house speaker fiasco

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

house speaker fiasco

Post by powerboatr »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

since it does not have to be a member of the house, i just emailed my resume
this is the most dysfunctional body in government :rules:
no members sworn in, not one piece of business done
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Re: house speaker fiasco

Post by srothstein »

And the American people are winning every day it remains dysfunctional.
Steve Rothstein

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grayling813 »

srothstein wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 pm And the American people are winning every day it remains dysfunctional.
:iagree:

flechero

Post by flechero »

srothstein wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 pm And the American people are winning every day it remains dysfunctional.
I might rather say we aren't losing anything at the moment.... because we certainly aren't winning anything, either.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I want the job. I want to tear up Biden's speech on national television.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Exactly. Because of this fiasco you can look for most all offices to filled with the democrats.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

On the one hand, yes, you’re absolutely right. On the other hand, I’m embarrassed for my country.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

A friend if mine on social media went further than anyone else and I think it is worthy of sharing

He said that this same thing ought to happen every day on every subject considered. Realistically which would you rather have: this or Nancy Pelosi whipping the Democrats into block votes on every bill that happens with no time to read them or have public questions. The real fiasco, if you look at it from the stand point of the American people was the $1.7T Omnibus that just passed without a shred of dialogue. Nothing is debated any more before it is passed, especially the spending bills.

Victor Hanson said that this dragging out will make McCarthy a better speaker. I'm not sure that I believe that is even possible but I do think it is cathartic for the swamp to see that they don't always get their way. From Trey Goudy to Newt Gingrich, they lamented about the damage that is being done to the Republican party. McConnell and his turncoats who supported the Porklus did more damage IMHO.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

flechero wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:29 pm
I might rather say we aren't losing anything at the moment.... because we certainly aren't winning anything, either.
That might be a more accurate way to look at it.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:20 am
On the one hand, yes, you’re absolutely right. On the other hand, I’m embarrassed for my country.
I agree that it is embarrassing. But to be honest, there is little about our government that has not been embarrassing to me for some time. I had hopes that Trump would change that but the rot was too deeply embedded and working against him.

Musk and the Twitter files have been a breath of fresh air that was sorely needed. And the lack of response from most of the public and media to his revelations shows how bad our country has gotten as a result of the government rot.
Steve Rothstein

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:06 am A friend if mine on social media went further than anyone else and I think it is worthy of sharing

He said that this same thing out to happen every day on every subject considered. Realistically which would you rather have: this or Nancy Pelosi whipping the Democrats into block votes on every bill that happens with no time [abbreviated profanity deleted] read them or have public questions. The real fiasco, if you look at it from the stand point of the American people was the $1.7T Omnibus that just passed without a shred of dialogue. Nothing is debated any more before it is passed, especially the spending bills.

Victor Hanson said that this dragging out will make McCarthy a better speaker. I'm not sure that I believe that is even possible but I do think it is cathartic for the swamp to see that they don't always get their way. From Trey Goudy to Newt Gingrich, they lamented about the damage that is being done to the Republican party. McConnel and his turncoats who supported the Porklus did more damage IMHO.
I'm with you on this. I like the way this is going.... we didn't need a Republican version of Pelosi. Sunlight is the best antiseptic.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grayling813 »

I'm not embarrassed at all by how the speaker vote is going. That's how the republic is supposed to function, by building consensus among the representatives and not subject to mob (democracy) rule of 50% +1.
What embarrasses me is the behavior of people like Dan Crenshaw and others...as well as the 18 Republicans who voted with Democrats on the $1.7 trillion boondoggle giveaway.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:55 am I'm not embarrassed at all by how the speaker vote is going. That's how the republic is supposed to function, by building consensus among the representatives and not subject to mob (democracy) rule of 50% +1.
What embarrasses me is the behavior of people like Dan Crenshaw and others...as well as the 18 Republicans who voted with Democrats on the $1.7 trillion boondoggle giveaway.
:iagree:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

The fix has been in on this from the get-go. Pelosi's seat didn't have a chance to grow cold before McCarthy was already occupying it (literally). Notice that the usual political and media suspects aren't griping about McCarthy himself, but about the process of getting him in. That tells you all you need to know. Meet the new swamp creature, same as the old swamp creature.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Bolton Strid wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:56 am The fix has been in on this from the get-go. Pelosi's seat didn't have a chance to grow cold before McCarthy was already occupying it (literally). Notice that the usual political and media suspects aren't griping about McCarthy himself, but about the process of getting him in. That tells you all you need to know. Meet the new swamp creature, same as the old swamp creature.
I believe that his aspirations for the Speaker's slot started long before he knew that Pelosi would be vacating it. Discussions with some of the people who work in Washington as staff for elected officials suggested that McCarthy was actively working for the re-election for people like Kay Granger in exchange for their votes for him when it came time for Republican Speaker.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Off-Topic”