Texas AG Ken Paxton impeachment

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas AG Ken Paxton impeachment

Post by chasfm11 »

i and several others in my local group have been in touch with Ben Bumgartner, our House rep who voted in favor of the impeachment. I called his office along with scores of others, asking for him to vote against impeachment. He didn't. And that wasn't surprising.

For the recent election where Rep Bumgartner won, Speaker Phelan sent him over $200,000 in campaign funding. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that our Rep was going to be more loyal to that money - and the power behind it - than he is to representing the people in his district. His opponent in the election was attacked for stances on gender affirming care. That opponent's son was being subjected to it by his ex-wife. So the election was a perfect storm of barrage of campaign material and the opposition from the woke Left.

It will be difficult to mount a successful campaign to replace Rep. Bumgartner. But our local effort to do that would be greatly helped if there were simultaneous challenges against the other 60+ Republicans who voted with Phelan on the impeachment. They have money but cannot shore up that many candidates. We are being picked off, one at a time and we will never win under those circumstances. There are too many people who are completely tuned out of all of this and are easily swayed by negative campaigns and an unrelenting flow of mailers and TV spots.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flowrie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flowrie »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:44 am i and several others in my local group have been in touch with Ben Bumgartner, our House rep who voted in favor of the impeachment. I called his office along with scores of others, asking for him to vote against impeachment. He didn't. And that wasn't surprising.

For the recent election where Rep Bumgartner won, Speaker Phelan sent him over $200,000 in campaign funding. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that our Rep was going to be more loyal to that money - and the power behind it - than he is to representing the people in his district. His opponent in the election was attacked for stances on gender affirming care. That opponent's son was being subjected to it by his ex-wife. So the election was a perfect storm of barrage of campaign material and the opposition from the woke Left.

It will be difficult to mount a successful campaign to replace Rep. Bumgartner. But our local effort to do that would be greatly helped if there were simultaneous challenges against the other 60+ Republicans who voted with Phelan on the impeachment. They have money but cannot shore up that many candidates. We are being picked off, one at a time and we will never win under those circumstances. There are too many people who are completely tuned out of all of this and are easily swayed by negative campaigns and an unrelenting flow of mailers and TV spots.
I fear that you are correct. Too many people just don’t Pay attention to what is going on. There are prime examples in my house, I try to educate them but they are too busy with TMZ, etc…
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I'm always suspicious of the appearance of impropriety.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Per the nonTexas local news I was watching yesterday said:

Trump supports Ken.

So does Ted Cruz.

One of the charges filed against him per the TV news was “unfit for office”.

Unfit for office sounds like “I don’t like him because he is mean to me”.

Why does non Texas local news care about this story? It reminded me of recent Houston local news carrying a story about Seattle and their problems dealing with climate change.

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:35 am Per the nonTexas local news I was watching yesterday said:

Trump supports Ken.

So does Ted Cruz.

One of the charges filed against him per the TV news was “unfit for office”.

Unfit for office sounds like “I don’t like him because he is mean to me”.

Why does non Texas local news care about this story? It reminded me of recent Houston local news carrying a story about Seattle and their problems dealing with climate change.
"Unfit for office sounds like “I don’t like him because he is mean to me”. hmmmm that is 99% of congress in dc and here
my local guy bryan hughes is a total turkey he never answers mail or phone and heffner now is a "shacker up " with his female aid
we need a flush
i thought ken was doing a good work, but people do what people do.
we shall see real proof in the trial i guess
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Self defense is murder. Saying stupid stuff on Twitter is sedition. Good luck with a trial in liberal cities these days.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 am Self defense is murder. Saying stupid stuff on Twitter is sedition. Good luck with a trial in liberal cities these days.
Don’t forget that 1,000 or fewer people (in a nation of 350 MILLION), behaving badly and led by a fry with face paint and a buffalo head hat at the Capitol is an "insurrection".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

The Veil of National Security - T.L. Davis
https://tldavis.substack.com/p/the-veil ... l-security
As with Trump, it doesn’t matter what one might think of Ken Paxton. In the Texas House there is a cabal of Democrats and Republicans that control the whole apparatus and while there has been significant efforts to disrupt this cabal, it still exists and Ken is one of the disruptors. In response, the cabal has impeached him on charges too vague to be addressed here, probably because he’s worked so hard to secure the border and push back against Biden’s (Obama’s) worse instincts. This is a fight for the voice of average Texans. I’ve made several calls to Senator Charles Perry, my message is this: to even take part in this unlawful impeachment is an impeachable offense.

