Texas State Guard

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sneedb82
Posts in topic: 3

Texas State Guard

Post by sneedb82 »

Howdy Texans. I am curious, as I am currently in the process of becoming a new member of the Texas State Guard. Just looking for a few of my fellow Texans that are already in the TSG, or have served previously.

I'm thankful for all of our fellow Texans who are currently serving in the Texas National Guard, or even those in the Texas Air Guard. We thank you for your selfless service, and appreciate your determination in fighting for our freedoms and liberties. Let's keep up the fight... let's compel others to do the same.

Brandon

GrillKing
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Texas State Guard

Post by GrillKing »

Brandon,

I am in the TXSG in the Austin area. Serving fellow Texans in times of crises is a very fulfilling calling. Check out our Regimental website at http://www.txsg2regt.net or the main TXSG site at http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/. Let me know if you (or anyone else) have any questions. We are always looking for new recruits, both prior service and non-prior service.

Gary

TexasRedRock
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasRedRock »

Brandon,

Thank you for your service to the state and country. I am on Active Duty now, but I did State time when I was out in North Carolina. Being able to help out your local citizens is something you will enjoy. I worked Hurricane Isabel in 2003, and then after 3 weekes of working it, I was mobilized for Iraq. Hang in there and make the best of it. Let me know if you need anything.

TRR :txflag:

Morgan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Morgan »

I looked at the website a bit, and I'm very interested in hearing more. I was always bummed that I was unable to serve in the military due to my eyesight (which was corrected by laser surgery a few years ago). This could be a great way to give something back.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Morgan wrote:I looked at the website a bit, and I'm very interested in hearing more. I was always bummed that I was unable to serve in the military due to my eyesight (which was corrected by laser surgery a few years ago). This could be a great way to give something back.
Morgan,

I also am bummed that I didn't have federal service in earlier years, but several years ago I found the TXSG and decided to enlist. I have had the fortunate experience to have been called to State Active Duty for 6 Hurricanes, starting with Katrina, and a Flood Relief Mission. The State Guard in Texas is respected by our Texas Army and Air National Guard brothers and sisters due to the hard work and commitment they have seen when working side by side on missions here in Texas. All three report to the Adjutant General of Texas and the Governor as Commander in Chief.

Many members of the TXSG have prior federal service and just want to serve in uniform again, and many like you and myself without that prior service want to give something back to our fellow citizens. If you join us, you will get the training you need to perform the mission.

I'll confess, I get as much out as I put in. I really enjoy helping people out under adverse conditions, but I also enjoying serving with like minded people -- it's hard work, but it is fun.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have or get you in touch with a recruiter in the DFW area if you wish.

Gary

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

Wow! I had no idea such an organization even existed. I am very interested.

What are some of the duties involved? I finished my military with the NG a few years back and have always had the military itch since. Are there mandatory requirements once enlisted? I ask because I currently have a full time job and a 4 month old baby. I just want to make sure I can meet these obligations while still being able to meet the obligations of the Texas State Guard.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

pbwalker wrote:Wow! I had no idea such an organization even existed. I am very interested.

What are some of the duties involved? I finished my military with the NG a few years back and have always had the military itch since. Are there mandatory requirements once enlisted? I ask because I currently have a full time job and a 4 month old baby. I just want to make sure I can meet these obligations while still being able to meet the obligations of the Texas State Guard.
Duties vary based on the mission, but we, along with the TARNG and TANG (when they are on state duty) are primarily DSCA, Defense Support to Civilian Authorities. The TXSG is considered shelter operations subject matter experts, encompassing all aspects of running shelters or assisting civilian agencies (Red Cross, etc) in shelter ops where needed. Shelters range from a few dozen displaced persons to thousands. More than 10,000 were at Kelly USA in San Antonio during Katrina. We have run POD's (Points of Distribution) distributing emergency supplies as needed. My unit dispersed hundreds of thousand of gallons of drinking water during the Marble Falls floods of 2007. During Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, my unit assisted with evacuation of special needs citizens (elderly or with various disabilities) that needed evacuation transport away from the hurricane zone by bus, ambulance or TXANG aircraft. We were involved with using the bar code / RF system the state has developed to ensure persons, family members, wheel chairs and other special medical devices are all kept together on the correct bus going to the correct shelter location elsewhere in Texas. And of course all returning to their city of origin. Dolly was primarily shelter operations in Harlingen (got to see a little wind with that one!!).

As far as job / family life balance, once you are activated you are legally required to go / stay. You are protected under state law just as TXARG and TANG are when they are on State Active Duty (Fed law protects them when on Federal duty). However, my experience has been that the TXSG works with their personnel when extenuating family / employer situations arise. I know the 2nd Regt (Central Texas) is very good about working with extenuating circumstances.

Most units drill 1 Saturday per month at their local armory, some drill the full weekend. We all attend a 4 day annual training at either Camp Swift or Camp Bowie. Requirements are reasonably good health and height / weight ratio. Not quite as strict as the TARNG, but there is a standard. Clean criminal background, and a willingness to serve.

You can submit your resignation at any time you are not on State Active Duty but they ask for an initial 2 or 3 year (I can't remember) commitment. However, you are not held to that and will receive an honorable discharge if you resign while NOT activated for an emergency.

It's been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and only wish I had started earlier.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Also, you are limited to deployment within Texas, with very rare deployment of limited numbers to adjoining states when requested by the other state's governor and agreed to by ours. I only know of two times this has happened. During Katrina, TXSG communications technicians went to Louisiana to assist the Texas Army National Guard with the ISCISIS comm system, and also during Katrina, TXSG Chaplains were attached to Texas NG Units in Louisiana as the NG Chaplain's were in Iraq. In addition to assisting civilian authorities during times of crises, we are also tasked with supporting the Army and Air NG in Texas when our expertise is needed or additional resources are required.

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jeeperbryan »

Wow, I had no idea about the Texas State Guard. Thanks for posting, i'm joining.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

GrillKing - Thank you for the comprehensive info! I have sent in for some info from my local recruiter! :tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

pbwalker wrote:GrillKing - Thank you for the comprehensive info! I have sent in for some info from my local recruiter! :tiphat:
pbwalker,

San Antonio is the 1st Regiment. I am in the 2nd. Our Area goes from Waco down to San Marcos. I drill at the San Marcos armory. If you are interested I could get you in touch with our recruiter and if you wanted, you could visit us in San Marcos at a drill.

Just a thought...

Fangs
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Fangs »

What's the Texas State Guard's take on legal resident aliens wanting to join? I have a green card, just curious...
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

Fangs wrote:What's the Texas State Guard's take on legal resident aliens wanting to join? I have a green card, just curious...
Good question. I think it is OK, but am not sure. If you are interested, I'll see what I can find out.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

GrillKing wrote:
Fangs wrote:What's the Texas State Guard's take on legal resident aliens wanting to join? I have a green card, just curious...
Good question. I think it is OK, but am not sure. If you are interested, I'll see what I can find out.
Got the question in to my recruiter.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

As long as you are a legal resident and meet all other eligibility requirements (background check, age, height/weight, etc.) you are good to go. Let me know and I can get you in contact with our recruiter if you are interested. The San Marcos Armory would be convenient for you. We also have 2nd Regt subordinate units in Gatesville, Camp Swift (Bastrop) and Camp Bowie (Brownwood).

Return to “Off-Topic”