The right to line dry

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

The right to line dry

Post by Venus Pax »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091118/us_ ... sa_laundry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do people have the right to line dry?

Or do people have the right to not see their neighbors' laundry drying on the line?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Zee

Re: The right to line dry

Post by Zee »

I didn't know it was in question. I like it myself. It reminds me of other times, long ago and far away.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USA1 »

Hmm , tough call .

Personally I would never display my unmentionables for all to see. :oops:
That's what back yards are for. :mrgreen:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TLynnHughes »

Venus Pax wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091118/us_ ... sa_laundry

Do people have the right to line dry?

Or do people have the right to not see their neighbors' laundry drying on the line?
You're kidding me right? Is this really an issue? I'd rather see unmentionables hanging on a line than seeing them on TV with people wearing them. ;-)

T>
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

I can't imagine the reaction my wife would have if someone told her she can't hang our clothes out anymore.

This is reason #76 to live out in the country, with plenty of acreage and privacy. No nosy neighbors telling you how to live your life.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

This is actually a topic of discussion in our home.

When I was growing up, we line dried many things because we thought it was expensive to run the dryer. (Lined dried clothing also lasts longer.)

Mars, on the other hand, came from a family that never did such a thing.

In our previous house, he removed a very nice clothes line left by the previous owner because it looked "trashy" to him. I did convince him to build me a nice hanging rack in the laundry room of our old house.

In our current home, there are deed restrictions that prevent us from openly hanging even if we wanted to, but we could get away with it in the back yard.
Currently, I line dry some clothing and cloth diaper covers in the closets and bathrooms.

Just curious of what others think.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Venus Pax wrote: In our current home, there are deed restrictions that prevent us from openly hanging even if we wanted to, but we could get away with it in the back yard.
And unfortunately when you enter into that CC&R, it is a private contract that supersedes any state or local allowance of the item. The only way you can get past it is if the gooberment makes it illegal for the home owners association to prohibit the item, like TV antennas for off-air reception.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Venus Pax wrote:This is actually a topic of discussion in our home.

When I was growing up, we line dried many things because we thought it was expensive to run the dryer. (Lined dried clothing also lasts longer.)

In our previous house, he removed a very nice clothes line left by the previous owner because it looked "trashy" to him. I did convince him to build me a nice hanging rack in the laundry room of our old house.

In our current home, there are deed restrictions that prevent us from openly hanging even if we wanted to, but we could get away with it in the back yard.
Currently, I line dry some clothing and cloth diaper covers in the closets and bathrooms.

I never even thought about it. I don't line dry because it's more convenient for me to use a dryer, but I would never even bat an eye if my neighbor did it, especially if they lived in a farmhouse type community as I think was mentioned in the original article. There is no detergent on earth that can match the smell of line dried fabric. I just never could figure out how to line dry something without it getting so stiff. And since I do most of my laundry in the evening after work, line dry is a bit impractical. But I wouldn't fault anyone else for doing it.

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

bdickens
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bdickens »

Some people need to find a better hobby than sticking their noses into other people's business.
Byron Dickens

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

Venus Pax wrote: Do people have the right to line dry?

People also have the right to not look at it.
NRA Life Member

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

People have an absolute right to not live in under an HOA agreement.

Makes it tougher to find a house, especially in Houston, but I would never live in a HOA community.

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

TLynnHughes wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:This is actually a topic of discussion in our home.

I never even thought about it. I don't line dry because it's more convenient for me to use a dryer, but I would never even bat an eye if my neighbor did it, especially if they lived in a farmhouse type community as I think was mentioned in the original article. There is no detergent on earth that can match the smell of line dried fabric. I just never could figure out how to line dry something without it getting so stiff. And since I do most of my laundry in the evening after work, line dry is a bit impractical. But I wouldn't fault anyone else for doing it.

T.
I'll second the "smells better" thought. As to things getting stiff, most items are fine when line dried (sheets are especially nice), but t-shirts do tend to get a bit stiff. I've found that you can fix this by line drying them and then tossing them into the dryer for a couple minutes (the permanent-press saver cool-down cycle is great for this, because it doesn't heat the dryer up). It isn't as cost saving as purely line dried, but its better than purely in the dryer...

STI Shooter

Post by STI Shooter »

This country is going to hell in a hand basket, and someone is giving someone else a hard time about hanging their undies out side to dry! Not trying to make little of this particular subject, but some people need to find something more important to raise a ruckus about. :banghead:

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

STI Shooter wrote:This country is going to heck in a hand basket, and someone is giving someone else a hard time about hanging their undies out side to dry! Not trying to make little of this particular subject, but some people need to find something more important to raise a ruckus about. :banghead:
:iagree:
That's exactly what I meant with my first reply. I couldn't believe this had actually made it into the media.

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

Return to “Off-Topic”