Utah taking Federal lands? -USACE?- interesting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Utah taking Federal lands? -USACE?- interesting

Post by RPB »

This could get interesting, Utah set to "receive ownership" all Federal lands in that State.

Range war ahead? Utah legislator proposing bill to receive ownership of federal lands within state
http://news.hjnews.com/news/article_a0c ... 3ce6c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:15 am
Ivory is proposing the state exert rights that Ivory says are rooted in the Utah Enabling Act, which led to Utah's statehood in 1896.

That act, Ivory said, establishes that the federal government acts as a "trustee" of the land. He said in 1976, the Federal Land Policy and Management Act directly contradicted the provisions of the Utah Enabling Act.

Ivory's legislation will call for the federal government to dispose of all public lands in the state, except for American Indian lands, which are reserved in the act. The bill establishes a deadline of Dec. 31, 2014, for the federal government to do so. There is also a deadline of Oct. 31, 2012, for Congress to "confirm its intent to begin the process" of disposing the public land to the state.

A Utah Public Lands Commission would be created to manage the multiple use of the public land.

"So what we do is we say, ‘You dispose of the land to the state to a public lands commission, and then Utahns will sort out all those interests for Utahns.' We'll decide how to best manage all that multiple use - access, open space, hunting, fishing, grazing, mining, timber, to the extent that in a public process we decide there are some lands, if any, that can be privately sold,.....

More at link above
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

C-dub

Re: Utah taking Federal lands? -USACE?- interesting

Post by C-dub »

This will get interesting, especially for those things that involve interstate commerce.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Re: Utah taking Federal lands? -USACE?- interesting

Post by RoyGBiv »

I wish them luck...
I predict the effort will either run out of runway (SCOTUS) or run out of steam before it reaches success.
But... I do wish them luck.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”