Health question....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Health question....

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've noticed something curious. My hair started turning salt & pepper by the time I was in my late 20s/early 30s. I'm 58 years old now, and my hair and beard have been snow white for at least the last 15 years. But a couple of days ago, I noticed that I had several black hairs in my beard which I had not previously noticed. I'm starting to grow black hairs on my head again too. This morning, I was absentmindedly tugging on a cluster of whiskers (I wear a goatee beard) while reading something, and I came away with a curious hair in my hand. It is probably just under an inch long, and the half of it from the root up is black, and the other, older half out to the tip is snow white. In other words, for some reason, my hair color is starting to come back. My natural hair color (before I became Santa) was a dark dark brown to black. That is the color of the hairs that are growing in. And on closer inspection after seeing this one hair, a number of the darker hairs in my beard are like that—white in the older part, and dark in the newer part.

The only thing of significance that has changed in my life is the addition of regular workouts, starting about 6 weeks ago or so. I now go to the gym every other day. I'm still very much overweight, in fact I haven't really lost any weight, but my shape appears to be changing as my pants fit looser, and so do some of my shirts. But other than the exercise, I do try to eat healthy, and I take regular supplement tablets and drink protein shakes (my wife is an Herbalife distributor), but those things have been going on for almost 2 years now, and my obesity has been due partially to lack of activity, and partially to a long-term thyroid condition and I've been actually eating healthy for many years now, so the exercise is the only thing that has really changed in my life.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone know of anything that will cause white hair to begin regaining it's old color? I'm not worried or anything, just really really curious.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Health question....

Post by BobCat »

In 2005 I picked up an all-black feral cat at work. She was real sick with earmites and too dizzy to run away.

In her new environment she turned salt-and-pepper - lots of white in the black. I thought all the white in her coat was from stress. Over time she went back to totally matte black (her name is Tactical) - I thought because she adapted, and lowered her stress.

Maybe the exercise is getting rid of some kind of stress chemicals in your system?

BTW someone told me to exercise 1st thing in the morning, before eating. Supposed to get your metabolism going after whatever sugar there is, and start on breaking down fat. It works for me. Note I'm not a healthcare person or bodybuilder, just an engineer, and this is anecdotal.

Hang in there.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

Perhaps your wife is punking you with a little judicious use of "Just for Men" while you're sleeping?? :lol::
Last edited by sjfcontrol on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I don't know, but I want some of whatever it is you are drinking over there.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

sjfcontrol wrote:Perhaps your wife is punking you with a little judicious use of "Just for Men" while you're sleeping?? :lol::
:smilelol5:

TAM, do you have an elixr for a receding hairline?
Psalm 91:2

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Maybe you're less Annoyed lately? :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Pawpaw wrote:Maybe you're less Annoyed lately? :lol:
I like it! "The Less Annoyed Man"!
Never Forget. Image

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Did you ever see the movie "The Final Countdown" ?

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sjfcontrol wrote:Perhaps your wife is punking you with a little judicious use of "Just for Men" while you're sleeping?? :lol::
Hair by hair? :smilelol5: 'Cause that's what's happening. It's not that my entire beard is changing color all at once, but rather that a few of the hairs have changed color, and new ones are growing in darker.....but not all of them. Same thing on my scalp.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

TAM,

Thyroid disorders can cause some really crazy signs and symptoms. One that is possible is hair color depletion. Perhaps your exercise regime has boosted your metabolism and you are utilizing your thyroid med better. They say exercise can add years to your life.... maybe you are reversing the aging process. BTW - Kudos for getting up and moving, remember muscle weighs more than adipose, so look at inches not pounds to measure your progress!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Hair by hair? :smilelol5: 'Cause that's what's happening. It's not that my entire beard is changing color all at once, but rather that a few of the hairs have changed color, and new ones are growing in darker.....but not all of them. Same thing on my scalp.
That's why its 'judicious' use of JFM. Also what makes it a good punk! :rolll

She'll get you entirely back to black, then start dying them one at a time back to gray! "rlol"
Never Forget. Image

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

does anyone know of anything that will cause white hair to begin regaining it's old color?
You're entering your "second childhood" maybe. :mrgreen:
I had that too, usually after stroking my beard while changing the oil in my car, a shower fixed it.
:evil2:

I just got a "burr haircut for the first time in 50 years, noticed I had "patches" like spots on a dfog, so I went back and got shaved ... now It's cooler, but I have discolorations on my scalp like mole colored liver spots .... I"m guessing we all just change with age.

Melatonin is what causes skin coloration I think and hair too ... Dr. Oz had a show on it, where the pot of melatonin by the hair follicle runs dry .... I didn't watch it much, my Sister-in law watches it.

After chemo, sometimes hair grows thicker and darker when it used to be grey .... perhaps you are just regenerating, diet/exercise change.
Last edited by RPB on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

raptor

Post by raptor »

Maybe the exercise increased your testosterone level.
The Raptor
is coming
May 21st

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The only thing of significance that has changed in my life is the addition of regular workouts, starting about 6 weeks ago or so. I now go to the gym every other day. I'm still very much overweight, in fact I haven't really lost any weight, but my shape appears to be changing as my pants fit looser, and so do some of my shirts.
You might burning fat mass and gaining muscle mass at roughly the same rate. And muscle is denser than fat, so that would explain the clothes fitting looser as well.

No clue on the hair color thingy.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Earmites! ;-) :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “Off-Topic”