Word use that drives you up the wall!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Word use that drives you up the wall!

Post by G26ster »

Abraham wrote:WildBill,

A plain old fashioned "Your Welcome" works for me.

"Your Welcome" is a simple exercise of social deportment that doesn't impute "Pleasure", but satisfies an exchange of niceties.

Doing some form of work for others is just that: Work, not pleasure. The person one does the work/service for doesn't for one moment think the worker found his effort a pleasure, unless maybe he's a masochist...

However, if I do some form of work for myself, such as mowing my yard, once back in the house, I look in the mirror and loudly proclaim: "My Pleasure" with a simultaneous, energetic shake of the head up and down and then I jump into the shower!
I think it's "You're welcome"

In any case, as you say, it's just a nicety and a very vague one at that. What am I welcome to do? Come back, visit your home, marry your daughter? No real definition here. Just a nicety with nothing specific implied. Same with "My pleasure." Just a nicety with no specific meaning. My pleasure to serve you, inform you, assist you, get my palm greased by you? Doesn't matter as it's nothing specific, just a "nicety" with the same vagueness as "You're welcome." MHO

From the same source, with the same meaning: "polite response to thanks."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... re-welcome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... y-pleasure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Abraham »

G26ster,

You're correct.

Occasionally, I misspell a word or two too, but egad, punctuation for me is my great white whale.

I fling periods and commas about like salt and pepper, never knowing if I'm accurately winging them.

I like to think it's part of my bohemian charm, such as it is...

WildBill
Posts in topic: 109

Post by WildBill »

Many years ago, while in high school, I worked in a restaurant - a chain steakhouse popular during the 60-70s era.

I remember one day the manager was training one of the foreign cooks how to greet customers.

He was told the say "My pleasure to serve you."

After the manager finished his training, he left the kitchen.

The cook looked at me and snarled, "My pleasure to serve you, hah, I'd like to serve you this!"

This, of course, was accompanied by the appropriate hand gesture. "rlol"
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Dadtodabone »

G26ster wrote:
Abraham wrote:WildBill,

A plain old fashioned "Your Welcome" works for me.

"Your Welcome" is a simple exercise of social deportment that doesn't impute "Pleasure", but satisfies an exchange of niceties.

Doing some form of work for others is just that: Work, not pleasure. The person one does the work/service for doesn't for one moment think the worker found his effort a pleasure, unless maybe he's a masochist...

However, if I do some form of work for myself, such as mowing my yard, once back in the house, I look in the mirror and loudly proclaim: "My Pleasure" with a simultaneous, energetic shake of the head up and down and then I jump into the shower!
I think it's "You're welcome"

In any case, as you say, it's just a nicety and a very vague one at that. What am I welcome to do? Come back, visit your home, marry your daughter? No real definition here. Just a nicety with nothing specific implied. Same with "My pleasure." Just a nicety with no specific meaning. My pleasure to serve you, inform you, assist you, get my palm greased by you? Doesn't matter as it's nothing specific, just a "nicety" with the same vagueness as "You're welcome." MHO

From the same source, with the same meaning: "polite response to thanks."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... re-welcome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... y-pleasure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was taught that in informal situations the correct response to "Thank You" was a polite smile and a short nod of the head, or if wearing one, a tip of the hat from the front of the brim. Informal situation, but with thanks presented from a senior or an older person, would include the former with the addition of "Ma'am" or "Sir" which ever the case maybe.
Formal situations are fraught with peril for those who haven't read Emily Post or been tutored by my mothers hand. As illustrated by the previous posts, guessing wrong can create ill will in a moment.
"You're Welcome", while banal, is the appropriate response to thanks in a formal situation to someone higher in the perceived pecking order, as in server to customer.
"My Pleasure" is for formal use between social equals when a service of some magnitude has been rendered, such as hosting a cocktail hour for a political candidate, a bridal/baby shower or some other large event.
"Don't Mention It" "Think Nothing Of It" are used formally only and from a senior to a junior, and only when a major service has been rendered: a recommendation which led to a substantial change in position/employment, a grant of land or funds. The intent of the terms was to alleviate the sense of obligation from the act(the polar opposite of what a Don Corleone would mean using the terms), a remnant of noblesse oblige. Although today such usage could be viewed as condescending by the untutored.
"No Problem" "Anytime" are never appropriate in a formal situation. Their use by friends or social equals in informal situations may be acceptable, I suppose. Though one term denigrates the act that incited the thanks and the other establishes a continuing obligation of service. I, personally, would never use either term.

p.s.
Noblesse Oblige. This term has developed a negative connotation in the last 20 years or so as more folks become unaware of its meaning: The inferred responsibility of privileged people to act with generosity and nobility toward those less privileged.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Bank" and/or "Coin" - As in, "you'll make some serious bank".

People who speak like this must watch too many movies...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"It's all good"!

Another obnoxious circumlocution.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 8

Post by MeMelYup »

"I'd like to appreciate," someone's name. The like to drives me up the wall. I would like to say to the speaker, "why don't you appreciate them?"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Performance Artist"

What a crock - Usually, ahem, performed by some talentless, Che Guevara t-shirt wearing, late twenties, early thirties, hipster/hippie still living at home with Mom and Dad.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:"Performance Artist"

What a crock - Usually, ahem, performed by some talentless, Che Guevara t-shirt wearing, late twenties, early thirties, hipster/hippie still living at home with Mom and Dad.
Yoko? :headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"Life Coach"

Just hearing this scam's title makes me grit my teeth!

How about this one: Life Coach - Age: 20 (I'm not making this up)

I'm absolutely convinced she can help you realize your life's destiny and will help you become completely fulfilled, because she's like wise...

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

"optics" instead of appearance. Seems to be the current buzzword for the talking heads and politicians.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Sorry mojo84, but stating anything in plain English is not practiced by these cankers.

How on earth would they be able to sound pretentious if they used understandable terms and words?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

"I don't disagree with anything you said."

Does this mean that you agree with everything that he said?

Or ... ?
NRA Endowment Member

Count
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Count »

WildBill wrote:"I don't disagree with anything you said."

I don't know what it means to the person who said it to you and I'm sure some people use it as double-speak.

However, during my Big 4 years, I worked with a partner who used "I don't disagree" to indicate what was said was true, but might not be the whole truth. Sometimes the gap was incomplete data. Sometimes it was not seeing the forest for the trees. Sometimes he agreed with the facts but not the conclusion. The phrase seemed like his way of softening constructive criticism to staff.
The information in this message is not provided in the course of a client relationship and is not intended as legal, accounting, or other professional advice.

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Dadtodabone »

Count wrote:
WildBill wrote:"I don't disagree with anything you said."

I don't know what it means to the person who said it to you and I'm sure some people use it as double-speak.

However, during my Big 4 years, I worked with a partner who used "I don't disagree" to indicate what was said was true, but might not be the whole truth. Sometimes the gap was incomplete data. Sometimes it was not seeing the forest for the trees. Sometimes he agreed with the facts but not the conclusion. The phrase seemed like his way of softening constructive criticism to staff.
Well put.
I have an uncle who was an Arthur Young and Co. partner back in the "Big 8" days. I don't believe he ever softened his criticism of anything....
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Return to “Off-Topic”