Texas Home Electric Providers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Home Electric Providers

Post by Grayling813 »

We currently use TXU but looking at other plans. Our average usage over last 12 months approximately 1600kwh. Recommendations?

wheelgun1958

Re: Texas Home Electric Providers

Post by wheelgun1958 »

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My preference is to sign a fixed price contract for 12-24 months and forget about it until just before renewal...

My experience has been that searching http://powertochoose.org/ for the correct combination of term and average kWh, and limiting the list to providers with 4-star or greater ratings has yielded satisfactory results.

My daughter recently moved in to her own place and we found Discount Power for her... They had some issues with getting signed up online (the powetochoose discount was not being added correctly) so we called their office, waited less than 1 minute on hold and were so impressed with the CS person that I actually sent them an email about it.

A few days later, I was notified that my current contract with Yep Energy was sold to the same Discount Power... :lol:
They transitioned easily and alI I had to do was log in to the new account and re-sign up for paperless billing and automatic payment.

IIRC, Texas has a 14(?) day window at the end of a power contract where you can switch without incurring the early termination fee. When I switched to Yep, since my price was going up on the new contract, I had them start service the day before the old contract ended, so, only 1 extra day at the higher rate. It was simple, honestly.

I'd have run my search for you but don't know your zip... It's easy to run the search at the link above..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:05 pm My preference is to sign a fixed price contract for 12-24 months and forget about it until just before renewal...

My experience has been that searching http://powertochoose.org/ for the correct combination of term and average kWh, and limiting the list to providers with 4-star or greater ratings has yielded satisfactory results.

My daughter recently moved in to her own place and we found Discount Power for her... They had some issues with getting signed up online (the powetochoose discount was not being added correctly) so we called their office, waited less than 1 minute on hold and were so impressed with the CS person that I actually sent them an email about it.

A few days later, I was notified that my current contract with Yep Energy was sold to the same Discount Power... :lol:
They transitioned easily and alI I had to do was log in to the new account and re-sign up for paperless billing and automatic payment.

IIRC, Texas has a 14(?) day window at the end of a power contract where you can switch without incurring the early termination fee. When I switched to Yep, since my price was going up on the new contract, I had them start service the day before the old contract ended, so, only 1 extra day at the higher rate. It was simple, honestly.

I'd have run my search for you but don't know your zip... It's easy to run the search at the link above..
Thanks. I found the powertochoose.org website a few minutes before your post. Wife wants a plan that has average billing since that's what we currently have.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rtschl »

I use Energy Ogre to shop and find a provider for me. It costs $120 a year, but it saves me from scouring power to choose site and doing all the calculations myself each year. They manage the contract, set up the account when moving to a new provider but the account and full access is mine. I've changed providers 3 times since I started using them - all after 11 or 12 month contracts as my existing provider was no longer the most cost effective.

I have been very happy with them.

https://www.energyogre.com/Connect/Acce ... %2Fconnect

Link below explains how and what they do to secure lowest rates:
https://www.energyogre.com/how-energy-o ... dium=email
Ron
NRA Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Well this is a timely post.

Until 2019 I used Reliant who had been my electricity provider since 1971. I was on the "your a stupid consumer rate" of 18 cents a KWH (all In).
In 2019 I switched to Griddy where I paid wholesale rates. My first full year with Griddy was 8.5 cents a KWH. I was very pleased.
In 2021 we had the freeze. My electric bill for February 2021 was $2801 for 1,379 KWH or 203,1 cents per KWH. (my normal bill for February was $175 and yes that is two nice pistols) 24 times higher. But even for that terrible month I was at 22 cents per KWH for the whole year.

Texas ended the freedom to by wholesale power and made it illegal to sell electricity to consumers at a wholesale rates. Griddy declared bankruptcy. The Republicans who controlled the state decided to not provide any relief to consumers or other utility companies and users by reversing some of the outrageous profits made by electricity speculators during the February freeze PUC ordered rate of 900 cents per KWH, which extended like 8 hours after the freeze and after real usage had returned to normal and there was no longer an emergency.

