Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston Needs Help!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston Needs Help!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is a message that appears on the website of the Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston. This is a great group of folks and they really need help. If you want a great dog that doesn't shed (yeah, really, they don't shed), or if you can foster a dog, please get in touch with these folks. Here is a direct link to their dogs.

Thanks from the Cottons, a 3-Schnauzer family.
Chas.
Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston wrote:*** URGENT ALERT - - ADOPTER & FOSTER HOMES NEEDED ***

MSRH Team & Friends - - we are in desperate need of forever and foster homes for lost and abandoned Schnauzers. The economy has slowed the pace of adoptions yet abandoned dogs are coming to us in record numbers! There are currently more than 120 Schnauzers in MSRH’s care! 39 dogs came into MSRH in the month of May 2009 alone compared to only 12 adoptions during the month! Please - if you can help us, visit our Looking for Homes section or visit our “Volunteer!” page from the left hand menu to see how you can become a foster. For the first time in MSRH history, we’re turning away dogs. Contact us….please!!

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston Needs Help!

Post by joe817 »

Gosh, if I didn't already have 2 dogs(one a rescue dog), I'd love to have another Schnauzer. Had one when I was a teenager. They are lovable dogs...great watch dogs, and very are loyal.

I pray they be adopted quickly. If you try to buy one on the market, you'll see what I mean.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Nicolai
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nicolai »

Handsome guys. Ours is a rescue Keeshond--Ben, although he prefers "Ben the Wonder Dog"--and I don't think he'd want to adopt a dog right now.
My wife and I just can't say enough good things about the Tri-State Keeshond rescue group and we suspect the other rescue organizations are just as conscientious. If you're in the market for a dog, it's hard to go wrong with one from rescue.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Venus Pax »

We cannot take a rescue at this time. We discovered how ill-prepared we were when we had a temporary rescue that we named "Harry Houdini" for being an avid escapist.

However, I would definitely recommend adopting from a schnauzer RESCUE if anyone ever wants a dog. These dogs are like children with bushy eyebrows and beards. They're also easy to train and eager to please.

Some of you may remember my prayer request for Baxter last August. (He is still doing very well.) He's a good, obedient little guy, and I got him from a local rescue.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Tass

Post by Tass »

If anyone is in the Houston area this week, the Reliant Series of Dog Shows runs 7/16-19 at the Reliant Center. There will be many rescue groups in attendance and all need assistance. If you can stop by, give a buck or two to offset the costs of vet care, etc. Most will have some pretty cool raffle items also.

Tass and Earnest (agility dog)
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Schnauzers are great dogs and anyone interested should absolutely get one from a rescue organization.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat: \
They are great dogs.. had one as a child....brave . loyal and smart...no fear..
God Bliss America.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here is an urgent request from MSRH.

Chas.
Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Huston wrote:Dear Schnauzer Friends

MSRH has a few new Schnauzer babies in need of loving foster homes/families. As you are all aware we depend solely on our volunteers to help care for the minis until they go to their forever home. If you are in the Houston or surrounding area please considering fostering one or more of these sweeties … for a short time or until they are adopted … step up and say “I want to help!!”

