Portable Recording Devices

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Portable Recording Devices

Post by WildBill »

There have been a couple of posts about forum members having recording devices for video and/or audio that could be used like a dash cam to record what happens if pulled over by an LEO. Other than cell phones does anyone have suggestions for other electronic devices?
NRA Endowment Member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Portable Recording Devices

Post by Jumping Frog »

I don't have a specific brand to recommend, but I do suggest that you make sure that it has USB connections available to it so that a recorded message can be moved to your computer.

I paid about $30 at Target, but there are fancier versions available. Some people like the voice recorder pens, it looks like you have a pen in your pocket. There are also things that look like a pen that record both video and audio.

I have my cellphone setup for speed dial to record the call and I have a voice recorder.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've always considered something like this, but am less worried about LEOs than I am most of the other yahoos driving around that might get some wild idea.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Wild Bill,

I use a GoPro Motorsports camera. Its small, runs on batteries, records sound pretty well in high winds and uses an SDHC 32 GB card.

The videos are .mp4 and play on your computer with Windows media. And at 1080p, the visual is great. Nightime sees an expected decrease in definition and clarity, but nonetheless, its pretty good.

the website is gopro.com

It comes with a connector and I have it mounted to the windscreen just behind the mirror.

Hope this helps.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

pm

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I've got a recorder next to my cupholder. I think it holds 50-75hrs and runs on 2AA batteries. $20 @ wally-mart

ETA I *think* there is a group in MASS that has set up a phone number that any open-carrier can call when stopped to record encounters with LEOs. Wonder if anyone in TX has that.
NRA Member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

RSJ wrote:I've got a recorder next to my cupholder. I think it holds 50-75hrs and runs on 2AA batteries. $20 @ wally-mart
I had one like that but it didn't have a USB connector so I got rid of it. Saving analog audio tracks through the headphone jack was a pain.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

RSJ wrote:ETA I *think* there is a group in MASS that has set up a phone number that any open-carrier can call when stopped to record encounters with LEOs. Wonder if anyone in TX has that.
Everyone in Texas can have that if they want it. It is easy and free to setup for your own account.

I have that setup as speed dial on my cell phone. When I call the number and put it on speakerphone, it will record everything said near me while the phone call is in progress and store it on the conference service server, where it is downloadable to anywhere. Again, the recording is not stored on my phone, it is stored on the server.

Here is how you do it:
  1. Go to freeconferencecalling.com and set up a free conference call line. You will need to provide an email address for your login information.
  2. You will also establish your online account with them at the same time, which allows you access the recorded calls later from their website.
  3. When you set up the account, you get 3 numbers: the dial-in line (example:555-555-5555), the conference code (example: 222222), and the host ID (example: 11111).
  4. Add that information as a cell phone contact.
  5. You have to insert a "pause" in your dialing instructions, per your cell phone (every cell phone is a little different). For example, LG shows a "P" as a 1 second delay, iPhone shows a ",", etc. -- see your phone options. I'll use a comma as an example, where each comma is a one second pause.
  6. Using the example numbers, use this type of format: 555-555-5555,,,2222222,11111,5*
  7. The ",5*" at the end pauses a second then 5* starts recording the call.
  8. After you hang up the call, you can access the recorded call using the online account you setup in step 1.
  9. Every cell phone has a means of setting a speed dial option. Set this contact up to use the feature however is convenient for you. Personally, I now use voice command. I named the contact "RECORDING", so I press the button and say "Call RECORDING". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've had a freeconferencecalling account for about 4 years now. I've never received any spam or anything negative regarding the account. I'll also use same call-in number if I want to setup a quick conference call at work. Works great!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Off-Topic”