Looking for a GOOD Chinese Restaurant (Metroplex)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Looking for a GOOD Chinese Restaurant (Metroplex)

Post by Heartland Patriot »

As some of you know, we moved to Texas about 2 years after being stationed in California for quite a few years at the behest of the USAF. We had a favorite Chinese restaurant just north of Sacramento that closed down a few months before we left; we were VERY saddened. And, we haven't found anything here to replace it in our "dining out rotation". So, I am going to ask you folks: if you eat Chinese food, where do you go? I'm not looking for buffets, or trendy places. We want a family-owned place with a good atmosphere. The couple we have tried, we have NOT been impressed with, they were kind of "generic", ingredients seemed low quality, etc. I'm not even sure of the style of Chinese we like; I like General Tsao's Chicken or Lemon Chicken...my wife likes Sweet and Sour Chicken and Chicken Fried Rice. Also, it would be great if the place made the fried vegetable-only rolls, as I can't eat shrimp. Its my younger daughter's 16th B-Day tomorrow and she really wants to go eat Chinese food, so I will take all good suggestions under advisement. Thank you all in advance.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Looking for a GOOD Chinese Restaurant (Metroplex)

Post by WildBill »

Heartland Patriot wrote:As some of you know, we moved to Texas about 2 years after being stationed in California for quite a few years at the behest of the USAF. We had a favorite Chinese restaurant just north of Sacramento that closed down a few months before we left; we were VERY saddened. And, we haven't found anything here to replace it in our "dining out rotation".
Sorry, I can't help, but I feel your pain. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

I've been in "pain" for 50 years since I left Noo Yawk. For all it's faults, NYC has some of the best Chinese (American Style, as most self respecting native Chinese people would eat most of it) food in the U.S. California has some of the best too, especially in the SF area. I was just about raised on Cantonese Chinese food, which seems to be the least popular in the rest of the country. Cantonese is usually your barbeque style dishes (pork and pork ribs) and your lobster sauce dishes. I believe the American public has succumbed to "buffet" food, and will eat just about anything they can pile up mountain high on their plate. I also believe that "most" of the food is delivered from the same sources to most restaurants in frozen 50lb bags, for buffet use. Also, it would be nice if a genuine Chinese chef was doing the cooking, but all too often is is not. Of course, I could be entirely off base too :mrgreen:

I know there has to be a/some great family owned mom & pop Chinese places in the Metroplex, but in my 21 years here, I have yet to find them. I anxiously await further input to this thread.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Arlington has the 1st Chinese barbecue. We like it.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

Take a look at Tokyo Cafe' on Camp Bowie (ask for Jarry) and Shinjuku Station on Magnolia (ask for Casey). Tell 'em Mike the plumber said to give them a try.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

TeXJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TeXJ »

There is a place here in Allen that just opened, great food, fresh ingredients and they deliver. But Allen may be a bit of a drive for you.
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

TeXJ wrote:There is a place here in Allen that just opened, great food, fresh ingredients and they deliver. But Allen may be a bit of a drive for you.
What's the name of the place? We drove about an hour in California, after I changed duty stations, to get to that one restaurant...

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

I have had Chinese in NYC and the Bay Area, and they are truly the best in America!

Around here, I like Uncle Thai's in Coppell.

It is run by a family that used to have a nice expensive restaurant in the Galeria, but gave it up due to high rental fees.

The restaurant does not have much in the way of atmosphere, but the food is good and hand made fresh. This is not a buffet.

It is located next to the Tom Thumb on MacArthur and Belt Line.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

I don't eat much Chinese, but if you like Thai, my favorite Thai place is Best Thai at Belt Line and Midway in Addison. It's across the street from the Sam's Club. It's appropriately named as it's the best Thai I've had in DFW. The only better Thai food I've had was in Calgary, Canada.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

I can recommend some good Vietnamese restaurants in the Riverside area.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

stroo

Post by stroo »

I like Taste of Asia in Lewisville. It is on MacArthur just south of Round Grove right across from Vista Ridge Mall.

I always liked Empress of China as well. They have two or three locations in Irving and Lewisville.

But I am not a chinese food expert. Just places I like.

mdoan300

Post by mdoan300 »

First Chinese BBQ is GTG, they have locations in Richardson, Arlington, Plano, and Carrollton.

I also like:

1- J.S. Chen in Plano, I like their crab fried rice and dim sum; and
2- Yao Fuzi in Plano
HK / FN / BCM

mdoan300

Post by mdoan300 »

Kythas wrote:I don't eat much Chinese, but if you like Thai, my favorite Thai place is Best Thai at Belt Line and Midway in Addison. It's across the street from the Sam's Club. It's appropriately named as it's the best Thai I've had in DFW. The only better Thai food I've had was in Calgary, Canada.
I believe that Best Thai is no longer a Best Thai -- they changed names. I don't know if Best Thai is a local franchise, but there's a few of them around... one at the corner of Frankford and Tollway, one in Frisco Square, and one near 121 and Preston.

If you like Thai, then check out Zenna off US75 between Park and Parker Rd (or in d/t Dallas). Good stuff.
HK / FN / BCM

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

Since we're now talking Thai food, that one near the Bass Hall in downtown Ft Worth should be good. When they were in Watauga it was wonderful food. They sold that location and opened on Hemphill @ White Settlement, then went downtown and upscale. same owners

Skip the Thai place in Watauga
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

ddstuder wrote:I have had Chinese in NYC and the Bay Area, and they are truly the best in America!
The Bay Area? I hope you're talking San Francisco Bay, not Clear Lake/Galveston Bay Area. :biggrinjester:

:iagree: NYC and the Bay Area have excellent food of all types.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”