My Friend Quit Her Job

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My Friend Quit Her Job

Post by Jumping Frog »

OSHA

Seriously. An OSHA complaint can bring a world of misery down on a company.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasCajun »

She should file a report after she finds another job.

I don't know that I would've had her level of self restraint. Point a gun at me & I will respond in kind.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
TexasGal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasGal »

She is still thinking about doing that. She has no wish to cause him trouble for it's own sake, but she does feel a concern for the safety of the people in his environment and the bait he is making available for criminal temptation. He has apologized, but I think that is more because now he's realized he needs to soothe her upset for fear it may get out what he has been doing. The previous owner holds the note on the practice. I can imagine she would not be happy to hear of any of this. He just generally does not seem to see the gravity of his lack of responsibility on several levels. The previous owner was there a couple of days a week at first until the practice changed hands completely and he reportedly crowed loudly like a grade schooler that he was "free at last" when she left the last time. He was unable to do any of these things when the previous owner was there and would know about it. Immaturity can be forgiven, but pointing a gun at employees not so much.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

Jumping Frog wrote:OSHA

:iagree:
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Unleash the hounds.

Topic author
TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I will pass that idea along :tiphat:
NRA Life Member

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:

:iagree:
Most likely, the federal OSHA would not do much, since the veterinarian is probably not engaged in interstate commmerce, and employs less than the number of employees necessary to come under the purview of the federal OSHA, but if there's a state OSHA or an employment commission, I'd definitely consider filing a report - sounds like this is the textbook definition of "hostile work environment" when someone's pointing a weapon (loaded or unloaded) at me!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

katmandu

Post by katmandu »

Sorry to hear about your friend. What a tough situation to have been in, but sure sounds to me like she did the right thing.
He fails to keep the drug box that contains scheduled narcotics and other drugs locked.
An inspector from the Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy wouldn't look too kindly on that.

Tass

Post by Tass »

Open access to narcotics should be of interest to the state vet board. Animal drugs have found a place on the street, especially Ketamine. I've heard of clinics being broken into for the fentanyl & ketamine.

If she wants to come to Houston, I know an emergency clinic that is hiring!

Tass
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

does he not realize this is Oklahoma we're talking about, it's almost like Texas, one of these days he's gonna point that laser at someone and they're gonna point one back and pull

:grumble mumble, mumble, "idiot", mumble, mumble
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bdickens wrote:I'd have beaten the living snot that donkey's posterior if I didn't shoot him.

Good for her to quit. Now she needs to turn him in. This idiot is a tragic news story in the making.
This. You point a loaded gun at me and run a laser up and down me, the first chance I get I'll be filing a police complaint. No joke. And whoever said it first is right....I'll bet the DEA would be REAL interested in the way he handles controlled substances. I'm guessing that he is providing more than moonshine to his buddies. The weird thing is, you have to be pretty smart and put in a whole lot of work to graduate from vet school, so it sounds to me like it isn't lack of intelligence that's driving him, but rather a severely compromised moral compass.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

Complaints related to the drug issue should be made to the DEA, and they take those very seriously. Also a call to the state veterinary board would be in order.

Topic author
TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

He did send her an email apologizing for having intentionally pointed the gun at her. He wrote that he had learned his lesson and it was a stupid thing to do. I am very doubtful, however, that he will now be telling his buddies there will be no more moonshine combined with gun handling or that he will suddenly be studious about keeping the drug box locked. He may be more careful not to paint employees with lasers (at least while he is sober).
For me, the apology is better than nothing, but does not erase the fact he was ever impulsive and stupid enough to do it in the first place. That does not bode well for someone who regularly drinks to the point of being buzzed while handling his guns with his buddies doing the same thing. If any of them had any sense, they would not be participating. He was doing this stuff under the nose of the previous owner anytime she was out of the office, so I doubt my friend having quit will have any lasting effect on his level of wisdom. As has been pointed out, he was smart enough to make it through vet school, so this is not an intelligence problem. It's a lack of self control, morals, and wisdom coupled with an ego that says he gets to do what he wants. Maybe getting his own practice has made him think he is the last word on what goes on there, but he could find out very unpleasantly that also means he is the one on the hot seat. I can just imagine him explaining to the police how many unsecured guns were stolen along with drugs from a back door that shows no sign of forced entry and a drug box that is undamaged. Supposedly the guy's disapproving wife does not know he has the guns at all so he would have some 'splanin to do at home too.
NRA Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

AndyC wrote:
TexasGal wrote:...the red dot running up and down her arm was the laser on his glock.
:shock: Someone needs a beating - seriously.
No, someone needs a serious beating.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

TexasGal wrote:He did send her an email apologizing for having intentionally pointed the gun at her. He wrote that he had learned his lesson and it was a stupid thing to do.
If she wanted to sue for hostile work environment, he just handed her the case on a silver platter. A prior employer had to pay a $5 million settlement for gender-related hostile work environment case.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Off-Topic”