vigil for its passing? ;-)

Only 101 here at the moment, but we still have an hour to go to get to the hottest part of the day. Looks like around 104 in the Waco to Ft. Worth corridor, 102 in Dallas and Austin. The 10-day forecast ain't lookin' so great, either. Definitely on pace to have the hottest June and July on record. We already had the second hottest May. This is tough stuff. I'm waiting for my lawn to spontaneously combust.

CenterPoint, once again, is broadcasting notifications all over the place for everyone to conserve electricity use. Is this just a result of the February Freeze? So that they can say, "See, we knew outages could be coming. We warned all y'all. It's your fault for not listening and continuing to burn electricity for stupid things like your refrigerators and your air conditioners. Your Texan ancestors back in 1880 got by without all that stuff! You're just coddled over-consumers..." :roll:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:30 pm
puma guy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 am Image
Does that mean that you're praying for the continued health of the Goodman, or holding a vigil for its passing? ;-)

Only 101 here at the moment, but we still have an hour to go to get to the hottest part of the day. Looks like around 104 in the Waco to Ft. Worth corridor, 102 in Dallas and Austin. The 10-day forecast ain't lookin' so great, either. Definitely on pace to have the hottest June and July on record. We already had the second hottest May. This is tough stuff. I'm waiting for my lawn to spontaneously combust.

CenterPoint, once again, is broadcasting notifications all over the place for everyone to conserve electricity use. Is this just a result of the February Freeze? So that they can say, "See, we knew outages could be coming. We warned all y'all. It's your fault for not listening and continuing to burn electricity for stupid things like your refrigerators and your air conditioners. Your Texan ancestors back in 1880 got by without all that stuff! You're just coddled over-consumers..." :roll:
:lol: That's not my unit so I don't know for sure which it would be, but I do have a Goodman 5T condensing unit. It was supposed to be a Trane when I signed up with a guy my brother recommended. I wasn't home when he installed it and I wasn't exactly pleased, but he said there wasn't a Trane available from his supplier and figured I didn't want to go without AC any longer than necessary. He cut the price for the Goodman. I had to replace the compressor after a couple of years. It failed about two months after we had a lightning strike. We were out of town and got home and all sorts of weird problems occurred with TV's, ceiling fans, DVD player, microwave and a couple of light fixtures, so maybe something was affected on the AC unit that took a while to go bad.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by powerboatr »

heat i dont really mind
but 2 weeks of 103 to 105, with a 2 days at 107 (for over an hr ) at my house is above average by 6 degrees. the 103 to 105 hung around, by 2pm to nearly 6 pm
then we had last sat at 109, . we were cool inside, but it really gave the ac units a work out.

the big hangar stayed at 75 or less,

ele bill arrived 1966 KWH used for the 30day period from june 8 to july 8
actual kwh charge was 131, but add on the PCRF of .0575 it added another 113 to the bill plus 17.00 for having a meter :biggrinjester:
PCRF is directly related to nat gas cost passed on to our coop from the generating station
and we still have half the pcrf fee paying for the snow event of past

best thing is the high efficiency ac units used 699 KWH for the hangar and 421 for the apartment . rest was dryer, lights and water heaters, tv , sewer lift station (30 amp pump) etc
i told my wife we are turning off water heaters and no more tv :mrgreen: :smilelol5:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”