Get an Electric Vehicle they said

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Get an Electric Vehicle they said

Post by philip964 »

No place but California.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Get an Electric Vehicle they said

Post by Beiruty »

Those issues would rectify in the next 10 yrs.
There is no return back to ICE. By 2035 no new ICE can be sold in CA (and possibly more states too)
Expect Hydrogen to come back strong, in addition to new battery storage technologies that emphasis safety and sustainability (recycling).
IMHO, it is an opportunity to reclaim leadership in US car industry.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2farnorth »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 am Those issues would rectify in the next 10 yrs.
There is no return back to ICE. By 2035 no new ICE can be sold in CA (and possibly more states too)
Expect Hydrogen to come back strong, in addition to new battery storage technologies that emphasis safety and sustainability (recycling).
IMHO, it is an opportunity to reclaim leadership in US car industry.
I hope you are wrong.
I guess in the meantime (10 years) don't drive you electric vehicles any distance?. No more trips in cars, MUST use busses and trains. GOOD LUCK.
I have friends in the electric power industry. With everything that's going on with shutting down power plants they say electricity will HAVE TO BE RATIONED plus the grid will not be updated to handle the additional load. SOLAR AND WIND can not generate enough to replace. I see valuable farm land being taken out of production to set up massive "Solar farms" that will only generate 1/4 of what the current power plants generate in this area. I think it is a bad dream.
N5PNZ

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

2farnorth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 am I see valuable farm land being taken out of production to set up massive "Solar farms" that will only generate 1/4 of what the current power plants generate in this area. I think it is a bad dream.
Last week on Fox there was an interview with someone from the energy/utilities side. He made a statement to the effect that in order to produce projected energy requirements via the Green New Deal methods, over 150,000 square miles in CONUS would have to be devoted to solar panels. That would be almost 5% of the entire area of CONUS. By comparison, Texas is 261,914 square miles, California is 155,973, and New York State is 47,224. Another comparison is that the area required would be greater than that of all these states combined:
  • Maine
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
  • Maryland
  • Vermont
  • New Hampshire
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Rhode Island
Combined, those equal 136,147 square miles. And that doesn't count the Green New Deal area needed for wind farms.

Although, if we could empty California and turn the whole state into nothing but a field of solar panels...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Rafe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:51 am
2farnorth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 am I see valuable farm land being taken out of production to set up massive "Solar farms" that will only generate 1/4 of what the current power plants generate in this area. I think it is a bad dream.
Last week on Fox there was an interview with someone from the energy/utilities side. He made a statement to the effect that in order to produce projected energy requirements via the Green New Deal methods, over 150,000 square miles in CONUS would have to be devoted to solar panels. That would be almost 5% of the entire area of CONUS. By comparison, Texas is 261,914 square miles, California is 155,973, and New York State is 47,224. Another comparison is that the area required would be greater than that of all these states combined:
  • Maine
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
  • Maryland
  • Vermont
  • New Hampshire
  • Massachusetts
  • New Jersey
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Rhode Island
Combined, those equal 136,147 square miles. And that doesn't count the Green New Deal area needed for wind farms.

Although, if we could empty California and turn the whole state into nothing but a field of solar panels...
Renewable energy is not the solution. Next generation Nuclear fusion energy is. The race is on.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am Renewable energy is not the solution. Next generation Nuclear fusion energy is. The race is on.
:thumbsup: There can certainly be some augmentation from renewable energy forms, but to me the only logical direction is a suitably lengthy R&D and transition plan--2035 full-transition plans are pipedreams unless we want to destroy the US economy; we need to be looking at a 50-year horizon, not 10--with short-term prioritization given to much cleaner global fuel refining (US-produced gasoline is about a 30% cleaner process than that used even by the Saudis, much less Russia and China), and improvement of techniques and safety of using fission technologies. But, yes. We need to be focusing on getting to fusion.

