What kind of siding is this?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

What kind of siding is this?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Our garage has brick on the front, but two sides and the back are some kind of siding. The sprinkler system has damaged the lower portion of some of it and I need to replace it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is. It looks like 3 1/2" planks, but it's not.

Each section is 11" tall with what appears to be thee 3 1/2" "planks." It also isn't wood; it's some type of fiber. If I was going to replace everything, I'd use Hardi Plank, but only a small portion is damaged. Photos are below. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks,
Chas.
Attachments
IMG_4523.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG

Birdshot70
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What kind of siding is this?

Post by Birdshot70 »

I have known this as a 'press-board siding' that is basically a paper/wood composite that is manufactured with a wood 'grain' to look like real wood. You can also find it called 'Masonite' but there are varieties out there that have a cement added in the mix....sort of like the 'hardy-shake' shingles.

Hope this helps...
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

FL450

Post by FL450 »

It could be MFD or multi density fiber board which is standard contractor grade material. It needs to be cut with a fine tooth saw blade 60 to 80 tooth and edges sealed or hung so edges dont sit in moisture.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

It is definitely a wood-textured fiber composite siding. Looking at the style, it appears to be Dutch Lap Triple 3" (or triple 3 1/2"), but not sure of the brand. I see lots of triple 4", but I will keep digging. I will also check with my Father-In-Law and see if he knows a company that makes that; he has been in the building business for almost 60 years.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

On further review, take another look and make sure it is three on one sheet. The Certainteed Dutchlap Double 4 has a 7" exposure, which would look like 2-3.5" boards.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Keith B wrote:On further review, take another look and make sure it is three on one sheet. The Certainteed Dutchlap Double 4 has a 7" exposure, which would look like 2-3.5" boards.
I checked and it's three on a sheet. I'm worried because I can't find anything using "Dutch Lap Triple 3."

Chas.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

It's not Hardi/Hardy-plank?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I don't find any manufacturer that lists anything with those dimensions. I will keep looking. Not sure how old your home is, but maybe the builder do the home, maybe they have info on what brand it is. The other option is depending on the damage, you might be able to form Bondo into the place and 'mold' it into the proper shape and texture.
Keith

donniet

Post by donniet »

Charles, my best guess, it's an older product version from the linked manufacturer. I would start with one of the larger lumber yard chains in the Houston area and ask for their help.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/fib ... ing/siding#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit to add: used to see that pattern in a pattern of 2 planks, however I don't recall every seeing the 3 plank.
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Our home is 19 years old and it doesn't look good for finding the exact siding. I really don't want to replace all of the siding since only about 100 linear feet is bad.

Chas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

If just the bottom is damaged you might consider removing damaged course and rip cutting the damage section and get a custom mill to make a single replacement plank of rough cedar or similar grained lumber. There may be another product like Hardi or Certainteed that have a molded grain you could cut to fit also. A good carpenter may be able to rip cut the damaged section in place and replace a single plank. Since the siding is installed bottom course first you're going to have to pry the second course up to remove and replace the entire bottom course if you do find the original stock. Good luck.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

puma guy wrote:If just the bottom is damaged you might consider removing damaged course and rip cutting the damage section and get a custom mill to make a single replacement plank of rough cedar or similar grained lumber. There may be another product like Hardi or Certainteed that have a molded grain you could cut to fit also. A good carpenter may be able to rip cut the damaged section in place and replace a single plank. Since the siding is installed bottom course first you're going to have to pry the second course up to remove and replace the entire bottom course if you do find the original stock. Good luck.
I think there's a Hardiplank size that will work for precisely what you suggest.

Thanks,
Chas.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Our home is 19 years old and it doesn't look good for finding the exact siding. I really don't want to replace all of the siding since only about 100 linear feet is bad.

Chas.

Chas...if you can pop the nails/fasteners on a piece enough to look at the back of it...there will be markings (required) that will tell you who the manufacturer was/is and probably the designated "style".

From there...its a simple matter of using your Google-Fu to locate some (if still available).

Be sure and get accurate measurements, 11" siding would be an odd size (12" being more common) and that type of siding is called "triple lap".
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Good thought Flint. I am almost gonna take a bet on it being Certanteed. I built a house back in 1990 and used a heavy pro-grade vinyl on part of it and it was a 3" lap. Certainteed was the only company that made that it in that small a width; all of the others were a 4".
Keith

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flintknapper wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Our home is 19 years old and it doesn't look good for finding the exact siding. I really don't want to replace all of the siding since only about 100 linear feet is bad.

Chas.

Chas...if you can pop the nails/fasteners on a piece enough to look at the back of it...there will be markings (required) that will tell you who the manufacturer was/is and probably the designated "style".

From there...its a simple matter of using your Google-Fu to locate some (if still available).

Be sure and get accurate measurements, 11" siding would be an odd size (12" being more common) and that type of siding is called "triple lap".
I'll pull a section tomorrow. I suspect it is 12" overall with less exposed, but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks Flint.
Chas.

Return to “Off-Topic”