Rumor about Utah CCW no longer being honored in Texas

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dewayneward
Posts in topic: 3

Rumor about Utah CCW no longer being honored in Texas

Post by dewayneward »

****RUMOR ALERT****

I was talking to a friend of mine about CHL's (he is interested in getting one) and he mentioned that he had spoke with his instructor about just getting a Utah CCW instead of a Texas CHL and was told that Texas is getting ready to pass a law where they will only honor the Texas CHL license. He also said that the reason for this was cost and that Utah CHL holders will be mailed a letter advising them of this.

I do not know anything about this, but I doubt my friend was making the entire thing up, so he at least heard it from the instructor (I dont know the instructors name, but will ask). This could be total rumor, or there could be something to it. Figured I would throw it out there and let y'all gnaw on it ;-)
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rumor about Utah CCW no longer being honored in Texas

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

What's up with rumors starting in gun shops or from CHL instructors? There is more misinformation concerning firearms out there than any other subject. It seems like half the people I talk to are clueless about the law and repeat grossly bad information.

In agriculture, the law is very well known and understood. I have never once come across any misinformation or misunderstanding of the law and what it says, pertaining to ag.
</rant>
dewayneward wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine about CHL's (he is interested in getting one) and he mentioned that he had spoke with his instructor about just getting a Utah CCW instead of a Texas CHL and was told that Texas is getting ready to pass a law where they will only honor the Texas CHL license. He also said that the reason for this was cost and that Utah CHL holders will be mailed a letter advising them of this.
Well, considering that the Texas legislature only meets once every 2 years, and they just had their last session, I can't see how they are "getting ready to pass a law"...
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Sounds like the CHL Instructor wanted some business and didnt do the Utah Courses, so he tried to "Scare" your friend into getting his course.
Just like they "Scared" everyone into buying Semi-Auto Rifles and Ammo.
I think the Gun Companies just hire stooges to wonder around and spread half truths to Garner support and Raise up sales. Now how do I get one of those jobs?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Trinitite

Post by Trinitite »

If we're going to stop honoring some states, we should start with the unilateral ones like NY where they don't honor TX.

Even better, stop honoring the ability of cops from those states to carry in Texas if they won't let TX CHL carry in theirs. That would be poetic justice.

Topic author
dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

From the conversation that I had with him, this instructor DID do both Utah and Texas, that is the part that is "befuddling", the instructor had NO reason to say this. That is the part that is a little concerning.

For now, its an unfounded rumor. If there are any folks going for the CHL this weekend (or is an instructor), please ask to confirm/deny the rumor.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

This may have started because many states are now backing away from honoring other states non-resident licenses (i.e. a Texas resident carrying on a Florida or Utah license. Colorado, Florida, South Carolina and a couple of other states don't honor non-resident permits, even though some issue them (like Florida). Texas could potentially go that route in the future, but I am unaware of any official move toward dropping non-resident license reciprocity.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joe817

Post by joe817 »

In the scenario KeithB just posted: would it be the Texas AG to simply make the ruling(opinion) on what states are honored, and not the Legislature that makes that determination? I honestly don't know.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

My google fu showed that nevada did it last year. My friend hasnt responded with the guys name. I did read that the Utah "DPS" had been slammed with CCW requests and it is apparently THE CCW to get based on the light restrictions. They interviewed some folks from MO and was told the reason is that it gave them more states, was cheaper, and easier to get.

Again, just rumor at this point, but if anyone is getting their UTAH CCW as their primary, it may be worth asking. I am going to nose around the DPS site and see if there is anything on there about it.
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Anotehr thought is Utah might stop issuing non-resident permits if they have more than they can say grace over from resident requests.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We have no knowledge of current plans to change Texas law such that a Texas resident would not be able to carry on another state's license. There is at least one Texas based Utah instructor advertising to get a Utah license instead of a Texas CHL "because it's cheaper, there's no shooting, and there's no test." This advertisement has been very poorly received by two Texas House Members, but whether or not they will file a bill to change Texas law is unknown. Whether or not it would pass is also unknown.

Chas.

Return to “Off-Topic”