I can’t get into minute detail here, but in Texas there’s the “Prior Term Doctrine” which states that if the issues were known prior to someone’s election, (in Paxton’s case, they were) the candidate cannot be impeached for something that happened in the prior term. This is exactly what is happening to Ken Paxton in particular and Texans in general. The reason for the Prior Term Doctrine is to demonstrate that the voice of the people will not be ignored. This impeachment, investigated in secret, with testimony not held under oath, violates the rules of the House, jurisprudence and the Prior Term Doctrine all at the same time. There is no criminal charges here, only some unusual or questionable reactions to impropriety Paxton was investigating.

This is a bigger issue than just for Texans, because it affects the border issues. If Ken Paxton is impeached and they get someone like George P. Bush into that office, forget any border enforcement that Texas might strive for going forward. In fact, Bush would likely sue Abbott for what little he has done to enforce the border. Why do I bring up George P. Bush? Guess who Paxton beat in the last election for Attorney General. Yep, George P. Bush. This is a way for the establishment to win the election they just lost.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Email from my Rep... who I voted for and still like...
Thank you for your email regarding the impeachment of Attorney General Ken Paxton. My decision to vote in favor of the resolution weighed heavily on me, and it brought me no joy. The resolution passed with a significant majority. Let me clarify that the primary objective of impeachment is to safeguard the state and assess whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant further legal proceedings. Having watched the committee hearing, scrutinized its transcript, and devoted hours to listening to testimonies and debates, there is no doubt that the evidence against the Attorney General is substantial and compelling.

I was among the first state representatives to endorse Ken Paxton when he initially ran for Attorney General. Throughout the years, I have had positive interactions with him and have appreciated his numerous conservative victories. However, he prioritized his own interests over those of others, and we must remember that no individual is above the law. Following extensive investigations and court actions, it has become evident that the Attorney General and his office are compromised.

The articles of impeachment encompassed charges of official oppression, bribery, corruption, conspiracy, improper use of taxpayer resources to benefit his donors, and numerous other offenses.

The actions taken by the House committee earlier this year are in response to Ken Paxton's request for taxpayers to cover a $3.3 million settlement agreement in a whistleblower lawsuit (February 2023). Once again, it is important to note that impeachment does not determine innocence or guilt. It signifies that there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. In the interim, a Republican acting Attorney General will be appointed.

Every day I enter the House chamber, I strive to be well-informed about the issues, disregard external politics, and focus on doing what I believe is just and right for the Texans I represent. That is precisely why I am confident that this action serves the best interests of the great State of Texas.

Once again, thank you for letting me know your opinion. If you have any further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me or my staff.

Sincerely,
Giovanni Capriglione
State Representative
District 98
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

If I remember Ken is or was a wheeler dealer and upset some investors ( maybe lost money ) on something he was doing before he was AG. He may have been indicted, it may have involved not disclosing he was receiving a commission or something technical like that.

Probably filed by Austin DA, but he ran with that know and won.

Unless you can show me otherwise this is about him suing Brandon and being a general thorn in the side of Democrats.

That said. None of the Republicans have done a thing to help me get back the $2500 I paid in excess utility bills during the freeze as ordered by the PUC and given to speculators who gave big contributions to the Republicans as a thank you.

All they did was shut down Griddy, which prevented me from at least attempting to get my money back through lower rates since then.

Ok I have vented.