With Griddy bankrupt, I went with Southern Federal for 24 month at 10 cents a KWH. It expired last week. I switched to Value Power who I found on the website power to choose. The rate was 12 cents for 36 months. Both had a 3 star rating. Southern Federal was fine no complaints.

Since I went for 36 months, we can expect the war with Russia to end, natural gas prices to fall to nothing, utility rates to collapse, inflation to become deflation and people will be laughing at me in 6 months that I signed up for 12 cents for so long.

My new rate for actual power increased by 35% between my old rate and my new rate. (many of the charges for electricity are fixed and you can't do anything about those) Thank you Russia and Brandon. I went to energy orgre and signed up to get into their website, but it went nowhere, I must have messed up or something.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:10 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:05 pm My preference is to sign a fixed price contract for 12-24 months and forget about it until just before renewal...

Thanks. I found the powertochoose.org website a few minutes before your post. Wife wants a plan that has average billing since that's what we currently have.
I believe most resellers offer average billing.
All of the ones I've used did, but, only a small sample size

Happy hunting!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:16 pm Well this is a timely post.

Until 2019 I used Reliant who had been my electricity provider since 1971. I was on the "your a stupid consumer rate" of 18 cents a KWH (all In).
In 2019 I switched to Griddy where I paid wholesale rates. My first full year with Griddy was 8.5 cents a KWH. I was very pleased.
In 2021 we had the freeze. My electric bill for February 2021 was $2801 for 1,379 KWH or 203,1 cents per KWH. (my normal bill for February was $175 and yes that is two nice pistols) 24 times higher. But even for that terrible month I was at 22 cents per KWH for the whole year.

Texas ended the freedom to by wholesale power and made it illegal to sell electricity to consumers at a wholesale rates. Griddy declared bankruptcy. The Republicans who controlled the state decided to not provide any relief to consumers or other utility companies and users by reversing some of the outrageous profits made by electricity speculators during the February freeze PUC ordered rate of 900 cents per KWH, which extended like 8 hours after the freeze and after real usage had returned to normal and there was no longer an emergency.

With Griddy bankrupt, I went with Southern Federal for 24 month at 10 cents a KWH. It expired last week. I switched to Value Power who I found on the website power to choose. The rate was 12 cents for 36 months. Both had a 3 star rating. Southern Federal was fine no complaints.

Since I went for 36 months, we can expect the war with Russia to end, natural gas prices to fall to nothing, utility rates to collapse, inflation to become deflation and people will be laughing at me in 6 months that I signed up for 12 cents for so long.

My new rate for actual power increased by 35% between my old rate and my new rate. (many of the charges for electricity are fixed and you can't do anything about those) Thank you Russia and Brandon. I went to energy orgre and signed up to get into their website, but it went nowhere, I must have messed up or something.
Try a different browser, or call them. They're based in Houston.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

That's great for you guys in town. For us out in the country, many of us are on electric co-ops. No options there. You get co-op power at co-op rates, like it or not. Including monthly fees and the cost of the power itself, mine runs around 15 cents per kwh, flat rate, day or night, weekend or weekday. But don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Country life does have its perks. I can sit on my back porch and shoot any time I like!!! And I like a lot! As Hickock45 says: "life is good."

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Energy Ogre.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

howdy

Post by howdy »

philip964 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:16 pm Well this is a timely post.

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

howdy

Post by howdy »

I too had Griddy when the freeze hit and the forecasters said to stand by for power outages, etc. I have a smart meter at my house and I switched providers immediately (it took less than 2 hours) and got a 3 month plan for 9 cent KWH. I then got a 2 year plan for 10 cents a KWH. That plan expires on June 1 and I am actively shopping for a new company. The rates have come down to about 11 cents a KWH for a 1 year contract but I have a little more time to shop. The price of natural gas is at a 40 year low so I expect cost per KWH will slowly decline. Don't let your contract expire because you will go to about 25 cent a KWH.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Off-Topic”