Pet peeves outdoors

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
Sodbuster
Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am

Pet peeves outdoors

#1

Post by Sodbuster » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:28 pm

We can always learn from the perspectives of others, and I was just wondering what folks' # 1 pet peeve might be about the behavior of others when it comes to the great outdoors; fishing, hunting, or even just down at lil Sally's or Johnny's soccer game in town. My top peeve has to be drunkards in boats leaving a mindless wake when and where moms and dads are trying to teach their youths to fish.


atxgun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#2

Post by atxgun » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Mine would have to be parents trying to teach their kids to fish while I'm trying to drive my boat around drunk and shooting aimlessly into the air "rlol"


Topic author
Sodbuster
Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#3

Post by Sodbuster » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:41 pm

:fire hehehe

User avatar

MoJo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4899
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:10 pm
Location: Vidor, Tx
Contact:

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#4

Post by MoJo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:43 pm

Slobs that don't know what a trash can is for. :mad5
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor


Morgan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am
Location: DFW

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#5

Post by Morgan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:14 pm

People who think "it's just a cigarette, flick it out the window." I ride a motorcycle. I've had hot ash blow into my eyes EVEN WITH a helmet on and visor down or nearly all the way down... I've had ash go into my air vents. It's littering, it's inconsiderate, it's potentially dangerous...it should be considered assault. I should get to shoot back. :fire LOL I know I should be more forthcoming with how I feel....

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7234
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#6

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:38 pm

+1 on trash slobs.

Hunters that take more than the legal limit.

Poachers.

Anygunanywhere
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin


atxgun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#7

Post by atxgun » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Morgan wrote:People who think "it's just a cigarette, flick it out the window." I ride a motorcycle. I've had hot ash blow into my eyes EVEN WITH a helmet on and visor down or nearly all the way down... I've had ash go into my air vents. It's littering, it's inconsiderate, it's potentially dangerous...it should be considered assault. I should get to shoot back. :fire LOL I know I should be more forthcoming with how I feel....
I'm a smoker but on the occasion I'm about to flick it out the window I make a concerted effort looking what's behind me. Heck, I've learned the hard way where all windows were down, I flicked, it came back in my rear window, started a small fire, no good.

I also won't flick if there's grass around.

The times I do flick, well I guess you can just hate me for it.


Bunkins
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Amarillo

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#8

Post by Bunkins » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:55 pm

People that seem to think a clearing has enough room for 5 guys to sit in it, while they make noise, walk around or do whatever. Once ya look around, if 1 animal came walking through, you'd have yourself a good old fashion cross fire situation. Ticks me off even more when I wake up at 2am to start walking to get away from people like that, then they come walkin in late in the day to sit in the clearing.. It's not my clearing, but it's just good sportsmanship not to do such things.. To make it worse, the people who sit in the clearing I'm sitting in, then light up a smoke.. I smoke too, but you dont think that animals can smell it? Nothing like sitting there all day hunting, and have someone come along and ruin your chances..

People walking straight through the said clearing during good hunting times. If you see someone, get in the brush until you pass the hunter..

Those that think because 15 animals walk though, you can turn the place into a killing field, and in turn killing illegal animals..

Those who cant find the trash can..

I dont often hunt on public land, except when Elk hunting in Colorado.. Otherwise we have a deer lease and dont have to worry about those things..

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 24836
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#9

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:49 am

+2 on trash slobs. Some people are pigs.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

jimlongley
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6134
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#10

Post by jimlongley » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:03 am

I was walking up the street, wearing my grungies because I was set to do some dirty work that day, when a driver stopped his car in the crosswalk in front of me. Now that was bad enough because I had the light and had to actually leave the crosswalk to get around him, but then he flicked a lit cigarette on the street right in front of me.

Instant inspiration.

I picked up the smoldering butt and started ranting and raving about how I just had swept and didn't he see what a mess he was creating, and tossed the offending instrument right back into his car. As he scrambled to find the butt before it did too much damage, I calmly turned and walked away, to the applause of several other crosswalk users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Albany, NY there was a judge who was famous for "bench vetos" of pistol permit applications. Any that reached his desk just stayed on the bottom of the pile forever. We sued him successfully several times, but he always found a new loophole that allowed him to avoid processing permits.

One day my wife and I were watching a parade from the steps of the NY State Library and the judge and his grandson were standing on the sidewalk immediately in front of us. The judge lit up and smoked a cigarette and then just tossed it on the ground. Mindful of Albany's strict no littering ordinance, and the fact that this judge was known to be quite tough on such things, I summoned a nearby patrolman and lodged a complaint against the judge. It was fun to watch, and interesting to see that someone could get that red in the face without actually giving off light. I always hoped his grandson learned something.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

User avatar

KaiserB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:11 pm
Location: DFW Texas
Contact:

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#11

Post by KaiserB » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 am

atxgun wrote:
Morgan wrote:People who think "it's just a cigarette, flick it out the window." I ride a motorcycle. I've had hot ash blow into my eyes EVEN WITH a helmet on and visor down or nearly all the way down... I've had ash go into my air vents. It's littering, it's inconsiderate, it's potentially dangerous...it should be considered assault. I should get to shoot back. :fire LOL I know I should be more forthcoming with how I feel....
I'm a smoker but on the occasion I'm about to flick it out the window I make a concerted effort looking what's behind me. Heck, I've learned the hard way where all windows were down, I flicked, it came back in my rear window, started a small fire, no good.

I also won't flick if there's grass around.

The times I do flick, well I guess you can just hate me for it.
Who then goes behind you and picks up the cigarette butt (little white filter) off the ground?


Topic author
Sodbuster
Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#12

Post by Sodbuster » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:53 am

Looks like smoking is the cause of a lot of peeves, I used to smoke and I actually started by picking up the butts people threw down, I don't think I bought many packs at all for the longest time. Other than the fact that smokers are subsidizing their own early demise and possibly that of the loved ones around them that are exposed to the 2nd hand smoke, I also hate to see them exist as role models for teensy tykes with tendencies to emulate the tall tokers they traipse after and idolize. I quit over the 2nd hand and role model matters, not because I had enough sense to stop for my own good. Most smokers could make a car payment or at least the electric bill if they'd just put them stogies down.

User avatar

TheArmedFarmer
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Jacksonville

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#13

Post by TheArmedFarmer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:18 am

A couple of my big pet peeves:

1) Inconsiderate dog owners allowing their dogs to roam the neighborhood all day and night. The dogs form packs and terrorize people and livestock alike. I've lost goats, a pig and a calf already this year thanks to these inconsiderate neighbors.

2) Trespassing teenagers who think the world is their playground, private property be darned. They steal and destroy and have parents who excuse their behavior and wouldn't think of saying no to their little darling devils.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.


longhorn_92
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#14

Post by longhorn_92 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:23 am

TheArmedFarmer wrote:
Trespassing teenagers who think the world is their playground, private property be darned. They steal and destroy and have parents who excuse their behavior and wouldn't think of saying no to their little darling devils.
Parents who don't parent and just want to be their kids "Best Friend"....this is why we have so many kids who think the world is their playground.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4851
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

#15

Post by flintknapper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 am

longhorn_92 wrote:
TheArmedFarmer wrote:
Trespassing teenagers who think the world is their playground, private property be darned. They steal and destroy and have parents who excuse their behavior and wouldn't think of saying no to their little darling devils.
Parents who don't parent and just want to be their kids "Best Friend"....this is why we have so many kids who think the world is their playground.

+1

I'll have to join you on this one.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”