Backyard smokers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JeffT72
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Backyard smokers

Post by JeffT72 »

I have never tried that style of cooking chickens before. I usually do beer butt chicken. The spatchcocl method looks to take considerably less time to cook. Definitely another method I need to try.

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by knotquiteawake »

Regarding "Beer Can Chicken"

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... icken.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The real test of a good chef is a perfectly roasted chicken." Julia Child

Think about this: You've never seen a fine dining restaurant serve Beer Can Chicken, have you? That's because real chefs know it is not the best way to roast a chicken.

Yes, I know Beer Can Chicken tastes wonderful. Yes, I know your neighbors and family think your Beer Can Chicken is fabulous. It is fabulous. What's not to love about roast chicken? Yes, I know there are millions of devotees.

Yes, I know there are two books on to the subject, a blog, and scores of gadgets to assist the process. Yes, with the fowl perched comically on its legs seemingly guzzling brew through its posterior, Beer Can Chicken is a showstopper. The two beauties here were cooked by Steve Navarre, a loyal reader, good cook, and fine photographer. One is on a can and another on a fancy can holder.

But Beer Butt Bird remains a gimmick and a waste of good beer. In the words of Sterling Ball of BigPoppaSmokers.com"I think Beer Can Chicken is a religion. We need a little separation of faith and science here."

To prove it you have to taste a Beer Can Chicken side by side with one of the better methods I recommend later in this article. If you are unwilling to do that, then please don't tell me how stoopid I am in the comments below. Unless you do a blind taste test, gallus a gallus, you cannot pronounce one method superior. But you can do a pretasting in your head if you just think about the logic laid out for you below. First I'll explain why BCC doesn't work, and then the AmazingRibs.com science advisor, Dr. Greg Blonder, will show you experimental data that proves it doesn't work.

Lots more data on that site about the "beer can chicken" myth.

Also, TONS of great BBQ info.

CainA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CainA »

I've started brining my birds and that really does help them stay juicy(white meat). I use a 5-gallon bucket and I find a large rock that I put into a zip lock bag and then stick it in the birds cavity to keep it from floating. Works well.

JeffT72
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JeffT72 »

Awesome. Thanks for the education on the BCC. I look forward to a better way to cook my next chicken.

CainA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CainA »

Check your local HEB ad this week. My local one has Boston Butts(pork shoulder) for $1.47# and Baby Back ribs for $1.97#...fire it up!!! YMMV

danpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by danpaw »

Yeah, I can't smoke in the house either.

Return to “Off-Topic”