My Friend Quit Her Job

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasGal
Posts in topic: 5

My Friend Quit Her Job

Post by TexasGal »

I have a dear friend who lives in Oklahoma. Times are hard for her. She is alone and has had difficulty finding a job that offers enough hours to pay her minimum bills. She is a vet assistant and finally got a job with a 29 year old veterinarian and was getting enough hours. He had recently purchased the practice. Everything seemed OK except she was uncomfortable with some things.

1. He keeps several guns in his office unsecured including an AR.
2. He fails to keep the drug box that contains scheduled narcotics and other drugs locked.
3. The back door nearby is usually unlocked and his friends come and go at will.
4. He routinely breaks out the alcohol and moonshine as soon as closing time comes.
5. His buds come in and they all drink and get buzzed while handling the guns.
6. And the final straw came at the end of last week when she realized the red dot running up and down her arm was the laser on his glock.

When she objected, he and his buddies laughed. She discussed her concerns with him and thought he realized there was a problem, but then he immediately got out the AR and began handling it. After much thought over the weekend and talking to a law enforcement friend, she decided the place is a powder keg of irresponsibility with unsecured drugs and guns, unsafe gun handling habits coupled with alcohol use and she resigned her job.

My friend owns guns and is not afraid of them, but realizing her boss has no restraint from pointing a gun directly at people just to play with the laser was unnerving. She knows he keeps at least one of them loaded at all times. She also felt his habit of an open door, unsecured narcotics, and unsecured guns was just asking for trouble.

I was unhappy to hear this story. She is a good employee and needed that job, but I had to agree with her that it was an unsafe environment. Her law enforcement friend wants her to file a police report, but she is uncertain if she wants to do that. Her former employer is willing to give her a letter of reference and not contest unemployment while she looks for another job. But she does worry if something bad happens there, she will regret not taking more action and filing the report. Two other women who work there are not happy with the situation either. They did not like it one day when he was using the same handgun to play the laser on the windows across the room over their heads where they were working.

This guy either has never had formal gun safety training, or he simply does not think it applies to him. She still does not know if the gun was loaded at the time.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Friend Quit Her Job

Post by jmra »

Think I would have shot a few videos before I left.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

jmra wrote:Think I would have shot a few videos before I left.
:iagree: And it's not too late for an anonymous report to the local PD due to the potential public safety risk posed, at the least, to his customers.

:txflag:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

TexasGal wrote:I have a dear friend who lives in Oklahoma. Times are hard for her. She is alone and has had difficulty finding a job that offers enough hours to pay her minimum bills. She is a vet assistant and finally got a job with a 29 year old veterinarian and was getting enough hours. He had recently purchased the practice. Everything seemed OK except she was uncomfortable with some things.

1. He keeps several guns in his office unsecured including an AR.
2. He fails to keep the drug box that contains scheduled narcotics and other drugs locked.
3. The back door nearby is usually unlocked and his friends come and go at will.
4. He routinely breaks out the alcohol and moonshine as soon as closing time comes.
5. His buds come in and they all drink and get buzzed while handling the guns.
6. And the final straw came at the end of last week when she realized the red dot running up and down her arm was the laser on his glock.

When she objected, he and his buddies laughed. She discussed her concerns with him and thought he realized there was a problem, but then he immediately got out the AR and began handling it. After much thought over the weekend and talking to a law enforcement friend, she decided the place is a powder keg of irresponsibility with unsecured drugs and guns, unsafe gun handling habits coupled with alcohol use and she resigned her job.

My friend owns guns and is not afraid of them, but realizing her boss has no restraint from pointing a gun directly at people just to play with the laser was unnerving. She knows he keeps at least one of them loaded at all times. She also felt his habit of an open door, unsecured narcotics, and unsecured guns was just asking for trouble.

I was unhappy to hear this story. She is a good employee and needed that job, but I had to agree with her that it was an unsafe environment. Her law enforcement friend wants her to file a police report, but she is uncertain if she wants to do that. Her former employer is willing to give her a letter of reference and not contest unemployment while she looks for another job. But she does worry if something bad happens there, she will regret not taking more action and filing the report. Two other women who work there are not happy with the situation either. They did not like it one day when he was using the same handgun to play the laser on the windows across the room over their heads where they were working.

This guy either has never had formal gun safety training, or he simply does not think it applies to him. She still does not know if the gun was loaded at the time.
:eek6 :eek6 :eek6 Wow, and I thought my boss was bad when he suggested that negligent discharges are inevitable and not a big deal. At least he doesn't handle his guns unsafely at work (that I know of).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

I don't know if the local PD would take action on irresponsible gun handling or open doors or the alcohol.
But, I bet the FDA would pounce on the unsecured narcotics allegation.
Just saying.
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

I'm happy to hear your friend was smart enough to get out of that environment.

Good luck for her search.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

AndyC wrote:
TexasGal wrote:...the red dot running up and down her arm was the laser on his glock.
:shock: Someone needs a beating - seriously.

Couldnt that be "ADW"? Someone puts a red dot on me, well lets just say one of us wont be standing
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

tornado

Post by tornado »

:banghead: Wow. This is completely nuts.
TexasGal wrote:She still does not know if the gun was loaded at the time.
Of course it was. That's Jeff Cooper's Rule One. Of course, I really hope it wasn't.

ETA: And depending on the type of laser, his finger may have been inside the trigger guard to activate it. Yikes.

Topic author
TexasGal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasGal »

AndyC wrote:
TexasGal wrote:...the red dot running up and down her arm was the laser on his glock.
:shock: Someone needs a beating - seriously.

Exactly what my first thought was... and my next several thoughts.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

My grandfather, a wise old man once told me (I was 7 years old and about to put down my Stevens .22 rifle after going shooting by myself) if a man points a gun at you, knock the [expletive deleted] out of them, and put them on the floor...Then ask them if its loaded...

Your friend did the right thing, it is hard to quit a job that is working out for you, it is harder to get a new job if you are dead because of a situation like this...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

I was fine till the laser thingy....You point one at me and I point back. Might not end well from there!! Glad she quit.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Sounds like the vet is young and stupid (figuratively speaking). It's all fun and games to him and his buddies until someone gets hurt. By then of course, it's too late. How unfortunate for your friend. Too bad she couldn't formally educate them on firemarm safety rules...

:rules:

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I'd have beaten the living snot that donkey's posterior if I didn't shoot him.

Good for her to quit. Now she needs to turn him in. This idiot is a tragic news story in the making.
Byron Dickens

Return to “Off-Topic”