July 1st: Amazon begins taxing purchases

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Re: July 1st: Amazon begins taxing purchases

Post by smoothoperator »

3dfxMM wrote:We are supposed to pay sales tax period. It has nothing to do with where the company we are buying from is. The companies are only obligated to collect it if they have a physical presence in Texas. All of us good citizens are supposed to voluntarily send the tax into the state for items we purchased from companies that don't collect the tax. I have never met anyone who does so.
Technically it's a use tax instead of a sales tax if you buy out of state but the amount is the same and you're right that most people cheat and don't pay.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/s ... .html#use3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas is giving people a chance to come clean this summer. http://freshstart.texas.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jumping Frog »

AEA wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Canceling my Amazon Prime membership ...
Cancelled mine long ago. Was not happy they way they kept pushing things at me and not allow me to opt out of their heavy marketing.
Seriously? I've had the same Amazon account since 1995. I've never had to deal with a bunch of spam from them.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

No SPAM, but "things you might be interested in" & such on the main page that is generated based on your past purchases.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:
AEA wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Canceling my Amazon Prime membership ...
Cancelled mine long ago. Was not happy they way they kept pushing things at me and not allow me to opt out of their heavy marketing.
Seriously? I've had the same Amazon account since 1995. I've never had to deal with a bunch of spam from them.
Yeah, I've had an Amazon account since the mid '90s too, and I've never had any problem with them either. But I am curious Jumping Frog.....why cancel the "Prime" membership, but not your complete membership? I have a "Prime" account too, so that's why I ask.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Yeah, I've had an Amazon account since the mid '90s too, and I've never had any problem with them either. But I am curious Jumping Frog.....why cancel the "Prime" membership, but not your complete membership? I have a "Prime" account too, so that's why I ask.
Well, as a rough estimation, if an average order has $6-$8 in shipping cost for a $40-$50 order, then I would need 10-13 orders per year to offset the $80 Prime membership price. That means somewhere around $400-$650 in annual business. Not sure I'll use the account that much.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

george wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:
3dfxMM wrote:We are supposed to pay sales tax period. It has nothing to do with where the company we are buying from is. The companies are only obligated to collect it if they have a physical presence in Texas. All of us good citizens are supposed to voluntarily send the tax into the state for items we purchased from companies that don't collect the tax. I have never met anyone who does so.
Technically it's a use tax instead of a sales tax if you buy out of state but the amount is the same and you're right that most people cheat and don't pay.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/s ... .html#use3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas is giving people a chance to come clean this summer. http://freshstart.texas.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I keep a list of anything I get on-line, and pay the sales tax at the end of the year on my state income tax.
What's that? :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 3dfxMM »

smoothoperator wrote:

The amnesty program looks like it is only for businesses.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

Everyone has to pay but only businesses get the amnesty. That doesn't sound fair.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I get better deals on EBay
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Cobra Medic wrote:Everyone has to pay but only businesses get the amnesty. That doesn't sound fair.
Businesses are being offered amnesty as a way to get them to pay what the state knows they owe. The state doesn't have a clue how much any one individual has purchased via the internet or mail order.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

3dfxMM wrote:
Cobra Medic wrote:Everyone has to pay but only businesses get the amnesty. That doesn't sound fair.
Businesses are being offered amnesty as a way to get them to pay what the state knows they owe. The state doesn't have a clue how much any one individual has purchased via the internet or mail order.
Most individuals have no idea, either.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Too true. :)

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

As crimes go, I guess it's not much worse than a CHL carrying in a bar or school.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Return to “Off-Topic”