Vehicle Registration Sticker & new windshield

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Vehicle Registration Sticker & new windshield

Post by LedJedi »

Hey folks, long time no talkie-talkie

I have a question and I have a sneaking feeling that several folks on this board might have an answer for me.

The windshield on my truck is cracked and I'll probably replace it in the next year. I dont have the spare cash to do it right now. I just got our new registration sticker for the truck and I'm hesitate to put the new sticker directly on the windshield, because the windshield needs to be replaced. I expect problems if I try to remove the sticker and apply it to the new windshield. It seems a hassle to get a new sticker in that situation and I'd rather avoid that. I have several other official parking stickers and the inspection sticker that are already in place on the windshield so i'll have to replace those anyway. I'd like to avoid replacing any more than I absolutely have to.

So I came up with this solution. Apply the registration sticker to a sheet of clear plastic (i used the plastic from a heavy duty ziploc bag) and then tape the sticker and plastic to the windshield. The thought is that this will be much easier to move from one windshield to another.

I honestly doubt that anyone will notice this as different from a normal application since the plastic is clear and I'll use clear packing tape to apply the sticker to the windshield. Doubtful if even a leo will notice unless they're looking REALLY close.

I'm guessing i'm technically out of compliance with the law, but if it ever becomes an issue in court (over say a ticket) then I'll just explain the situation to the judge. The sticker itself is valid and will be attached in the correct location on the correct vehicle so I'm not seeing how this would be an issue.

input? Does anyone see an issue with this plan?

I'm actually considering doing this with ALL of my windshield stickers in the future just in case they need to be replaced at some point.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Vehicle Registration Sticker & new windshield

Post by AEA »

I think you could be charged with a crime (failure to display sticker as directed).
The instructions provided with the sticker amount to the law on display as far as I know and they say nothing about a sheet of plastic or whatever.

I had a broken windshield and had it replaced at a reputable automotive glass shop and they transferred the sticker from the old windshield to the new one with no problem.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

I think those stickers are designed so they can't be peeled off and replaced. I would just stick it in my glove box and if you get pulled over show it to the officer. I know from experience if you get pulled over w/o proof of insurance on hand it gets thrown out when you show you were insured at the time (of course costing you some time).

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

I too had a windshield replaced and the company transferred my sticker to the new windshield. The stickers are designed to not be able to do it, but anytime I change mine out, if I try I can take it off intact. :tiphat:
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I just took my old one off in one piece as I was sitting at a stop light. It is possible if you can just get it started.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LedJedi wrote:I honestly doubt that anyone will notice this as different from a normal application since the plastic is clear and I'll use clear packing tape to apply the sticker to the windshield. Doubtful if even a leo will notice unless they're looking REALLY close.

I'm guessing i'm technically out of compliance with the law, but if it ever becomes an issue in court (over say a ticket) then I'll just explain the situation to the judge. The sticker itself is valid and will be attached in the correct location on the correct vehicle so I'm not seeing how this would be an issue.

input? Does anyone see an issue with this plan?
As far as the sticker goes, I don't think you would be out of compliance, but I think that an LEO will definitely notice. [You aren't the first person to try this tactic.] As long as you keep a copy of the registration paperwork in the car, you should be legal. But I think the LEO will probably write you up for a safety violation of having a cracked windshield. IANAL, but that's the way I see it. :tiphat:
Last edited by WildBill on Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

The guys at these glass shops transfer so many stickers they are experts at it. Just put the new one on the windshield and they will transfer it when you get it replaced.

ELB

Post by ELB »

dcphoto wrote:The guys at these glass shops transfer so many stickers they are experts at it. Just put the new one on the windshield and they will transfer it when you get it replaced.
+1 +1

I have had a windshield replaced a couple times, and it was no problem whatsoever for the installer to swap the stickers over. I usually have about five such stickers (ones that supposedly can' t be removed w/o destroying them) and it's not even a challenge. Recently had a guy swapped out my truck's cracked windshield for new one right in my driveway, and it took him all of 25 minutes, stickers included.

Just paste that baby on there like normal.

elb

p.s. IANAL and all that, but as far as the crack goes, I believe you are OK (i.e. won't get a ticket for a cracked windshield) as long as is it not in the driver's direct/normal line of vision. One of my acquaintances who was short on cash drove around forever with a big head-shaped bulge/spider crack over on the passenger side, where one of his passengers hit her head when they slid of the road into a ditch. (she was OK, amazingly enough). Judging by the number of vehicles I see like this running around, I think even if any crack is illegal, it is a low priority on the LE list of things to write tickets for...
Last edited by ELB on Sat May 30, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

wow, makes me wish i hadn't already mounted the sticker on the plastic. I didn't think it would be that easy. I remember back when I was a kid one of the stickers would have "void" appear all over it if you peeled it off. I figured this one would change colors or something similar. I know the inspection sticker has little perforations all over it so if it's peeled up it'll tear apart. Guess if you have a skilled hand that doesn't matter either.

Will try to pull the sticker off the plastic and put it on the windshield.

Thanks for the input guys. Knew you would have the answers. :)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I had my windshield replaced due to a crack in March of '07. My stickers expire in August. The guy who came to my work place and replaced the windshield transferred my stickers from the old one to the new, and you couldn't even tell it had been moved.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

The glass guys use a heat gun to melt the glue on the stickers. I'd go ahead and put them on and then let the glass repair guys transfer them when you get a new windshield.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

AEA wrote:I think you could be charged with a crime (failure to display sticker as directed).
The instructions provided with the sticker amount to the law on display as far as I know and they say nothing about a sheet of plastic or whatever.

I had a broken windshield and had it replaced at a reputable automotive glass shop and they transferred the sticker from the old windshield to the new one with no problem.
I agree...I have had this done, and it was no problem, even after the procedure, as I have been pulled over and the sticker was carefully scrutinized...I told the officer that yep the windscreen had been recently replaced and that he said the sticker looked like it was transferred...He said it looked like a good job...

So it really doesn't look like they'd bust your chops over this anyway...

As it probably happens ALL the time...Especially on Houston freeways and all the debris on them...

I would not sweat it too much...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I may have missed a post, but I didn't see anything about the inspection sticker. True the registration can be easily moved, but the inspection sticker will "Void" when removed. You have will 5 days to get re-inspected. According to the company that replaced my windshield last month.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

ELB

Post by ELB »

lrb111 wrote:I may have missed a post, but I didn't see anything about the inspection sticker. True the registration can be easily moved, but the inspection sticker will "Void" when removed. You have will 5 days to get re-inspected. According to the company that replaced my windshield last month.
An inspection sticker was one of the five stickers moved with no problem on my windshield replacement.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

lrb111 wrote:I may have missed a post, but I didn't see anything about the inspection sticker. True the registration can be easily moved, but the inspection sticker will "Void" when removed. You have will 5 days to get re-inspected. According to the company that replaced my windshield last month.
Or they screwed up and told you that to cover their tracks. I've had two of them moved in the last couple of years with no problems. (Lousy luck with windshields...not much better with bumpers, for that matter.)

Return to “Off-Topic”