upset female wanting to buy gun

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mikedude

upset female wanting to buy gun

Post by mikedude »

Overheard a call on an adjoining jurisdiction earlier. Upset crying female at gun store wanting to buy a gun saying she can't go home. Store called police. Never heard the outcome, but interesting none the less.

Topic author
Thomas

Re: upset female wanting to buy gun

Post by Thomas »

mikedude wrote:Overheard a call on an adjoining jurisdiction earlier. Upset crying female at gun store wanting to buy a gun saying she can't go home. Store called police. Never heard the outcome, but interesting none the less.
Well, there are no details in your post except she said that she can't go home. I'm guessing the police were called because the store asked her to leave and she didn't, thus she was trespassing.

I imagine stuff like this happens all the time. Customer isn't happy with store, store asks the customer to leave, customer doesn't leave, customer is trespassing, store calls the police on the trespasser. This store just happens to be a gun store.
Last edited by Thomas on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Thomas wrote:Well, there are no details in your post except she said that she can't go home. I'm guessing the police were called because the store asked her to leave and she didn't, thus she was trespassing.

I imagine stuff like this happens all the time. Customer isn't happy with store, store asks the customer to leave, customer doesn't leave, customer is trespassing, store calls the police on the trespasser. This store just happens to be a gun store.
No, they didn't want to sale her a gun in her condition, so they called LE to check her welfare.

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mikedude wrote:
Thomas wrote:Well, there are no details in your post except she said that she can't go home. I'm guessing the police were called because the store asked her to leave and she didn't, thus she was trespassing.

No, they didn't want to sale her a gun in her condition, so they called LE to check her welfare.
Ah, see those are important details for the initial post. I hope you don't leave stuff like that out of your reports :mrgreen:

Good job from the store.

Topic author
mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Thomas wrote:
mikedude wrote:

Ah, see those are important details for the initial post. I hope you don't leave stuff like that out of your reports :mrgreen:

Good job from the store.
Upset crying female at gun store wanting to buy a gun saying she can't go home.

That is LE jargon and what was put out to the officers.We all knew what it meant along with everybody else that was working. Please start watching COPS to familiarize yourself.

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mikedude wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mikedude wrote:

Good job from the store.

That is LE jargon and what was put out to the officers.We all knew what it meant along with everybody else that was working. Please start watching COPS to familiarize yourself.
I was taught by former police officers that reports need to be detailed and free of slang/colloquialisms/jargon so when they are reviewed later by non-LEOs or the courts, everyone knows exactly what happened.

I thought COPS was categorized as an entertainment show, not an educational show.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

mikedude wrote:

:headscratch :headscratch :headscratch That was my takeaway from your post as well...
I guess someone could infer the other way as well....Personal bias and preconceived notions... they sure color what we read ..... :smilelol5:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

E.Marquez wrote:
mikedude wrote:

:headscratch :headscratch :headscratch That was my takeaway from your post as well...
I guess someone could infer the other way as well....Personal bias and preconceived notions... they sure color what we read ..... :smilelol5:
Okay, I took "can't go home" as in "can't leave the store". The story makes more sense now. She was being abused at home.

Topic author
mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Thomas wrote:
mikedude wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mikedude wrote:

Good job from the store.

I was taught by former police officers that reports need to be detailed and free of slang/colloquialisms/jargon so when they are reviewed later by non-LEOs or the courts, everyone knows exactly what happened.

I thought COPS was categorized as an entertainment show, not an educational show.
Last I checked, this wasn't a police report, but a simple internet post that stated the nature of the call. It wasn't meant to start a debate on police report writing.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

Not everyone on this forum is an LEO (or a fan of the show COPS, apparently).
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mikedude wrote: Upset crying female at gun store wanting to buy a gun saying she can't go home.

I don't see any LE jargon here, just a poorly phrased sentence that can easily be misinterpreted. I spent time as a LEO as well, and while I understood what was meant, this is not LE jargon.

A better radio call would have been 'Female is wanting to buy a gun at XYZ store. Subject is upset and crying and states she is afraid to go home. Store is requesting an officer.' Poorly phrased radio traffic is an easy way to have an officer misinterpret the call and respond in an inappropriate manner to the situation.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

mikedude wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mikedude wrote:

Good job from the store.

I had no issue understanding the situation as you stated it. A woman was trying to buy a gun, was crying, and was afraid to return home. Probably an abusive husband/boyfriend waiting for her to get home to continue the abuse, hence her need for a gun to protect herself. Might have tried calling the police rather than buying a gun, but maybe she had already tried that without success and decided to take matters in her own hands.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Topic author
mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Keith B wrote:
mikedude wrote: Upset crying female at gun store wanting to buy a gun saying she can't go home.

I don't see any LE jargon here, just a poorly phrased sentence that can easily be misinterpreted. I spent time as a LEO as well, and while I understood what was meant, this is not LE jargon.

A better radio call would have been 'Female at gun store is upset and crying and states she is afraid to go home.' Poorly phrased radio traffic is an easy way to have an officer misinterpret the call and respond in an inappropriate manner to the situation.
This is ridiculous. Please delete me from this forum.

sodchemist
Banned

Post by sodchemist »

I will, if I may, end this thread with a good note, literally. Have you ever read the actual lyrics to the COPS theme song. I would sing this song to myself when I was a kid, and I always thought the chorus went: "Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when the sherriff come jumpin for you." The actual lyrics are: "Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when sheriff john brown come for you." The lyrics also use the rastafarian slang "idren" (which means "children") in a later chours, i.e., "Not even you idren no give you no break".

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

mikedude wrote: This is ridiculous. Please delete me from this forum.
Really?
Well that’s a call for an ADMIn or Chas... but it's a bit dramatic and an overreaction to some who have an opinion different then yours.
Stick around.... an opinion, based on life is always a good thing, even when wrong or unpopular :smilelol5:

I would have PM’ed you…. But you changed your profile contact permissions after your PM to me. :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Off-Topic”