Heat and gasoline

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Heat and gasoline

Post by BigGuy »

I had cause to review my 2017 book, "The Funny Thing About Bladder Cancer" today. It related to events that took place in 2011. I found this passage interesting:
I'd made the Seventy-four mile trip on this hundred-and- five-degree day by motorcycle. I had several reasons for that. One was gas. At three-and-a-half dollars a gallon, I saved quite a bit by taking the bike.
Three and a half dollar per gallon gas and 105°? This could have been today.

puma guy

Re: Heat and gasoline

Post by puma guy »

In the late 70's and early 80's I played in a couple of softball leagues. We played after work from 4pm on. Many times it was 103-105 degrees.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I regularly drove a diesel back then. I love diesels.

I dont have to drive a diesel now, so I have avoided the diesel fuel shock at the moment.

Back then it was a killer.

When the gasoline runs out, you can always find some diesel.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I never majored in geography, but I did figure out that it is a shorter flight from DC to Texas and Oklahoma combined than a flight to Saudi Arabia to beg for more oil.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

One of the things that SoCal does bigger than texas (besides communist stupidity) is heat. Yeah, it’s been hot here in Texas lately…but by SoCal standards, it’s not all that hot. I recall many times when I still lived there that temps got up into the 110°-115° range in the LA suburbs. I still remember the day I got my 1st club racing license at Willow Springs Raceway, out in the Mojave desert. It was 118°, and the temperature 18” above the track surface was 143°. I once saw 123° in Death Valley.

I had to go back to central California 3-1/2 weeks ago for a family funeral. The hottest of the 4 days we were there it was only 88°, but that was just 8 miles inland from the beach with a cool breeze blowing in off the ocean. But further south it frequently gets a LOT hotter, just as it also does when you get east of the Sierra Nevada range.

The morning of Saturday 7/9—the day when we flew home—I paid $6.30/gallon in Santa Maria. When we landed at DFW and got home that evening, I was seeing $3.85/gallon at stations we drove past on the way home. I paid $3.22/gallon today on my way home from work. Ah, the many splendored wonders of communism in the land of the left coast lotus eaters.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”