Tornado action in Houston and surrounding area.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Tornado action in Houston and surrounding area.

Post by puma guy »

I hope everyone affected is OK. Our city, Pasadena, had some places hit hard, but haven't heard of any injuries. I know area NW of Houston were hit. My daughter's building was damaged. The receptionists saw it through the front glass and beat a retreat to the back of the clinic where my daughter was. All OK. I don't have power, but running my 8K Generac for fridges freezers and lights and fans, but I don't know how stable the current is so I don't run my TV off it. Big tree fell on a 20X20 storage my brother has been building taking down all the framed walls and crunching his equipment and lawn tractor that was on the deck. Prayers for one and all.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tornado action in Houston and surrounding area.

Post by Rafe »

We'll probably get a better summary with the 5:00 p.m. news, but yeah; looks like the southeast side of town got hit the hardest:

Live updates: Tornado causes 'extensive' damage in Deer Park, Baytown
https://www.chron.com/weather/article/t ... 738403.php
A tornado passing through Beltway 8 into Deer Park and Baytown, Texas caused extensive damage to power lines and property on Tuesday afternoon.

The twister formed near the major southern Houston traffic artery and proceeded to blast eastward, throwing cars around and ripping street posts askew. Video shot in the event's aftermath showed significant damage on thoroughfares and in industrial and business lots.

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

philip964

Post by philip964 »

4” at the house.

Looks like Deerpark got the worse.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:46 pm We'll probably get a better summary with the 5:00 p.m. news, but yeah; looks like the southeast side of town got hit the hardest:

Live updates: Tornado causes 'extensive' damage in Deer Park, Baytown
https://www.chron.com/weather/article/t ... 738403.php
A tornado passing through Beltway 8 into Deer Park and Baytown, Texas caused extensive damage to power lines and property on Tuesday afternoon.

The twister formed near the major southern Houston traffic artery and proceeded to blast eastward, throwing cars around and ripping street posts askew. Video shot in the event's aftermath showed significant damage on thoroughfares and in industrial and business lots.

There are no hospitals in Deer Park, so I assume it's St Luke's or Bayshore (HCA SE now). There was quite a lot of damage in Pasadena that was sort of over looked with Deer Park and Baytown getting quite a bit of coverage, One injury reported in Pasadena, but no details. If that's the only injury that's a lot to be thankful for.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Anyone with damage needing repairs: be sure you vet any individual or company because the scammers will be invading in droves, Use every resource available to do that, BBB, reviews and referrals, angi's and similar sites, etc. Make sure they have insurance and never pay upfront. I should also mention clean up work. My uncle had a guy clean up after a hurricane years ago. A task that completely filled a dump truck. My uncle looked at the clean up and all was well, so he paid him and went inside. Heard some strange sounds out front and went outside to see the entire truck load dumped in front of his house and the guy driving off.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm Anyone with damage needing repairs: be sure you vet any individual or company because the scammers will be invading in droves, Use every resource available to do that, BBB, reviews and referrals, angi's and similar sites, etc. Make sure they have insurance and never pay upfront. I should also mention clean up work. My uncle had a guy clean up after a hurricane years ago. A task that completely filled a dump truck. My uncle looked at the clean up and all was well, so he paid him and went inside. Heard some strange sounds out front and went outside to see the entire truck load dumped in front of his house and the guy driving off.
Wow that’s a first.

Right now, most contractors are busy in Houston. Construction prices are up dramatically. Think $7 for an 8’ wood stud that was $1.25 before Covid. Emergency repair work on houses is not what most regular contractors are looking for. I have great sympathy for anyone whose home is damaged insured or not.

And yes the area will be flooded with fly by night “ contractors”.
This sort of work is hard to find people to do on ordinary days let alone now. And yes no money up front. I have found agree on an hourly rate and pay at the end of each day works well. The crooks will never agree to it as they intend to make much more than that by scamming you.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

EF3 tornado on the ground for 18 miles is a lot of victims. Praying for all who have been affected. My wife and I lived through three tornados that hit our home in East Texas. Very scary and a lot of clean up. Praying for all involved.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

I hadn't realized it, but evidently this was the first ever declared "tornado emergency" in the Houston area. If we get hit they're usually F0 or F1, but when this storm was heading for the Beltway a "tornado emergency" was declared.
philip964 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:33 pm Right now, most contractors are busy in Houston. Construction prices are up dramatically. Think $7 for an 8’ wood stud that was $1.25 before Covid.
No kidding. I drafted and planned a little DIY build (not contractor work; just putting a tall, free-standing cubicle sort of thing inside a bedroom) that called for some good, straight pine 2'x'4 studs, some 1/2" plywood, some indoor/outdoor carpeting to line it, and a little hardware and glue. Pricing it at Lowes and Home Depot put it way over budget. I've deferred the plan until later. :???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”