Gun Auction Fever

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Gun Auction Fever

Post by puma guy »

I peruse several gun auction sites and I'm always intrigued and many time astounded at prices bidder pay. I call it auction fever. This week I saw pistol name EKOL that I'd never run across. An EKOL P29 9mm is how it was listed. The model for sale had some gold trim and simulated walnut grips and somewhat beat up; in fact the seller described it as "poor condition, appears functional - one magazine" The last bid I saw was $140. With tax and shipping it would be well over $200. I did a search and discovered the pistol only fires blanks. Here's where it gets downright stupid. I found the exact model on the internet for $54.95 at one web vendor and $79 for the black model at another website. Nowhere on the auction site does it say it's a blank gun, so I don't know if the bidders thought it was a real firearm. It looks real. Won't someone be surprised if they did.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Auction Fever

Post by Tex1961 »

I remember sometime around 1980 ish. My FIL and I went to a police gun auction in Pasadena, Tx. A very blue collar area near Houston. I brought my gun values book along. We got there early enough that I was able to find a few that I was interested in, so I sat down and looked up used values. Well the auction started and within about 30-45 minutes we left. Those guys were nuts, paying new gun and more prices. Many definitely got caught up in the gun auction fever.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:46 pm I remember sometime around 1980 ish. My FIL and I went to a police gun auction in Pasadena, Tx. A very blue collar area near Houston. I brought my gun values book along. We got there early enough that I was able to find a few that I was interested in, so I sat down and looked up used values. Well the auction started and within about 30-45 minutes we left. Those guys were nuts, paying new gun and more prices. Many definitely got caught up in the gun auction fever.
Pasadena? I know right where that is. My hometown! I didn't mention it, but there are a bunch of Rohm, RG's, Jennings, Bryco's, Jiminez and others of that ilk on the auction as well going for crazy prices.
Last edited by puma guy on Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mel

Post by Mel »

It's not just gun auctions. Aircraft tool auctions are the same way. People bid above new price on worn out junk.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Around January 2020, I had published a thread entitled "Kaufman County, TX auction, 1-23-20".

I was able to access it today to read it, but I guess because it was in "Locked" status, I could not link it to this thread.

The late strogg (rest in peace brother) and I attended a gun auction of the Kaufman County Sheriffs Department, Texas (east of Mesquite/Dallas).

On page 2 of that thread, you can see just how ridiculous a price won a motley assortment of 18 firearms. There's a sucker born every minute.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:29 pm Around January 2020, I had published a thread entitled "Kaufman County, TX auction, 1-23-20".
https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1275886
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:29 pm Around January 2020, I had published a thread entitled "Kaufman County, TX auction, 1-23-20".

I was able to access it today to read it, but I guess because it was in "Locked" status, I could not link it to this thread.

The late strogg (rest in peace brother) and I attended a gun auction of the Kaufman County Sheriffs Department, Texas (east of Mesquite/Dallas).

On page 2 of that thread, you can see just how ridiculous a price won a motley assortment of 18 firearms. There's a sucker born every minute.

SIA
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: I looked up that thread and remember it. I even posted on it.

Return to “Off-Topic”