If someone is going to join the military what branch and why

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
x007x
Posts in topic: 18

If someone is going to join the military what branch and why

Post by x007x »

Hello, I've been thinking a lot and still pondering about joining, but not sure which branch. Of corse they all go different directions. So I was wanting to hear other peoples perspective on their choice.

The career I want is probably not a good choice to go into right now, but what about another 4 years or so from now. I want a career involving firearms. I want to own my own gun store and range, and to be a gunsmith too. I am a gun euthensist and always wanting to work on them, shoot them, and own them.

I am a tech person too, i have a good grasp on the technology and able to understand it pretty well.

Would being in the military be able to give me a better edge on this career, and more knowledge on the firearm aspect?
Would there be a better chance and experience for running a company with military background?

All answers are welcomed, and advice, tips, and etc.. Are appreciated.
Thanks.
-CHL-
-NRA-

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: If someone is going to join the military what branch and

Post by gigag04 »

Army. Dad was an old 10th grouper.

Army has the best schools.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

1st great for you wanting to serve :patriot:
2nd
get your college degree prior to entering
then go as an officer and be a helicopter flyer in the navy or air force
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

powerboatr wrote:1st great for you wanting to serve :patriot:
2nd
I do want to serve. Also, I am in college and working on my general studies degree so that would help me start off too.
-CHL-
-NRA-

SF18C
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SF18C »

gigag04 wrote:Army. Dad was an old 10th grouper.

Army has the best schools.

Your Daddy was a smart man! I was in 10th Group as well!
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

2nd
Don't like Army aviators? :biggrinjester:

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Thank you for wanting to serve. I had the same question some 20 years ago and ended up in the AF as my background was aviation. I had the best opportunity for training and skills in the AF. As strange as it sounds, I would talk with a a recruiter for each branch and see what they have to offer. When I was researching, they had a "test" of about 100 questions and that helped the recruiters see where I was a right fit.

Good luck!!
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

All the branches need armorers, but I would think you'd get the most experience with the Marines or Army, since those branches do the vast majority of the ground pounding. The Navy and the Air Force aren't going to give you a ton of experience with small arms like the other two would.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

SF18C

Post by SF18C »

To the OP

This will be a little shout out to my Brothers-n-Arms, Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (18B).

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/18b.php

If your long-range goal is a career in weapons and guns, those guys get taught a lot about every type of “gun system” ever made! Plus as SF there is experience in tactics and technics.

Now to be honest...it aint easy but it’s not supposed to be!
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

AEA

Post by AEA »

2nd
:iagree: :patriot:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

Going into the military was one of the best decisions I ever made. Not for the trade I learned but for the maturity and discipline I gained. I don't have direct knowledge of your interest but....Semper Fi, and our company armorer really knew his stuff.

Topic author
x007x

Post by x007x »

My schooling has not been the best. I was not a good grade student, and I'm coming to an end with schooling. I am 24 about to be 25 in couple months and I still don't have anything to go with. I've always had a priority problems, but I mean, it's me. No one else is to blame. I should of had a degree by now, but I was never taking the general degree classes and only taking classes for the major. I feel the military will be a good life changer. Also, if I do go and I am able to open a business; ill find some good buddies out there that will make a good team partner.
-CHL-
-NRA-

howdy

Post by howdy »

Start this off by saying I was in the Marines, so I am a little biased. That being said....are you married. The Marines and Navy have very few overseas assignments that allow the spouse to go along. The Air Force is a gentlemans service...good bases, good barracks/housing, etc. The Marines have nice tents and the Navy has big grey boats. The Army has most of the money and great equipment. The Marines have the tradition. Lots of men join the service to be Army Special Forces, Navy Seals, Marine Recon, or Air Force Para Recue. Very, very few get accepted for those schools and even fewer finish those courses. All that said, look at the Coast Guard. They have great base locations, great bases, and they are always performing a mission, not just training for one. They are very involved with Federal Law Enforcement, so that might give you an "in" with them.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

x007x wrote:My schooling has not been the best. I was not a good grade student, and I'm coming to an end with schooling. I am 24 about to be 25 in couple months and I still don't have anything to go with. I've always had a priority problems, but I mean, it's me. No one else is to blame. I should of had a degree by now, but I was never taking the general degree classes and only taking classes for the major. I feel the military will be a good life changer. Also, if I do go and I am able to open a business; ill find some good buddies out there that will make a good team partner.
Have you taken the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test? That might be a good place to start, to see what areas you are strong in and what areas you are weak in...for instance, I was strong in mechanical and electronics areas and weak in administrative...I ended up being an aircraft electrician and mechanic in the USAF. Also, I agree with the person who said go talk to ALL of the recruiters...I also agree that the Army and Marines are likely going to put you more into contact with firearms, but that might not get you armorer training. Talk to the Navy and USAF and see what they have open for that sort of job...you won't know until you ask. BTW, I served with some folks that said they weren't all that great in school, but they did well in the USAF anyway. A clean background and the right attitude is much more important than straight As in school, IMHO. Good luck with whatever career choice you make.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

First of all good for you for being willing to serve and welcome, when you get there, to the brotherhood of veterans who have done so.

Military training doesn't hurt anybody. For all the bluff and bluster and saluting and cleaning and formality, what they are really trying to do is get you used to team work and attention to detail under pressure. Not bad skills to master!

If you are really really into it with firearms, I'd say join the Marines and shoot (pardon me!) for being an armorer. That seems to be gun smithing on steroids. The nice thing about being a Marine is that once a Marine, always a Marine, so you never have to re-enlist!

I was a Navy man myself, first as a radio operator in the reserves while in high school and college, then as an officer, although I didn't get to do much real Navy stuff. I got orders to shore duty in Coronado, CA in the middle of the VN war! Most of my experience was buying drinks for nurses. Still, I got VA benefits, the thanks of a grateful nation and eligibility for USAA! You will always remember the things you did, the buddies, the tough things, the stupid things that happen to you in the service. It can be very intense!

I enlisted 50 years ago this summer, and things have changed. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would lay eyes on a gorgeous chief petty officer, or be hugged by a Commander (O-5), and both have happened. I saw the chief in the grocery store here a few weeks ago, quite a looker! My daughter in law is the Commander.

Every service has its advantages and disadvantages. Whichever you pick, you can be proud and serve with enthusiasm.

Good luck!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “Off-Topic”