Take a look at the below list … open your hearts and air conditioned homes to one of these special Schnauzer boys and girls … they will forever be grateful and so will MSRH. Boarding is an expense we cannot afford it for this many dogs.
  • Andy … White… Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 3 Years … 15 Pounds
    Ashley … Black/White … Terrier Mix … Female … Natural Ears … Natural Tail … 1 Year … 13 Pounds
    Bartollo … Black … Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 5 Years … 16 Pounds
    Becka … S/P … Female … Natural Ears … Natural Tail … 8 Months … 10 Pounds
    Bentley … Black … Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 2 Years … 10 Pounds
    Caleb … Black … Male … Natural Ears … Natural Tail … 18 Months … 12 Pounds
    Dayton … S/P … Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 2 Years … 11 Pounds
    Dudley … White … Male … Cropped Ears … Docked Tail … 8 Years … 15 Pounds
    Gentry … S/P … Male … Cropped Ears … Docked Tail … 7 Years … 20 Pounds
    Ivan … S/P … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 3 Years … 17 Pounds
    Keito … S/P … Male … Cropped Ears … Docked Tail … 10 Years … 15 Pounds
    Mozart … S/P … Male … Cropped Ears … Docked Tail … 18 Months … 12 Pounds
    Rex … S/P … Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 1 Year … 15 Pounds
    Sadie … S/P … Female … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 4 Years … 17 Pounds
    Senta … S/P … Female … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 2 Years … 16 Pounds … Right back foot has been amputated … does not inhibit her from walking … totally healed
    Sterling … B/S … Male … Natural Ears … Natural Tail … 6 Months … 12 Pounds
    Sybil … Silver … Female … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 2 Years … 13 Pounds
    Timmy … S/P … Male … Natural Ears … Docked Tail … 2 Years … 24 Pounds
    Tyson … Black … Male … Natural Ears … Docked tail … 10 Months …10 Pounds
All of the minis have been fully vetted and are more than ready to go into a foster home now.

Please contact Marilyn at pepper591@sbcglobal.net or 281-537-1441 or 713-562-7153, or me by e-mail or 281-358-7303 or 713-298-4999 if you can help foster one or more of these minis. If you have not fostered before please contact me and I will send you the necessary forms. The most important ingredient in becoming a foster parent is giving lots of love to these precious Schnauzer babies until their forever families take them home

If you would like to add to your family or you have a responsible friend or relative thinking about adopting please go to the website at http://www.msrh.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and submit an adoption application. Please help us help more Schnauzers by becoming a foster parent

All the Schnauzers waiting for their forever homes are so anxious to hear from you, please contact us today. Special thanks to all current fostering families sharing their homes and loving these little ones first. Saving one Schnauzer may not change the world, but it will certainly change the world for that one Schnauzer

Schnauzer Hugs and Kisses To All

Sherry
MSRH Vice President

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

My word, that's 19 dogs I counted. They must be bordering on being overwhelmed.

Is there any kind of "mutual aid accord" for their sister organizations in the larger metro cities of Texas? I'd think that distributing some the dogs to those areas would not only lessen the burden on the Houston organization, but also provide homes quicker to those deserving dogs throughout the state......just a thought.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

joe817 wrote:My word, that's 19 dogs I counted. They must be bordering on being overwhelmed.

Is there any kind of "mutual aid accord" for their sister organizations in the larger metro cities of Texas? I'd think that distributing some the dogs to those areas would not only lessen the burden on the Houston organization, but also provide homes quicker to those deserving dogs throughout the state......just a thought.
I'm not sure as Martha and I aren't working with them, other than Martha doing home visits. We have three Schnauzers, two of them coming from MSRH. So we're at our limit per Friendswood ordinances.

I know MSRH has taken dogs from other areas to keep them from being killed, but I don't know if they have other organizations that help them when they are over-burdened.

Thanks for asking,
Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:We have three Schnauzers, two of them coming from MSRH. So we're at our limit per Friendswood ordinances.
There's a "three Schnauzers per family" ordinance in Friendswood? :mrgreen:

Sorry... I saw that and I couldn't resist.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:We have three Schnauzers, two of them coming from MSRH. So we're at our limit per Friendswood ordinances.
There's a "three Schnauzers per family" ordinance in Friendswood? :mrgreen:

Sorry... I saw that and I couldn't resist.
HOAs are bad about limiting the number of indoor pets one can have, which I find a bit silly. (I can see setting a higher number.) A friend of mine used to have FIVE cats, and went through quite the trouble to keep them hidden from her HOA. All were indoors, but they were all rescues and she was attached to them all. She even put up solar screens on her windows so that her darker cats could not be seen from the road.

