Pet peeves outdoors

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cowboymd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pet peeves outdoors

Post by cowboymd »

Jetskiers that circle the boat while I'm trying to fish for Bass, which are only equaled by the Striper Guides that come in throwing a cast net on the shoreline I am fishing down. :mad5
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

bryang

Post by bryang »

All of the above mentioned "pet peeves outdoors" are very good, however, I think the people that throw all their trash out the window of their truck going down the road or those that don't clean up their camp ground when they leave it...for someone else to worry with, is nunber one with me.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

flintknapper wrote:
longhorn_92 wrote:
TheArmedFarmer wrote:
Trespassing teenagers who think the world is their playground, private property be darned. They steal and destroy and have parents who excuse their behavior and wouldn't think of saying no to their little darling devils.
Parents who don't parent and just want to be their kids "Best Friend"....this is why we have so many kids who think the world is their playground.

+1

I'll have to join you on this one.
:iagree: Me too. :grumble

Piney

Post by Piney »

Mine is folks who refuse to take their trash away !

Dipers in parking lots
Ciggie butts all over the place- streets, parking lots, parks/campgrounds.

Campers and park/lake users who leave the area trashed. We spend a good bit of time out on Texas lakes every year. Shorelines and inlets are the evidence. I guess these so and sos think the water magically disposes of their trash.

Folks who leave their targets and cardboards tacked up at the range.

BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigBlueDodge »

1. I am another of the "cigarette tossing hater" group. Every car comes with a friggen ash tray, and I cannot understand why they do no use it, and instead flick it on the roads
2. Litter'ers. Before we got our current lease, we used to hunt public lands. I am amazed that TP&W just doesn't give up and close off these areas, due to the utter lack of disrespect for the campsites and the woods. Seems like very campsite is littered with beer cans, and trash. The last inhabitants just upped and left and didn't clean up.
3. Boom-Box cars. I can't stand the people that enjoy their music so much while driving, they have to turn it up so loud that EVERYONE around them can enjoy it to. They pull up next to you at a stop light and you can't even carry a conversation on with your wife.
4. People who do not take care of their yard. I am amazed that people will spend alot of money to buy their house, but then refuse to mow the yard. Houses in my neighborhood cost $200K-$300K and it disgusts me people when people let the weeds in their yard grow to 18-20 inches in height. An this is with ANY price range of homes. I mean, do people just not take pride of ownership in their home? To me a home is a home, no matter if it cost $40K or $400K. It's where you live, and I'm amazed at the conditions some people will live in.
5. Maybe its' just me, but I have a really big pet peeve when people parks their cars on MY curbs. We have some people that don't park their own cars in their own driveway, and instead park them on curbs across the street (thankfully not mine).

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

#1 pet peeve: People who see a hole in the ground and have to fill it with trash. A gentleman who had been allowing us to use his pit as a range in exchange for keeping yotes and other predators in check eventually had to close it to every one. At one point me, my friends, and the owner hauled off over three pickup loads of trash to the dump. When we got back there was more trash in the pit than before we had started hauling it off.

#2 pet peeve: under age parties where we hunt. Although its kinda funny to watch drunk teens run away from a sounder.

#3 pet peeve: Drunks in general.

#4 pet peeve: Litter bugs in general.

#5 pet peeve: People who don't respect the land, wildlife, and property owners.

#6 pet peeve: That guy who always has to walk over and tell you what your doing wrong when he knows nothing about what your doing.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

subsonic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by subsonic »

Littering and trespassing. Especially trespassing litterers who leave ads on house doors and car windows.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

BigBlueDodge wrote: 4. People who do not take care of their yard. I am amazed that people will spend alot of money to buy their house, but then refuse to mow the yard. Houses in my neighborhood cost $200K-$300K and it disgusts me people when people let the weeds in their yard grow to 18-20 inches in height. An this is with ANY price range of homes. I mean, do people just not take pride of ownership in their home? To me a home is a home, no matter if it cost $40K or $400K. It's where you live, and I'm amazed at the conditions some people will live in.
This is one of the reasons I will never live somewhere with a home owners association. If it's my house and my land I will do with it what I please. Now I'm sure I'd keep the lawn mowed but maybe I enjoy a couch on the porch that others consider it an eyesore.

BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

atxgun wrote:
BigBlueDodge wrote: 4. People who do not take care of their yard. I am amazed that people will spend alot of money to buy their house, but then refuse to mow the yard. Houses in my neighborhood cost $200K-$300K and it disgusts me people when people let the weeds in their yard grow to 18-20 inches in height. An this is with ANY price range of homes. I mean, do people just not take pride of ownership in their home? To me a home is a home, no matter if it cost $40K or $400K. It's where you live, and I'm amazed at the conditions some people will live in.
This is one of the reasons I will never live somewhere with a home owners association. If it's my house and my land I will do with it what I please. Now I'm sure I'd keep the lawn mowed but maybe I enjoy a couch on the porch that others consider it an eyesore.
I am off the opinion that HOA's are generally good. Why? They are there to ensure that the quality of the neighborhood is maintained. My in laws lived in a neighborhood that does not have an HOA. Drive down their streets, and you will find yards that grossly overgrown with weeds, wooden fences that are partially fallen down, houses that need painting, driveways with huge oil stains in them, etc. My inlaws took very good care of their house, but when they decided to sale it, the neighborhood drug the house value down. It's a sad fact that HOA's even have to exist, but you will find people that just flat out don't want to take care of their house. And unfortunately, those people will punish the folks that do decide to take care of their house.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

BigBlueDodge wrote:
I am off the opinion that HOA's are generally good. Why? They are there to ensure that the quality of the neighborhood is maintained. My in laws lived in a neighborhood that does not have an HOA. Drive down their streets, and you will find yards that grossly overgrown with weeds, wooden fences that are partially fallen down, houses that need painting, driveways with huge oil stains in them, etc. My inlaws took very good care of their house, but when they decided to sale it, the neighborhood drug the house value down. It's a sad fact that HOA's even have to exist, but you will find people that just flat out don't want to take care of their house. And unfortunately, those people will punish the folks that do decide to take care of their house.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Its either my property or it's not. I would never spend the money a Home costs to allow someone to dictate how high my grass can be. Around here I've seen HOA's steal an old persons home away from them over a couple hundred dollar in fees. Giving up freedom is generally a bad Idea. The only people I ever heard that were happy with their HOA are the folks actually running it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I wouldn't have a gripe with cigarette butts if they were biodegradable, but they're synthetic and will last forever. Unfiltered? The paper and tobacco will disappear in a week, composted back into the earth from whence they came. But filters last as long as throwing a piece of carpet on the ground.

KaiserB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KaiserB »

KBCraig wrote:I wouldn't have a gripe with cigarette butts if they were biodegradable, but they're synthetic and will last forever. Unfiltered? The paper and tobacco will disappear in a week, composted back into the earth from whence they came. But filters last as long as throwing a piece of carpet on the ground.
:iagree:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

Loose, large, dangerous dogs.

Their owners however are worse.

With an angry face, they'll argue their dog has a perfect right to roam free and chase people, old or young, big or small, and further, these pesky people have no right to protest or defend themselves from imminent attack.

My conclusion: These owners really do know better, but consider acting irrationally to be their only effective response in the face of their obvious irresponsibility.

I don't the law regarding this issue, but there should be some form of quick justice from this type dog owner. Perhaps, a fine for a first offense and a larger for a second and confiscation of the dog for a third, who'll then be put in a shelter and have an opportunity to be adopted or ...?

You might say "Poor dog, it's not his fault" and you'd be right. But, who and what's more important? The dog or the innocent, at risk person who can't use the streets without being in danger of dog attack because of an unreliable dog owner?

barres

Post by barres »

BigBlueDodge wrote:1. I am another of the "cigarette tossing hater" group. Every car comes with a friggen ash tray, and I cannot understand why they do no use it, and instead flick it on the roads
I agree with you, but I do have to point out that some cars today do not come with ash trays. My wife's new minivan, for example.
BigBlueDodge wrote:3. Boom-Box cars. I can't stand the people that enjoy their music so much while driving, they have to turn it up so loud that EVERYONE around them can enjoy it to. They pull up next to you at a stop light and you can't even carry a conversation on with your wife.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I propose a new hunting license for CHL holders in Texas. Too-loud car stereos. Audio recordings of the stereo from inside your vehicle continuing up to the point of your shooting the offending stereo (including the sound of your car door opening and closing) will prevent prosecution for the use of your firearm. Only .22 caliber handguns can be used for these hunts. Injury to a human being will cause forfeiture of the license. It is strongly recommended that a larger caliber BUG be carried on these hunts for those instances where the owners of the offending stereos take offense to your harvesting their noise-maker. :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Return to “Off-Topic”