Need help with old Sears electric breaker box and breakers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Need help with old Sears electric breaker box and breakers

Post by puma guy »

I have an old Sears breaker box on a rent house that needs a new 30Amp 220V double pole breaker. The sticker inside the box is illegible. Any help in finding a cross brand that works is appreciated. I know a picture would help but it was dark by the time I figured out I was only getting 115 V to the AC unit. Thanks.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bfm1851
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need help with old Sears electric breaker box and breakers

Post by bfm1851 »

See if there is any information on the breaker panel itself. Also check the other breakers. You should be able to find some identifying information that you can cross reference. I do not believe Sears made anything, just rebranded things to sell under their name.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Pull the bad breaker and get the information off it or take it with you to the hardware/electrical supply store.

Have you also checked the AC disconnect box outside? Some of them contain fuses. While a breaker can go bad, I've found it's usually a fuse (if there is one) in the disconnect box. Main breaker won't trip but the fuse is blown on one of the phases.

I'm not an electrician or plumber, just a guy that has to tinker with HVAC at work all the time.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

bfm1851 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:35 am See if there is any information on the breaker panel itself. Also check the other breakers. You should be able to find some identifying information that you can cross reference. I do not believe Sears made anything, just rebranded things to sell under their name.
Thanks
Yep. Sears sold other manufactured goods under their brand. I looked on some websites used by electricians and most had never seen a Sears panel. Others just said it's the same as Montgomery Wards. It's sort of an odd ball looking breaker that I've never seen. Not Square D GE, Federal. etc. At least I know for sure it's not a Zinsco. It would be cheaper to replace the panel then buy a replacement Zinsco. The breaker has no info on it so the label probably fell off.

This is a two breaker sub panel that originally fed two large window units probably done in the 1960's. The conduit ran on the exterior of the house to the rooms where the AC's were installed. One of the breakers, conduit and wiring was used for the condensing unit when I had the central unit installed in the early 80's. Whoever installed used it very heavy gauge wiring. The other breaker is gone.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i am thinking...its got to be OLD and wholly cow its old

i would find an old hardware store and take the suspect breaker with you.

google found this
I just learned from the Seimens rep today that the Seimens plug on breakers are rated to replace American Switch, Westinghouse, Cutler Hammer BR, Bryant, Challenger, Sylvania, Crouse-Hinds, Murray, Frank Adams, General Electric full size, General Switch, I-T-E, Gould, Montogomery Wards, and Sears breakers.

might help
i aslo found an old like that square d may also fit
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Look at a Seimans BR or an ITE
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Thank you everyone. It's a GE breaker. When I found some recommendations in a further search I got everything from Siemens to Connecticut Electric to Murray and GE among others. I looked at my GE main service box which I had put in and pulled one to see the locking lugs and Wah! Lah! problem solved. The only problem I had was when I went to Home Depot and looked on the aisle and bay number they only had thin single and double pole. A clerk was close by (wonder of wonders) and he started looking. He was having to look at theshelf lables so i point out where I found the thins. Turned out the thicks were tucked over in a spot in the very corner of the store dimly lit area. I installed it and so far so good. Thanks again.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

puma guy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:52 pm Thank you everyone. It's a GE breaker. When I found some recommendations in a further search I got everything from Siemens to Connecticut Electric to Murray and GE among others. I looked at my GE main service box which I had put in and pulled one to see the locking lugs and Wah! Lah! problem solved. The only problem I had was when I went to Home Depot and looked on the aisle and bay number they only had thin single and double pole. A clerk was close by (wonder of wonders) and he started looking. He was having to look at the shelf labels so i pointed out where I found the thins. Turned out the thick breakers were tucked over in a spot in the very corner of the store dimly lit area. I installed it and so far so good. Thanks again.

Return to “Off-Topic”