Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/oceangate ... tanic-sub/

Isn’t the sub located somewhere underneath it’s tender, about 12,500 ft underneath.

All the news talks about is this extensive Coast Guard air search for the sub.

Waited 8 hours to ask for help.

Maybe when you’re a billionaire ordinary life is really boring.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

It doesn't appear that the submersible is equipped with any type of pinging location device, which would enable rescuers to immediately determine its location.

Even if the undersea vessel was located on the bottom of the ocean, is there a rescue vessel with 13,000 feet of cable with which to hoist it topside?
It would also have to have mechanical "arms" with which to attach the cable to the problem vessel.

Plus, if the submersible is entangled in the Titanic's remains, it would appear that the vessel would be a permanent resting place for the 5 people.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-scenarios- ... 07232.html

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Grayling813 »

I see no scenario where the submersible is retrieved in time to save the inhabitants, if they are still alive. A extremely small leak at that depth would be catastrophic.

And then there's this...
OceanGate, company behind missing Titanic tourist sub, once subject of lawsuit over safety complaints
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... complaints
The viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters – although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters, according to the complaint.
Submariner math: # of dives equals # of surfaces equals success.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

OceanGate CEO Explains Why He Didn't Want to Hire Experienced 'Ex-Military Submariners'
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarko ... s-n2624780
In video being shared on social media, OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing vessel, explains why the company didn’t want to hire experienced sub operators.

"When I started the business, one of the things you'll find, there are other sub-operators out there but they typically have gentleman who are ex-military submariners and you'll see a whole bunch of 50-year-old white guys," Rush told Teledyne Marine in a Zoom interview.
The maker of the lost Titan submersible previously complained about strict passenger-vessel regulations, saying the industry was 'obscenely safe'
https://www.insider.com/titan-submarine ... ons-2023-6
The founder of the company behind the Titan submersible previously described his industry as "obscenely safe" and complained that passenger-vessel regulations held back innovation.
I’m hoping that the people trapped on the bottom of the ocean can be rescued from the arrogance of this CEO.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Canadian aircraft detected 'underwater noises’ from search area for missing Titanic tourist submarine

https://www.foxnews.com/us/canadian-air ... -submarine

24 hours of air left. Banging heard every 30 min.

SecurityGeek

Post by SecurityGeek »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:30 am OceanGate CEO Explains Why He Didn't Want to Hire Experienced 'Ex-Military Submariners'
In video being shared on social media, OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is aboard the missing vessel, explains why the company didn’t want to hire experienced sub operators.

"When I started the business, one of the things you'll find, there are other sub-operators out there but they typically have gentleman who are ex-military submariners and you'll see a whole bunch of 50-year-old white guys," Rush told Teledyne Marine in a Zoom interview.
The maker of the lost Titan submersible previously complained about strict passenger-vessel regulations, saying the industry was 'obscenely safe'
The founder of the company behind the Titan submersible previously described his industry as "obscenely safe" and complained that passenger-vessel regulations held back innovation.
I’m hoping that the people trapped on the bottom of the ocean can be rescued from the arrogance of this CEO.

I doubt any ex-military submariner would have anything to do with an operation this shoddy. He had to hire inexperienced kids because anyone who knew anything would be smart enough to stay away.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"
- S. Paige

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

In life, be very careful about what you ask for. You will get it good and hard. Mother ocean and the briny deep are unforgiving of stupidity and lack of attention to detail, redundancy, and training.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

SecurityGeek wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:32 am
Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:30 am OceanGate CEO Explains Why He Didn't Want to Hire Experienced 'Ex-Military Submariners'

I doubt any ex-military submariner would have anything to do with an operation this shoddy. He had to hire inexperienced kids because anyone who knew anything would be smart enough to stay away.
There’s not enough treasure in the world to get this ex-submariner to dive in a vessel made of carbon fiber. HY-80 steel or better for me.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:55 pm In life, be very careful about what you ask for. You will get it good and hard. Mother ocean and the briny deep are unforgiving of stupidity and lack of attention to detail, redundancy, and training.
:iagree:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/AA1VfoiWiQQ-NXwOmmxMQ9w

All 5 members of submersible tourist craft are dead.

RIP

Craft imploded. Article above is about Navy hearing it when it happened.

Implosion would not have been my first thought about how it went down. Caught on debris, electrical failure or a small leak that flooded the craft would have been my fist guesses.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Dumb question: what is the difference between a submarine and a submersible?

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

Submersible requires a launch craft, submarine doesnt

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

'Titanic' director James Cameron breaks silence on submarine disaster
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/t ... e-disaster
Cameron noted that "many people in the community were very concerned about this sub." He said "a number of the top players" in the community "even wrote letters to the company saying that what they were doing was too experimental to carry passengers."

"I’m struck by the similarity of the Titanic disaster itself, where the captain was repeatedly warned about ice ahead of his ship and yet he steamed at full speed into an ice field on a moonless night and many people died as a result," Cameron told the outlet.

"And for a very similar tragedy, where warnings went unheeded, to take place at the same exact site, with all the diving that’s going on all around the world, I think is just astonishing. It’s really quite surreal," he concluded.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

FastCarry wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 pm Submersible requires a launch craft, submarine doesnt
:iagree:

I have left a submerged submarine onto an attached submersible, DSRV Mystic, and descended about 3/4 mile deep. I’ll never forget what those of us who were “taking a ride” were told once the Mystic detached from the submarine and began descending: “Don’t worry, if anything bad happens we’ll all be dead before we realize what is happening.”

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”