Work truck bed organization

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Work truck bed organization

Post by cmgee67 »

I work in construction and use my personal truck as my work truck. For years I’ve had a low pro tool box in the truck that you can’t see from any angle except when you get in the bed. It’s one that fits the width but doesn’t sit on the bed rails. I have always thought the ones on bed rails advertise you have tools and plus it damages the rails. Been there done that. Along with the lo pro box I use 5 gallon buckets for plumbing fittings and other random items to keep my truck bed mostly open for hauling other stuff during the work week. My main prob that I don’t like is the tool box always takes up a bit of bed space And since it sits on the bed floor you get a build up
Of mud and debris underneath it over time which is a pain to clean out. I have looked into the decked system where your bed is a slide out drawer. But you loose about a foot of depth in your bed plus I haul a gooseneck trailer and lot so that’s not a viable solution anyway. I am looking for a suggestions on a way to store my Tools securely during the week as well as water proof so they don’t get ruined if it rains and also make it easy for me
To unload on Friday to have my truck bed open for whatever I need on the weekend. I have considered things like the Milwaukee stackable boxes that roll around. I could store items in them and just take them out every week. Then I won’t have to deal with a big permanent box. Idk. Just would like some thoughts and maybe what’s worked for you! Thanks

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Work truck bed organization

Post by Excaliber »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:48 am I work in construction and use my personal truck as my work truck. For years I’ve had a low pro tool box in the truck that you can’t see from any angle except when you get in the bed. It’s one that fits the width but doesn’t sit on the bed rails. I have always thought the ones on bed rails advertise you have tools and plus it damages the rails. Been there done that. Along with the lo pro box I use 5 gallon buckets for plumbing fittings and other random items to keep my truck bed mostly open for hauling other stuff during the work week. My main prob that I don’t like is the tool box always takes up a bit of bed space And since it sits on the bed floor you get a build up
Of mud and debris underneath it over time which is a pain to clean out. I have looked into the decked system where your bed is a slide out drawer. But you loose about a foot of depth in your bed plus I haul a gooseneck trailer and lot so that’s not a viable solution anyway. I am looking for a suggestions on a way to store my Tools securely during the week as well as water proof so they don’t get ruined if it rains and also make it easy for me
To unload on Friday to have my truck bed open for whatever I need on the weekend. I have considered things like the Milwaukee stackable boxes that roll around. I could store items in them and just take them out every week. Then I won’t have to deal with a big permanent box. Idk. Just would like some thoughts and maybe what’s worked for you! Thanks
I saw a welding truck at Home Depot yesterday that had Milwaukee style boxes attached to a slightly raised mounting system with horizontal rods. It looked really secure and professional, yet easily removed. I don't know if the red and black boxes and rail system were Milwaukee brand or not.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

We have installed the pull out bed box but since you pull a goose neck that wouldn't be a viable option unless they make one that would split around the receiver. I've never looked into that because we don't use goose necks. The space you lose is really minimal. My son does use the Milwaukee roll arounds as well.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’m really thinking the roll around boxes might be the way to go. There’s just. It a lot of good ways to do it. You are always compromising something

Caliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Caliber »

The type of toolbox that you have that sits on the floor is referred to as a "chest box". I don't know how much stuff you carry in your toolbox, but one option is the Undercover Swingcase. You can install one on one side of the bed or both sides of the bed. They lock into place (with a lock that you buy separately) to prevent theft or you can unlock them, lift up, and carry them with you. However, you may not be able to fit all of you stuff in them.

Another option is a toolbox (or two) that fit along the side of the bed instead of in the front of the bed. You get the benefit of the long length of the bed instead of just the width of the bed.

I owned a truck accessory store for 15 year and sold it about 2 years ago.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Caliber, I typically carry some small power tools, like a sawzall, oscillating Saw, and a drill plus a couple spare batteries plus the normal jumper cables chains and spare fluids for the truck. Not sure if the swing out tool boxes would work because I don’t know if they’d be big enough. I have thought about the side tool box like you said. Would that work with a goosneck trailer tho? I don’t carry a ton in my tool box and prob more than I would if I had less room. You know how it is. The larger the box the more junk goes in it.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

https://highwayproducts.com/truck-acces ... wheel-box/
this is what we had in our dually
i can say its been transplanted to several trucks since 2006 they are TOUGH and you have to destroy them to get in if you loose a key
they are not cheap lowes, or tractor supply and the BIG box sits low just below the bed rails
they have a companion low box that fits at the rear so you can use the fith wheel hitch or goosneck

https://highwayproducts.com/truck-acces ... rtner-box/

in fact the big box now resides on the hauler trailer and the small one is in the f150
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Honestly, I have a decked but for your situation a service body work-bed with the integral toolboxes is a good solution and you can still haul goosenecks that way. Something like at CM TM DELUXE or similar setup would work well but you'll be paying a pretty penny for it and the install. Just a thought.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

One (at least) of the big 3 has boxes that sit alongside the sidewall and fill the space from tailgate to over the wheel well. They pivot around at least 90 degrees to ease access. Maybe you could find those and install them.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Caliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Caliber »

I would recommend you take a look at a Swingcase in person. And, while you're at the store, let them show you what side toolboxes will fit your truck. What city are you in?

Return to “Off-Topic”