Where we currently live, there is a limit of two cats and two dogs per house. Other than caged animals (hamsters, sugar gliders, etc.) and fish, no other pets are allowed.

A friend of mine keeps CHICKENS in her backyard. I can't figure out for the life of me how she has kept them for so long. And she has neighbors on all sides of her. She even had to chase one down the street one day. So far, no one has said anything.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Venus Pax wrote:A friend of mine keeps CHICKENS in her backyard. I can't figure out for the life of me how she has kept them for so long. And she has neighbors on all sides of her. She even had to chase one down the street one day. So far, no one has said anything.
Maybe she keeps enough chickens to keep her neighbors in eggs, and maybe the occasional broiler. ;-)

I live in a small suburb of a medium-sized city. If there are any zoning restrictions here, no one seems to pay attention. My wife has 10-15 clients per week dropping by her home-based business. (The city manager and police chief both live in cul-de-sacs behind us, and pass by our house several times a day going to/from city hall.) I didn't ask anyone's permission to close in my garage for my wife's business (since building permits aren't needed to replace or install doors or windows, I simply replaced a 16' door with a 36" door and a window, with a big shim to fill in the gaps.)
:biggrinjester:

As for critters, we have five dogs and two cats, plus we're currently babysitting two small dogs and fostering a Great Pyrenees until we can find her owner, or new owners. We've had a ferret, a parrot, and a goat, plus fish tanks and turtles. It was just a couple of years ago that they passed an ordinance prohibiting cows and horses on lots under 2 acres (ours is a half acre, darn it), but grandfathered in those who were already there. There are horses catty-corner from city hall, and a ranch with longhorns that sometimes graze right up to the fence on the main road through town.

And of course we've had possums in the cat food, and snapping turtles looking for relief from the rain this very wet summer. We don't claim those, although my wife was calling him "our possum" for a while.

I should mention that this is a nice neighborhood. Within 30 miles of Dallas or Houston, these ranch houses on half acre lots would go for $250-300 K, but luckily here they go for half that. People take care of their stuff without snoops measuring the height of their grass or running a spectrometer on the color of their shutters.

It's nice. :cool:

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into the HOA thread. ;-)

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

chabouk wrote:People take care of their stuff without snoops measuring the height of their grass or running a spectrometer on the color of their shutters.
It sounds like you have a good set-up.
There's something to be said for HOAs when they aren't too controlling. When we lived in an unrestricted section of the county, we had one set of neighbors that were just plain disgusting. Trash, car, ATV & boat parts in the yard, and tons of cages with squawking birds. A house that looked to originally be worth $250k was maybe half that by the time we moved five years later. Not only did they lower the value of their own house, but mine as well.

OTOH, in my current neighborhood, one family had to rip off their Ike roof because the HOA hadn't approved it. It would have been understandable if the roof were some outlandish color, but Mars & I certainly never noticed it looking bad as we drove by.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

I just want to Point out that Schnauzers are great dogs, low dander, very energetic (but not overly so) and with a little training can be a kids best friend.
Just 3 things
Brush them, its good for them, its a bonding thing, and it keeps grooming costs low. I suggest you Brush them somewhere other than your lap/the floor/couch, put them on a work bench or washer/dryer and keep taking them back to that spot for brushing.

brush their teeth, for 10 dollars you can get a reusable dog toothbrush and paste at Petsmart. One Tube should last 6 months. You can Brush their teeth everyday, its good for them. Also it makes their breath smell better, bad breath is not normal for dogs

Clean their ears cut their nails., Schnauzers get excess hair in their ears and yeah, it needs to be pulled now and then, you can do it yourself or go to a vet/groomer to do so. You can cut their nails yourself (its not that hard) or you can even dremel the nail smooth, once again this can also be done at the vet or a groomer.

Keep up the good work Mr. Cotton.
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Return to “Off-Topic”