Poll: "A LEO" or "An LEO"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Is is "A LEO" or "An LEO"?

A LEO
79%
An LEO
21%

Total votes: 62

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Poll: "A LEO" or "An LEO"

Post by OldSchool »

jgedmond wrote: There's nothing magic about acronyms. The general rule is to use the article just as you would in any other situation considering the initial letter of the acronym as it is commonly spoken, therefore, a "LASER", but an "FFL".
Acronyms should be used as if you were writing or speaking the phrase for which it is substituted. Using your example, you would not say "a Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation". Laser has been redefined to substitute for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation device". That's the kind of trap you get into when using acronyms, especially the compound ones.

So, it's best, when writing or speaking, to know you're only trying to save time and effort, and to use the acronym as you would the phrase itself. I suspect the Internet has made people try to take acronyms to another level, just as trying to establish changed spellings of such words as "though" ("tho"). Doesn't cut it for formal (read: "doesn't require interpretation") communication.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

By definition, an acronym IS a word. Unless you use it as a word, it is not an acronym. Unless you say LEO (like mentioned before, "Leo the Lion.") it is not an acronym. LASER, RADAR, WAC, OPEC, LORAN, etc. are acronyms, as they are used as words. UCLA, USC TAMU, OU, FFL, IANAL, IMHO, etc. are not acronyms, they are abbreviations.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

G26ster wrote:By definition, an acronym IS a word. Unless you use it as a word, it is not an acronym. Unless you say LEO (like mentioned before, "Leo the Lion.") it is not an acronym. LASER, RADAR, WAC, OPEC, LORAN, etc. are acronyms, as they are used as words. UCLA, USC TAMU, OU, FFL, IANAL, IMHO, etc. are not acronyms, they are abbreviations.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that definition. An acronym is truly an abbreviation, since it is specifically generated through a (strategic) compilation of the first or significant letters of words in a phrase. Thus, it is not a word! I just showed this with "LASER", which is a word born from a phrase, but requires other words to be meaningful, unless a new word is generated from it ("laser") which gives it meaning. GN&C, LIDAR, MMU, etc., are acronyms, not words.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

OldSchool wrote:
G26ster wrote:By definition, an acronym IS a word. Unless you use it as a word, it is not an acronym. Unless you say LEO (like mentioned before, "Leo the Lion.") it is not an acronym. LASER, RADAR, WAC, OPEC, LORAN, etc. are acronyms, as they are used as words. UCLA, USC TAMU, OU, FFL, IANAL, IMHO, etc. are not acronyms, they are abbreviations.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that definition. An acronym is truly an abbreviation, since it is specifically generated through a (strategic) compilation of the first or significant letters of words in a phrase. Thus, it is not a word! I just showed this with "LASER", which is a word born from a phrase, but requires other words to be meaningful, unless a new word is generated from it ("laser") which gives it meaning. GN&C, LIDAR, MMU, etc., are acronyms, not words.
You'll have to tell the folks at Dictionary.com they are wrong.

ac·ro·nym
   /ˈækrənɪm/ Show Spelled[ak-ruh-nim] Show IPA
–noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

—Can be confused: abbreviation, acronym.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

I can do that too:

^ Merriam-Webster, Inc. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, 1994. ISBN 0-877-79132-5. pp. 21–2:

acronyms A number of commentators (as Copperud 1970, Janis 1984, Howard 1984) believe that acronyms can be differentiated from other abbreviations in being pronounceable as words. Dictionaries, however, do not make this distinction because writers in general do not.

Just being pronounced as a word does not make it a word.

If we're down to dueling Internet sources, I think we're done! ;-)
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!

seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seniorshooteress »

Either way; A or AN, took me a while to figure out what LEO was no matter what was in front of it. "rlol" I am not keen on abbreviations and half the ones written on this forum I have no clue as to what people are talking about. Need a sticky giving defs of all abbrev's.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

"A" before words that start with a constant. "An" before words that start with a vowel.

"A Law..."

"A LEO" (pronounced as Leo the lion)

However, if your pronouncing it "EL" "E" "O", then it would be "An EL-E-O". But who does? :nono:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

TLE2 wrote:
However, if your pronouncing it "EL" "E" "O", then it would be "An EL-E-O". But who does? :nono:
I do.
Psalm 91:2

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

an Electric Light Orchestra?