Front License Plate Display Penalty ?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Front License Plate Display Penalty ?

Post by puma guy »

Did the 83rd Legislature do anything to remedy the lack of a penalty that was inadvertently omitted/eliminated last session for failure to display front license plates?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RottenApple

Re: Front License Plate Display Penalty ?

Post by RottenApple »

puma guy wrote:Did the 83rd Legislature do anything to remedy the lack of a penalty that was inadvertently omitted/eliminated last session for failure to display front license plates?
Nope. HB657 died in committee. This would have removed the requirement and DPS would only issue a rear plate. So I looks like both are still required, but no penalty for a missing front plate.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

I don't intend to put a front plate on my Shelby.

So what happens if I get a ticket for that?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

daniel2002p
Posts in topic: 2

Post by daniel2002p »

My car has not had a front plate since new. I cannot get myself to drill holes into a shiny new bumper. I'll deal with the consequences.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

daniel2002p wrote:My car has not had a front plate since new. I cannot get myself to drill holes into a shiny new bumper. I'll deal with the consequences.
Nor has mine, though there are some alternative mounts that are acceptable.
But I did get a written warning from a DPS trooper last month (in another car).
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The front license should be gone. The cop can read the one in the back of a car. Acutally, if the driver is pulled over, there is no need for the license plate number. He would get the DL and insurance paper, pronto.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

I've been pulled over and questioned about no front plate but never given a ticket.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Beiruty wrote:The front license should be gone. The cop can read the one in the back of a car. Acutally, if the driver is pulled over, there is no need for the license plate number. He would get the DL and insurance paper, pronto.
You're missing the whole point for the Front Plate..........
It is primarily used for red light cameras which brings in the revenue! :mad5
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

AEA wrote:
Beiruty wrote:The front license should be gone. The cop can read the one in the back of a car. Acutally, if the driver is pulled over, there is no need for the license plate number. He would get the DL and insurance paper, pronto.
You're missing the whole point for the Front Plate..........
It is primarily used for red light cameras which brings in the revenue! :mad5
Yes, and it is a favorite place for the cop to aim his laser speed gun giving me 1 second more to slow down.

I have never had one on a car and with new cars, I specifically tell them to not install it. I've had plenty of warnings about not having one but never a ticket. Who knows what citation could be issued?
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RX8er wrote:Who knows what citation could be issued?
The citation is not the issue, the law is still on the books.

It's the penalty which is in question and who will adjudicate the charge should the person cited decide to contest and ask for a day in court.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

E.Marquez wrote:
RX8er wrote:Who knows what citation could be issued?
The citation is not the issue, the law is still on the books.

It's the penalty which is in question and who will adjudicate the charge should the person cited decide to contest and ask for a day in court.
Maybe it's a test. If someone doesn't know better, they'll pay what the ticket says, no matter if they're legally obligated to. :lol:

Other states seem to do fine with one plate. Even in Texas, it doesn't seem to cause the sky to fall when a motorcycle drives by displaying only the single plate issued for it.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

I keep my front plate in the glove box with four suction cups I purchased at Ace just in case I get pulled over and get a talking to about it I can just suction it to the windshield. So far have not had to resort to that.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

Wes

Post by Wes »

I've been questioned about it several times and received a ticket for it once a long time ago. At that time, I had to take a picture of it installed to get it dismissed and paid te $20-25 fee. I don't have one on now and just don't worry about it. No way I'm drilling my bumper to install one.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

daniel2002p wrote:I keep my front plate in the glove box with four suction cups I purchased at Ace just in case I get pulled over and get a talking to about it I can just suction it to the windshield. So far have not had to resort to that.

--Daniel
Just so you know.. Windshield location does not meet the requirements of the law.according to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. ...If the trooper or other LEO has/will be citing you because he knows the law and appropriate court rulings ( the LEOs I know,, understand this as they use it as PC for a stop)...your plan will not get you passed it.
This is a snippet
"The law seems simple enough. Nevertheless, the past two years of case law updates have given readers interesting court
opinions debating the requirement that a license plate be displayed at the front and rear of the vehicle. The Austin Court
of Appeals held that Section 502.404 does not require that the front license plate be displayed on the front bumper, just
that the plate be visible from the front of the vehicle.4
In contrast, the Amarillo Court of Appeals held that the front license
plate must be displayed on the foremost area of the car.5
The Court of Criminal Appeals settled the disagreement in Spence
v. State, 325 S.W.3d 646 (2010) when it agreed with the Amarillo Court of Appeals and held that the statute requires the
license plate to be on the foremost area or beginning of the car, most commonly the front bumper.6
Judge Meyers, in a
dissent joined by Judge Hervey, posited that if the front of the vehicle means the front bumper, then the rear of the vehicle
should mean the back bumper; however, most often, rear plates are mounted on the vehicle’s trunk and not the actual
bumper. Judge Meyers opined that “[t]he only thing about this statute that is clear is that it is not well written.”
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

DPS doesn't issue plates.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Off-Topic”