Related, a...revealing video clip of Rep. Rashida Tlaib's (D-MI; part of "The Squad") questions last Wednesday at the House Financial Service Committee hearing with bank CEOs. Her first question about fossil fuels (at about 2:40, where she shows she can't pronounce the word "Celsius") is to Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan Chase. His answer didn't seem to amuse Representative Tlaib ;-) :

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am [
Renewable energy is not the solution. Next generation Nuclear fusion energy is. The race is on.
So here is a question: what is going to change to allow nuclear energy in any scale? Let's remember that those behind all of the Green Energy are the same ones who thought that the CFL was so great an idea that it had to be crammed down the throats of the entire country. I don't see any rational thinking in any of this and do not believe the purpose of any of it is to actually do what they are saying that they want.

We could have had current technology nuclear energy on the same scale as France and saved billions of barrels of oil and yet it wasn't allowed. The "three mile island" argument has been weak in the knees since they started it. I don't see this as any different than the gun culture versus the anti-gunners argument. We have solid evidence that concealed carry license holders are not a threat to society and yet the anti-gunners cling to "the existence of guns is a threat." How is that any different that the overwhelming evidence of the U.S. Navy use of nuclear energy for a very long time versus the cry "nuclear energy is a threat." Fusion/fission isn't a discussion if the premise of nuclear never is allowed.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:30 am
So here is a question: what is going to change to allow nuclear energy in any scale? Let's remember that those behind all of the Green Energy are the same ones who thought that the CFL was so great an idea that it had to be crammed down the throats of the entire country. I don't see any rational thinking in any of this and do not believe the purpose of any of it is to actually do what they are saying that they want.

We could have had current technology nuclear energy on the same scale as France and saved billions of barrels of oil and yet it wasn't allowed. The "three mile island" argument has been weak in the knees since they started it. I don't see this as any different than the gun culture versus the anti-gunners argument. We have solid evidence that concealed carry license holders are not a threat to society and yet the anti-gunners cling to "the existence of guns is a threat." How is that any different that the overwhelming evidence of the U.S. Navy use of nuclear energy for a very long time versus the cry "nuclear energy is a threat." Fusion/fission isn't a discussion if the premise of nuclear never is allowed.
Yeah, the same idiots who blocked nuclear power plants from becoming common and replacing coal/oil electric generation are still steering the ship full speed ahead into iceberg seas with no lookouts.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:15 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:30 am

Yeah, the same idiots who blocked nuclear power plants from becoming common and replacing coal/oil electric generation are still steering the ship full speed ahead into iceberg seas with no lookouts.
:iagree:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Better store up some 'electricity for a rainy day. Or get some shock proof rubber boots. Shocking photo below.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mayor

Post by mayor »

puma guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:21 pm Better store up some 'electricity for a rainy day. Or get some shock proof rubber boots. Shocking photo below.

What were those engineers thinking? :lol: doesn't look like it was in service.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mayor wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am
puma guy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:21 pm Better store up some 'electricity for a rainy day. Or get some shock proof rubber boots. Shocking photo below.

Hard to say. It is very near high power lines and it appears there are lights installed. Can't really see what's in the background , but it appears to be some sort of infrastructure, possibly a parking lot with lights. Like you I have to question the logic for choosing that site with no grade and drainage improvements. But the refinery I worked in allowed a major engineering and construction company do a 900 million dollar project that built one of my crude processing units three feet below grade. All my complaints went unheeded. The funniest error was during the renovation of our control room. They had sewer lines leaving it 18 inches below the existing sewer line for the area. In a meeting to solve that and some other issues, believe it or not, they were dumb struck as to a remedy. It was comical. I said how about a sump and lift pump? They reminded me of a police officer who found an empty .22 cartridge in my car when I was teenager. He held his flashlight on it and sniffing it said, "That's been fired!". I had a very hard time keeping a straight face and refraining from saying something about the absence of a bullet.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

A younger person I showed this to said it was photoshopped.

I can’t tell now days as the photo shops are so good.

It does picture something to good to be true.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:26 pm

A younger person I showed this to said it was photoshopped.

I can’t tell now days as the photo shops are so good.

It does picture something to good to be true.
I don't think so. That may be why they are so easily mislead. Here are two more photos of the site in Woking, UK. and a more recent photo from the prospective of the first photo I posted. Comment state the area flood regularly.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The only way Electric Vehicles become a viable option is for every metropolitan area have a Nuclear Power plant, the power feeds extend down every major highway between Metropolitan areas and charging stations placed at appropriate distances!
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Off-Topic”