Feds say Vietnam veteran not a citizen

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Feds say Vietnam veteran not a citizen

Post by JJVP »

PLATTSMOUTH, Neb. - For the last 41 years, a man has been without a country even though he served in the United States military in Vietnam.
Franz Pschenica, 65, has official government documents stating he's an American, but legally he's not, because he never took the written test everyone must take to become a citizen.  It's a test he said he's already taken on the battlefield.
http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Fed ... hpt=us_bn9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:banghead:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

bizarrenormality

Re: Feds say Vietnam veteran not a citizen

Post by bizarrenormality »

JJVP wrote: :banghead:
:iagree:

He could have solved the problem at any time in the past 40 years by passing the written test like other immigrants.
He chose to be stubborn instead. :roll:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bizarrenormality wrote:
JJVP wrote: :banghead:
:iagree:

He could have solved the problem at any time in the past 40 years by passing the written test like other immigrants.
He chose to be stubborn instead. :roll:
We have a Constitution by which we all agree to live, and upon which we frame our laws. When he enlisted, he took an oath to defend it......without exception. Although I am sympathetic to his plight, I agree with bizarrenormality. He's had 40 years to rectify this, and the legal mechanisms aren't, or at least weren't then, in place to make him an automatic citizen because he served. We either a live under the rule of law or we don't. What we DO know is that when we act just because it feels good, we get the nation we labor under today. He would be far from the first person who ever found himself in this position. If we make an allowance for him, then we have to make an allowance for everyone who thinks that the U.S. owes it to them. It is tempting to say, well then, lets pass a law making military service a substitution for taking the citizenship exam. And we could do that, if we wanted to. But, military service, for all of its basic goodness, is NOT a substitute for knowing the Constitution, knowing the past presidents, knowing how our system of government works, and all of the other stuff of which the written test guarantees that newly minted citizens will have at least a cursory understanding.

My answer would be: "I honor and respect your service to the nation, and I thank you for it. Now if you'll just take this quick test, we can confer citizenship on you."
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Florida is doing the same thing with a WWII veteran and around 2,600 others that may or may not be veterans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05 ... enship-to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

C-dub wrote:Florida is doing the same thing with a WWII veteran and around 2,600 others that may or may not be veterans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05 ... enship-to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That whole thing is about as put on a deal as I have ever seen. Its rigged...they use the old veteran to show how terrible the law is...and why it should be scrapped, as if the major impact, or any serious impact, is against veterans. Give me a break...Of course, they pick an old "FDR" Democrat to be their example, too, for maximum effect. This thing is simply theater of the absurd, but they'll tug some heart strings with it ("oh, those cruel, callous, meanie Republicans, they want to keep a war hero from voting, how evil of them, we MUST throw out this law, blah blah blah")...anything to keep their voter rolls full, including folks that shouldn't be voting in the first place (and no, I'm NOT talking about that old veteran!). :roll: :mad5

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm all for not letting non-citizens vote. However, I also don't understand how a non-citizen can serve in our military or why someone that does and is either currently active or not dishonorably discharged is not automatically granted citizenship.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

C-dub wrote:I'm all for not letting non-citizens vote. However, I also don't understand how a non-citizen can serve in our military or why someone that does and is either currently active or not dishonorably discharged is not automatically granted citizenship.
When I went to USAF Basic Training many years ago, we had a guy in my training flight who was a citizen of Spain. He spoke English pretty darned well, just with a Spanish accent of course. And when we asked him about it, he said he wanted to be an American and it would get him ready to become a citizen. Not sure how it worked, I guess we figured it was automatic once he had served his term...seems strange to me, as well.

JeepGuy79
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JeepGuy79 »

If you risk your life for my freedom you deserve yours. Just my humble opinion.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I was in the Army with several green card aliens during Vietnam. Some were drafted some enlisted none expected to automatically get citizenship although all wanted it. I helped a guy from Cuba study for his citizenship test. He passed. :coolgleamA:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JeepGuy79 wrote:If you risk your life for my freedom you deserve yours. Just my humble opinion.
I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I'm saying that there is a process that must be followed. There is a reason that they make you take the classes and pass a test, and has nothing to do with one's service—service which is commendable and for which I am grateful. The reason for the class and test is to make sure that new citizens are properly educated in our form of government and the responsibilities of citizenship. That is a good thing, and it should be encouraged instead of bypassed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

I don't think they should just open the flood gates and let everyone in but if you fight to defend our rights by god I think you deserve them. When I lived in the keys cubans would float over to my beach in freaking vw's they turned into a boat or intertubes or whatever they could find. I cannot imagine 90 miles of hell in open ocean just to get the freedom we take for granted. Then when they get here Us coast guard and ICE is wading in the water to keep them from touching our precious soil. I would set up a lawn chair and cheer them on as their feet touched sand and hand out gatoraide and crackers to them when they made it.

I think if you want to be here bad enough to die for it or you risk your life for this great country we have room for you. I am glad that we don't just let everyone in but we are talking about Vets of 2 of the bloodiest wars we have had.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The reason for the class and test is to make sure that new citizens are properly educated in our form of government and the responsibilities of citizenship.
Hey, they might even start teaching that in public schools again someday. Ya never know ;-)

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

MoJo wrote:I was in the Army with several green card aliens during Vietnam. Some were drafted some enlisted none expected to automatically get citizenship although all wanted it. I helped a guy from Cuba study for his citizenship test. He passed. :coolgleamA:
How does a green card guy get drafted?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The reason for the class and test is to make sure that new citizens are properly educated in our form of government and the responsibilities of citizenship.
Hey, they might even start teaching that in public schools again someday. Ya never know ;-)
Maybe, just maybe. Nahh!!!!!
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”