Update: our liberal local TV station is carrying the proceedings live with all their big news anchors in Austin or green screened that they’re in Austin.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

philip964 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:22 pm If I remember Ken is or was a wheeler dealer and upset some investors ( maybe lost money ) on something he was doing before he was AG. He may have been indicted, it may have involved not disclosing he was receiving a commission or something technical like that.

Probably filed by Austin DA, but he ran with that know and won.

Unless you can show me otherwise this is about him suing Brandon and being a general thorn in the side of Democrats.

That said. None of the Republicans have done a thing to help me get back the $2500 I paid in excess utility bills during the freeze as ordered by the PUC and given to speculators who gave big contributions to the Republicans as a thank you.

All they did was shut down Griddy, which prevented me from at least attempting to get my money back through lower rates since then.

Ok I have vented.

Update: our liberal local TV station is carrying the proceedings live with all their big news anchors in Austin or green screened that they’re in Austin.
off topic a bit but we are still paying about a 1/3rd of our electric bill to the coop to pay back the over spend during that event when they had to buy power at a higher rate out of previous budget or contracts

i dont know enough about ken to make a real statement, but i see our senator bryan hughes is a witness ...he is a turdkey and should be gone. he is all hat and no cattle around here, but yet keeps getting voted back in
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:37 pm Email from my Rep... who I voted for and still like...
Thank you for your email regarding the impeachment of Attorney General Ken Paxton. My decision to vote in favor of the resolution weighed heavily on me, and it brought me no joy. The resolution passed with a significant majority. Let me clarify that the primary objective of impeachment is to safeguard the state and assess whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant further legal proceedings. Having watched the committee hearing, scrutinized its transcript, and devoted hours to listening to testimonies and debates, there is no doubt that the evidence against the Attorney General is substantial and compelling.

I was among the first state representatives to endorse Ken Paxton when he initially ran for Attorney General. Throughout the years, I have had positive interactions with him and have appreciated his numerous conservative victories. However, he prioritized his own interests over those of others, and we must remember that no individual is above the law. Following extensive investigations and court actions, it has become evident that the Attorney General and his office are compromised.

The articles of impeachment encompassed charges of official oppression, bribery, corruption, conspiracy, improper use of taxpayer resources to benefit his donors, and numerous other offenses.

The actions taken by the House committee earlier this year are in response to Ken Paxton's request for taxpayers to cover a $3.3 million settlement agreement in a whistleblower lawsuit (February 2023). Once again, it is important to note that impeachment does not determine innocence or guilt. It signifies that there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial. In the interim, a Republican acting Attorney General will be appointed.

Every day I enter the House chamber, I strive to be well-informed about the issues, disregard external politics, and focus on doing what I believe is just and right for the Texans I represent. That is precisely why I am confident that this action serves the best interests of the great State of Texas.

Once again, thank you for letting me know your opinion. If you have any further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me or my staff.

Sincerely,
Giovanni Capriglione
State Representative
District 98
When Capriglione was my rep, I spoke with him personally over the phone about his support for Speaker Joe Strauss's re-election as speaker. Capriglione was all "rebel against the establishment" when he first ran for office, but he quickly became part of the establishment. I don’t have a lot of respect for that guy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Acquitted of all charges by the Senate. Just 2 RINO’s voted with the Democrats.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:00 pm Acquitted of all charges by the Senate. Just 2 RINO’s voted with the Democrats.
outstanding

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/09/16 ... y-general/
No article received more than 14 of the required 21 votes to convict. Only two of 19 Republican Senators, Bob Nichols of Jacksonville and Kelly Hancock of North Richland Hills, voted in favor of convicting for any article — a stark contrast to the more than 70% of House Republicans who impeached the attorney general in May.

Paxton, who attended just two days of the trial and was not present to witness his exoneration, was characteristically defiant.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

What are the odds they knew this going in and wanted to make a statement of approval to get the question out of the way? And or to draw out the traitors?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”