Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
iratollah
Posts in topic: 3

Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Post by iratollah »

Did my idea get stolen? About 13-14 months ago I sent to Seventeen magazine a picture of my daughter (Brunetti) sporting her bronze medal from Camp Perry along with a pic of the top 3 Texas Junior High Power shooters, who were all female and attractive. I suggested that Seventeen write an article on Girls and Guns. Never heard back from them.

Brunetti called me from Tel Aviv yesterday all irritated, "Daddy, Seventeen magazine ran a story on Girls with Guns. And the two with rifles were using scopes! Scoped rifles! That means they can't be that good!!!" And so on and so on, she had a bit to say and it was rather embellished.

This was the November issue which was delivered in October. This means it went to press in June/July. So they probably started working on the story in February. About 3-4 months after they got my email.

Did I give them the idea for the story? Brunetti says yes, and the editors (perform the mechanical action required to drink through a straw). A journalist friend says probably was my idea. That's okay.

The story (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html) was mostly positive. I suggested that my daughter write a letter to the editor if she wants to see her name there. BTW, she was still 17 when I wrote the letter and she just turned 19.

Some of you High Power shooters on this board will recognize these girls who at the 2008 Camp Perry National championships were the top 3 Texas juniors:

Same three at 2007 National Championships. Do not be fooled, these girls shoot better than most of us guys.
Last edited by iratollah on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns

Post by joe817 »

Fascinating post & pics ! Congrats to your daughter. It's refreshing to see things like this.

Thanks for posting. :tiphat: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
iratollah

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Post by iratollah »

I found a link where someone posted a copy of the story. They should have had some of the U.S. top female competitors in the story to emphasize the sporting aspect.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

iratollah wrote:I found a link where someone posted a copy of the story. They should have had some of the U.S. top female competitors in the story to emphasize the sporting aspect.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html
It's good that they published the article, but there is one thing I do object to about its tone, and that is all the emphasis on how the gun makes the girls feel, rather than what they can do with the gun, or their involvement in the sport. The reason this bothers me is that this is part of the misconception that anti-gunners have about the gun culture — that we are dysfunctional people who require the talisman of a gun to complete ourselves.
17 Magazine wrote:"It makes me feel strong"...

"It makes me feel safe"...

"It makes me feel proud"...

"Shooting makes me feel confident"...
Are they not strong/safe/proud/confident without a gun in their hands? To me, guns do not augment who I already am as a person. The article kind of implies that these young ladies are somehow more complete as individuals because they shoot guns. You are rightfully proud of your daughter's accomplishments, and she should be too. But I'm also betting that your young lady is complete as a person, with or without her guns.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to anyone else, but that's my 2¢.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

karder

Post by karder »

I would have sure enjoyed knowing some girls like those when I was 17! ;-)
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Congrats. I love to see young ladies out shoot most of the guys. :hurry:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

This video may be in keeping with this thread on girls and guns?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusCJ6ypLx ... yBwHN9GbsU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SdKzwmS8w

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by williamkevin »

TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

T.
AHHH.....that never gets old!!! :thumbs2:

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by williamkevin »

iratollah wrote:Did my idea get stolen? About 13-14 months ago I sent to Seventeen magazine a picture of my daughter (Brunetti) sporting her bronze medal from Camp Perry along with a pic of the top 3 Texas Junior High Power shooters, who were all female and attractive. I suggested that Seventeen write an article on Girls and Guns. Never heard back from them.

Brunetti called me from Tel Aviv yesterday all irritated, "Daddy, Seventeen magazine ran a story on Girls with Guns. And the two with rifles were using scopes! Scoped rifles! That means they can't be that good!!!" And so on and so on, she had a bit to say and it was rather embellished.

This was the November issue which was delivered in October. This means it went to press in June/July. So they probably started working on the story in February. About 3-4 months after they got my email.

Did I give them the idea for the story? Brunetti says yes, and the editors (perform the mechanical action required to drink through a straw). A journalist friend says probably was my idea. That's okay.

The story (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html) was mostly positive. I suggested that my daughter write a letter to the editor if she wants to see her name there. BTW, she was still 17 when I wrote the letter and she just turned 19.
Thanks for posting this!!
:coolgleamA:

Topic author
iratollah

Post by iratollah »

TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! [/url]
Well done! Thanks for sharing that. More young women should be encouraged to get into this sport, they are our future. They will be raising our next generation of shooting sports enthusiasts and 2A supporters.

Here is picture of Brunetti's face immediately after the first burst with a FA Uzi...."Daaaaaaaaddy, I want one of these." Right after this pic she was immediately back into it. This was her 17th birthday, her choice for my gift to her. (Keen eyes will notice how she puts Scotch tape over one lens on her competition shooting glasses.)

She's currently a college freshman studying art in Israel and is trying to get some range time in, the gun ownership laws there are surprisingly strict and it's not easy for civilians to get in trigger time. While she could do a 3 month IDF boot camp experience, it would take too much time away from her art studies and she's working hard to build her art portfolio. For last Father's Day, she used her air rifle to spell out an I <3 U pattern for my card. Am I proud or bragging? You bet.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

iratollah wrote:
She's currently a college freshman studying art in Israel and is trying to get some range time in, the gun ownership laws there are surprisingly strict and it's not easy for civilians to get in trigger time. While she could do a 3 month IDF boot camp experience, it would take too much time away from her art studies and she's working hard to build her art portfolio. For last Father's Day, she used her air rifle to spell out an I <3 U pattern for my card. Am I proud or bragging? You bet.
Thanks for sharing the picture! Brunetti is a beauty. Proud and bragging? You should be. :thumbs2:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Nice pictures and videos. I'm trying to raise mine right too. :coolgleamA:

Thread with more pictures

Ryan

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

T.
That was awesome! The smile on her face at the end was priceless!

I've got a 15 month old girl and another girl on the way, so I cannot wait for the opportunity to take them out! :thumbs2:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “Off-Topic”